Editing SRB2 with Game Engine

Status
Not open for further replies.
Soviet Russia Blast? No?

Seriously, does nobody remember? Rings collect Sonic, Monitors make Sonic explode into a pile of blood (but not his shoes)?
And all of that is proof enough that reversing game mechanics does not work. It's good for a couple of laughs (try to beat a special stage...) and nothing more.

You know, there is one thing you could do, although it would take a fair amount of work. You could create a mod in which you start at, say, the end of ERZ2, and work your way back to the start of that level, which would then be the end. Then, you'd play all the levels backwards in reverse order.

However, it's not that simple. You'd have to go into the maps and change how a lot of sectors work to make that happen.

And it wouldn't work on boss levels. Anyway, something like this was done for 1.09.4, and it didn't work out very well. Huge chunks of the levels become redundant (areas where you need to go up can be cleared by jumping down, skipping all the platforming) and others would be impossible (if you enter a room from a high entrance, how are you supposed to get back up again?). After all, it wouldn't be worth it.

Well, the levels would have modifications throughout to make those impossible jumps or sealed gates possible to get through. If done properly, this mod wouldn't just have the start positions switched and a few entries changed in MAINCFG; this would require serious work to be good.

Also, in my view, the boss battles would still be at the end of each act, but the order of encounters for bosses would be reversed. You'd fight the GFZ3 Eggman boss in ERZ3, and vise versa.

You know? I might actually try doing this if I get a chance. It's more likely to end up crappy than good, but it does have potential.

It's not as easy as you think to fix these problems. You know that room in DSZ1 that you enter from a high waterslide and then you fall into the water and have to make your way up? If you played that in reverse, there would be nothing left to do. The only possible way of fixing it would be a spring (boring) or putting some platforms there to reach that high entrance (looks unnatural). And trust me, there are a lot of those situations in SRB2's levles.

Well, the levels would have modifications throughout to make those impossible jumps or sealed gates possible to get through. If done properly, this mod wouldn't just have the start positions switched and a few entries changed in MAINCFG; this would require serious work to be good.

Also, in my view, the boss battles would still be at the end of each act, but the order of encounters for bosses would be reversed. You'd fight the GFZ3 Eggman boss in ERZ3, and vise versa.

You know? I might actually try doing this if I get a chance. It's more likely to end up crappy than good, but it does have potential.

That would be pretty cool but I think to make it right you start at the last level at act 3 fighting the last boss then going down to beat the first level at act 1. Though I like the idea of switching bosses but I never had switching bosses in mind only the reverse of levels and acts.

The main problem with that, other than just being bland, is that there is a difficulty curve in the game where the game starts easy at the beginning and works up to the high difficulty at the end. Starting in the last level would be stupid because all the really hard stuff is thrown at you before you're ready to take it down, while later on in the game you breeze through the first level that's a complete joke.

Gimmicks like this are good for a cheap laugh and nothing more.

You know, there is one thing you could do, although it would take a fair amount of work. You could create a mod in which you start at, say, the end of ERZ2, and work your way back to the start of that level, which would then be the end. Then, you'd play all the levels backwards in reverse order.

However, it's not that simple. You'd have to go into the maps and change how a lot of sectors work to make that happen.
Actually isn't the start of ERZ2 on the ceiling? and isnt there a path towards the entrance at the end anyways? Not to mention DSZ2's start.

No, we comprehend what you're thinking just fine. The issue is that it's just a terrible idea and you don't seem to comprehend that.

If you want to try and make it, feel free. If you succeed in finishing it, go ahead and make a release submission. But further discussion on this is utterly pointless, and will go nowhere. Topic locked.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Who is viewing this thread (Total: 1, Members: 0, Guests: 1)

Back