Eclipse Edition

Eclipse Edition Demo 0.1.1

WHOA- IT'S OUT! *explodes*
Sorry- uh, anyway, hopefully I will remember to download this later and play it!! I've been wondering if you were still working on this!

interesting.... might check out the alpha-proto demo thing
hopefully the new story isn't bad, although the story in sonic games is a little repetitive, usually involving eggman trying to do you know what.
im guessing the plan here will try to be cooler than earlier sonic games and kinda classic sonic in general like srb2's story
oh yeah one more thing: good luck andromeda

this is pretty cool so far the visuals are quite nice but i have few problems with this.
srb20170.png

its not very clear where you are supposed to go here, i eventually figured it out but i feel like either making the honey more enticing to go in with maybe some rings or something to make it more obvious you're supposed to jump in the honey.

srb20169.png

its impossible to leave this area if you accidently fall in with sonic even if you lower the water level.

and i dont have a screenshot for this but you cant get to braks head to actually deal damage at least with sonic. i know you can deal damage with the missiles but im sure im not the only one who doesnt wanna wait for the missile attack to go so i ended up using tails to fly over his head to hit himself. also it probably had something to do with my control style but the missiles kept flying up into the ceiling when i grabbed onto them, i dont fight that version of brak often so idk.

theres also that button at the start of the toxic level i forgot the name of but i think im just being nitpicky with that one, mostly because i dont like how it stops your movements for a sec or two to show you the door opening idk maybe im impatient but i dont think you had to show the door opening idk just my opinion i guess.

other than all that this shows some promise so i hope to see this continued and maybe have a few problems i had addressed.

Interesting, just tried this and it's clearly unfinished but what's there looks very promising and of very high quality. Looking forward to check this out whenever it becomes properly playable.

It would be unfair to leave a formal review, so I will leave some points here.

First off, I am not sure why this is over 90 megabytes, the custom texture work does not seem to yet be to the extent that warrants such a filesize. Did you include any unneeded assets by mistake?

Second, it is clear some polish is needed. Honeydew Valley has an excellent start area, but after that you see unescapable spike pits and ways forward that are practically invisible (in particular, the one through the honey, the colormap needs to have a slower fade).

The metal sonic fight with the flashing red light, it is a difficult fight so early on that is difficult to really focus on when the red light starts flashing, and the game freezes if you run out of lives in the process.

The first boss area and the toxic factory clearly shows high quality level geometry and texturing though (with the latter showing excellent lighting effects). Toxic Factory itself was clearly the high point of the pack and shows your potential in creating high quality gameplay.

I know the intent is that this is supposed to be a large level pack, but it does not feel like that at the moment, the tags can be changed over time if needed.

Overall, I know this is just a demo, but I do think a bit of polish is needed before proceeding with the next step.

Last edited:
It would be unfair to leave a formal review, so I will leave some points here.

First off, I am not sure why this is over 90 megabytes, the custom texture work does not seem to yet be to the extent that warrants such a filesize. Did you include any unneeded assets by mistake?

Second, it is clear some polish is needed. Honeydew Valley has an excellent start area, but after that you see unescapable spike pits and ways forward that are practically invisible (in particular, the one through the honey, the colormap needs to have a slower fade).

The metal sonic fight with the flashing red light, it is a difficult fight so early on that is difficult to really focus on when the red light starts flashing, and the game freezes if you run out of lives in the process.

The first boss area and the toxic factory clearly shows high quality level geometry and texturing though (with the latter showing excellent lighting effects). Toxic Factory itself was clearly the high point of the pack and shows your potential in creating high quality gameplay.

I know the intent is that this is supposed to be a large level pack, but it does not feel like that at the moment, the tags can be changed over time if needed.

Overall, I know this is just a demo, but I do think a bit of polish is needed before proceeding with the next step.
Thanks for your feedback.
First off, I'm not sure why the file size is that big. It may be the case I did accidentally include unnecessary assets. This will of course be fixed by the first full demo.
Secondly, I agree. In hindsight, having two "death pits" was not a good idea. I struggled to make that cave section and it will be revisited, as will the way up to the higher areas.
Thirdly, that metal sonic boss IS NOT an early boss. I never completed any other maps to a releasable point. That boss is actually at the END of the campaign. Also, strange bug you encountered with the freezing. I never encountered it myself.

I agree, polishing is definitely in order when I get back to working on this project, after my break.

Thirdly, that metal sonic boss IS NOT an early boss. I never completed any other maps to a releasable point.
Understood, I personally do not try to stretch myself too thin by creating a bunch of different maps at once, but everyone works differently.

ok so i checked it out, its interesting
while i might've not gotten past metal fighter just yet i can see some potential in this mod
edit: made it past metal fighter, why the hell did you use 2.0 brak as the final boss

Last edited:
Uh, I'm playing it now, just rage quit during the Metal Sonic fight and found my save file was still on the first boss. Beat him again, quit to title, went back and the save's still on the first boss. I apparently can't progress past this point? Any ideas?

Uh, I'm playing it now, just rage quit during the Metal Sonic fight and found my save file was still on the first boss. Beat him again, quit to title, went back and the save's still on the first boss. I apparently can't progress past this point? Any ideas?
yeah sorry, that'll be my bad. didn't have the game save before that boss.
either that, or because they're so many maps apart, I asked it to save on a map you can't access in the mod.

Understood, I personally do not try to stretch myself too thin by creating a bunch of different maps at once, but everyone works differently.
You might have missed it, but in a cutscene It states that the demo is just everything I've worked on that's in a playable state.
I also have ADHD, so its hard for me to focus on just one thing at a time.

Also, for anyone else who come across this, Messaging me via Discord or in the linked Discord server in the description is the easiest way to contact me.

Last edited:
This was a refreshing set of levels. I made a little update to the mod's "trails" lua lump to be less error-prone, more optimized, and only affect the vanilla cast. Add it in if you like!

Attachments

• Trails.lua
    1.1 KB · Views: 34
I understand that this is in development, but when loading the addon from the menu, a LOT of errors are displayed in the console.

Who is viewing this thread (Total: 1, Members: 0, Guests: 1)

Back