• Do not use Works in Progress as a way of avoiding the releases system! Works in Progress can be used for sharing early betas and for getting suggestions for improvement. Releases of finished content are not allowed in this forum! If you would like to submit a finished addon, click here for instructions on how to do so.

Flame has level makers block and requires help.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Flame

WR 102
This is indeed true!
Rarely whenever I try to create a piece of work, like a level for instance, I run into something that I call level makers block.

Synopsis;
Basically what I'll do is post a level that I'm working on that I'm having trouble continuing. I'll accept whatever constructive critisicm is offered, but please no useless posts.

Map 1:
Emerald Hill (Map 60) (RACE);
Incomplete Layout:
levellayout1yn2.jpg

http://www.sendspace.com/file/1ixqk2

This map has a large area of building space. Almost exact to that to the size of a King of the Hill map (Har har, remember Floral Canyon?) WHICH I WANT TO USE. I'm later planning to fill this with scenery objects, land, and other special things.
What I have so far is what you see in the overhead map. This is actually one of my first good race levels with a branching pathway as you see in the map overview, and another which I plan to do involving A_SetSolidStream hopefully.

But enough of the random jargon! Where I'm stuck is at the second checkpoint that is in the bottom-most square-like sector. I have had an idea of making a spring that springs downward, entering onto either a waterslide or into a cave or over somewhere else but I'm not sure what to do.

---------------------------------------------------

Ideas? Suggestions? All are welcome.
More maps as they come along, and thanks in advance.

If you want ideas, have 1-2 reasonably large dangerous platforms leading along the cliffside at the checkpoint. A safer path can be taken below, but make it somewhat longer. Also, are you going for a looping track, or a one-shot race? I'd loop it around soon if you were planning to do that.

Also, the springs through the breakable wall is bugged if you accidentally thok at the bustable wall from the other side.

EDIT:I'll let you know if I think of any neat things to make.

I'm sure you know this already, but in circuit, sometimes short and sweet is the best. Keep in mind that we'll have to do several laps each time we load the map, so long can be tedious sometimes.

BlueZero4 said:
I'm sure you know this already, but in circuit, sometimes short and sweet is the best. Keep in mind that we'll have to do several laps each time we load the map, so long can be tedious sometimes.

Or it's a single racetrack to *get to the end of the stage* type of race.

Anywyas, by the looks of DB, it looks pretty good at the moment, I'll give it a try out.

That level is all wrong. You're supposed to make it shaped like the playboy bunny! -raped-

I have an idea: Maybe you should have this last section involve jumping from platform to platform, with a waterfall nearby them. Make some of these platforms crumbling ones. Make the series of platforms go up and reach a ledge that joins to the end of the circuit.

Other suggestions: Maybe you could use the textures, and scenery from the real Emerald Hill. Add more waterfalls too.

I happen to like Monster Iestyn's idea, and I think I know how to pull it off too. I like the idea of making new waterfalls as well.
But in case if I do my idea of pulling this off like crap.. Monster, would you be able to supply a diagram?

Also Kuja, thanks for telling me about the springs.

Flame_the_hedgehog said:
I happen to like Monster Iestyn's idea, and I think I know how to pull it off too. I like the idea of making new waterfalls as well.
But in case if I do my idea of pulling this off like crap.. Monster, would you be able to supply a diagram?

Urmm... I'm not so sure about that... I'll see if I can get myself to make one for you if I can...

So I took Monster Iestyn's idea and got a basic completed layout of the Emerald Hill level.
emeraldhilldm5.jpg

Now to add scenery objects! As you can see, I have a lot of space still. I'll probably wind up shifting everything in the map over and center it more. Otherwise I'll use it for scenery placement.
Can you find all of the changes I made from the incomplete layout and guess what all of those sectors at the bottom of the map are planned to be used for? :P

EMPEROR METALLIX said:
I think you could put some decorative shuttle loops in...
Also is this based on of Act 1?
Or act 2?
This isn't really based off any act, it's moreso based off Emerald Hill zone as a whole. At least that's how I think of it. I might consider putting in a shuttle loop although I had more of an idea to do those Sonic 1 style spinning tubes. Something similar to what I did in my old Sonic 1 Mod.

Wow. For a race map that seems... complex. Almost like a full level.
Anyways, I thought things like Shuttle Loops and stuff were impossible to do on the Doom Enigne?

Nathan Speed said:
Wow. For a race map that seems... complex. Almost like a full level.
Anyways, I thought things like Shuttle Loops and stuff were impossible to do on the Doom Enigne?
You can sort of make fake ones for scenery.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Who is viewing this thread (Total: 1, Members: 0, Guests: 1)

Back