Four 2.1 Tidbits

Status
Not open for further replies.
^Blue Mountain Zone has been scrapped. Red Volcano will be a regular, 3-Act zone, centered on the lava/volcanic theme, but there's the possibility of Act 2 having exterior sections (the end of Act 1 even implies this!).

But we could still have a volcano covered in blizzard snow...

Devs, just tell me if you're gonna make a snow-based zone/act or not, so I can leave it at that.

But we could still have a volcano covered in blizzard snow...

Devs, just tell me if you're gonna make a snow-based zone/act or not, so I can leave it at that.

It's pretty much been confirmed for months now that there will be no Blue Mountain Zone or whatever, as it has been scrapped in favour of an actual RVZ2. The SRB2 Wiki says it, even.

It's pretty much been confirmed for months now that there will be no Blue Mountain Zone or whatever, as it has been scrapped in favour of an actual RVZ2. The SRB2 Wiki says it, even.

But why would they scrap BMZ in favor of another volcano act? And besides, I like the idea of RVZ -> BMZ, it's something fairly original and SRB2 has some nice ice theme textures to work with.

As a member of the development team, I'll go ahead and confirm that BMZ was never really meant to be a fully-fledged act. I mean, if somebody had taken it and made it into a fully-fledged act, which was the intent behind its inclusion, then that'd be one thing, but nobody bit, so we're going ahead with our original plans.

(I'm pretty sure SSNTails has said all this publicly before, anyway.)

Nah, it was really much simpler than that: AJ ran out of ideas for RVZ, and therefore came up with the BMZ alternative, and put the proof of concept into 2.0. Just so you all know, there are already a small work in progress version of RVZ2, and it is most definitely a volcano stage with lots of lava.

I'd also like to note that a lot of the level endings have changed in 2.1 already. There are far less "transition" exits and spawn points, and everything is a lot more standardized. RVZ1 now ends on a normal end-level sign on perfectly stable ground.

As a member of the development team, I'll go ahead and confirm that BMZ was never really meant to be a fully-fledged act. I mean, if somebody had taken it and made it into a fully-fledged act, which was the intent behind its inclusion, then that'd be one thing, but nobody bit, so we're going ahead with our original plans.

(I'm pretty sure SSNTails has said all this publicly before, anyway.)

Hello there

It's not vanilla Srb2, but you can't say no one bit, at least one of us did.

I might do a Blue Mountain Zone for the contest now that you mention it...

Hey guys. Returning for the first time in nearly two years, I think. I was itching to play the game again, but I wanted to make sure I still had the latest version. Finding the tidbits for the 2.1 on the home page was exciting. Just to be clear though...they are real right? Not a weird joke?

Want my opinion on this? We are not ready to see it out before next december...But it would surely be a nice gift from the developpers to do so. How many time did I heard about those famous update...and there was no beta to support them. I wish there was but it's nothing like it unfortunatly. It would be too much trouble I think?

But on the good side of the medal, those updates look fabulous!...I just wish I could learn my C language faster at my school to script a Lua...Heh...

This is THE new armagedon shield huh?...I'm STARVING...You haven't filled up my interest-belly...Show me more =3...Like the bubble shield for instance(Blue shield if you prefer)...heheh...

I've heard lua will just have the abilitys exe's have, just slightly less flexibility, so the only benefit will be that the file won't be all big and bulky. Is this true, because I thought making it so the stage is able to be modified ingame was even inpossible with exe's. Heh, I hope you know what I mean. >=P

Is this true, because I thought making it so the stage is able to be modified ingame was even inpossible with exe's. Heh, I hope you know what I mean. >=P
Why should it be impossible? As long as you know how to code it, everything is possible with EXEs. If you edit the source code and compile it into a new EXE, you can modify and rewrite SRB2 as much as you like. You can do anything you want.

I've heard lua will just have the abilitys exe's have, just slightly less flexibility, so the only benefit will be that the file won't be all big and bulky.
There are two other big benefits I can think of:

1. You don't have to compile the code.
  2. You can add two or more Lua scripts to the game, but you can only run one EXE at a time. So while it's impossible to combine the features of two EXE mods without making a new EXE mod, you can combine the features of two Lua scripts by just adding both to the game.

You can add two or more Lua scripts to the game, but you can only run one EXE at a time. So while it's impossible to combine the features of two EXE mods without making a new EXE mod, you can combine the features of two Lua scripts by just adding both to the game.
So for exemple,if Kalaron and ZarroTsu/Kitoko makes a LUA edition of SRB2CB and SSRB2KZ,we can combine both?

So for exemple,if Kalaron and ZarroTsu/Kitoko makes a LUA edition of SRB2CB and SSRB2KZ,we can combine both?

Yeah, that sounds pretty possible.

But the fact is, can all the features of SRB2CB and SSRB2KZ be converted to LUA, and can the authors be bothered?

.. Remember that all EXE mods and maybe some WADs will become incompatable on the update to SRB2 2.1

..cantwait

I'm pretty sure it's not even half-possible to port the entirety of changes in those EXE modes to Lua scripts.
While Lua can do much that you could only do with EXE modding, please note the use of the word 'much'. (i.e not everything.)

Classic Sonic games that HAD a snow level: Sonic 3.

While I personally wouldn't mind eventually having a snow level in SRB2, it isn't like ice levels are particularly common in classic Sonic. There's only Ice Cap.

Don't forget Robotnik Winter from Sonic Triple Trouble.
And Frozen Bell from NiGHTS Into Dreams.
And another Ice Cap from Sonic Drift 2.
Yet Another Ice Cap in Sonic Adventure.
And Blizzard Peaks from Sonic Rush Adventure.
Next, Ice Mountain in Sonic Advance.
Also there's Ice Paradise from Sonic Advance 2.
And it recurr's again, Twinkle Snow in Sonic Advance 3.
Then there's White Acropolis from Sonic The Hedgehog for Xbox.

It's pretty popular, just as common as fire levels about.

Most of those games aren't even classic.

The newest game in that lineup is Sonic The Hedgehog for Xbox. And that's back in 2006. As far as I'm concerned, these games are classic, compared to the Modern Sonic nowadays. (Not sure about you, but this is getting a tad off-topic.)

Status
Not open for further replies.

Who is viewing this thread (Total: 1, Members: 0, Guests: 1)

Back