Duplicate Each Time executor + Floor Touch trigger activates without touching floor

Status
Not open for further replies.

Liliam

If you tag an Each Time linedef executor to a Floor Touch trigger, the linedef executor will activate if the player is anywhere within the sector. Continuous and Once executors work fine.

Last edited by a moderator:
Each Time is special and requires extra setup. No, I don't remember what. I think an official level or two uses it, though.

The way I've learned it, Each Time can be very fickle and is only intended for use in very specialized contexts. Generally, Continuous or Once get the job done fine.

Each Time is special and requires extra setup. No, I don't remember what. I think an official level or two uses it, though.
I just went through all the single player levels, and the only ones who use Floor Touch + Each Time are CEZ2 and ERZ1. The effect is busted in both.

CEZ2 uses it for the little switches that change the water level in that one last room. All of the switches are on FOFs, except for one. The ones on FOFs work fine -- the water level changes only when the player touches the top of the FOF. The single one that works directly on the target sector is busted -- just going over it changes the water.

ERZ1 uses it for two purposes. In the first crusher room right after taking the left path, there are red and yellow crushers. The red ones are supposed to be activated simply by entering the sector. The yellow ones are supposed to require touching the floor. Both are triggered by just entering the sector.

The other place ERZ1 uses it is the part with the really quick floor crushers. Once again, supposed to activate on floor touch, just entering the sector will do.

If there's some weird way to make it work properly (other than always using FOFs), then the official levels' authors didn't know about it.

(Moreover, I'm pretty sure this combination worked fine in 1.09.4. Under such pressing evidence, I conclude that it might really be a bug.)

Hmm, I coulda swore it used to work... does it work in 2.0.4?

Each Time works vastly different from 1.09.4, since it's been totally rewritten to do exactly what it says - monitor when the player enters and leaves the sector rather than when they jump and 'land' in the sector (ala 1.09.4). Thinking about it more, I don't think the new Each Time is meant to work properly with the Floor Touch activation. Instead, make a FOF and place it along the floor of the sector you want affected.

But like I said, I don't really remember the details and this is partial speculation. If you look in the source code there should be a T_EachTime thinker or something like that which sits in the sector and watches for players.

Hmm, I coulda swore it used to work... does it work in 2.0.4?
No, it does not. This issue was reported way back when 2.0 was released, so it's always been this way.

Each Time works vastly different from 1.09.4, since it's been totally rewritten to do exactly what it says - monitor when the player enters and leaves the sector rather than when they jump and 'land' in the sector (ala 1.09.4).
Is this really the expected behaviour, though? If you combined an Each Time executor with a Floor Touch trigger, what would you expect? I'd expect it to trigger each time I touch the floor. I mean, that's what it says in the label!

Instead, it does exactly the same thing as Each Time + Anywhere in Sector. That's kinda redundant.

Yeah, I remember messing with Each Time + Floor Touch before. I'm not sure if there was bugs with it in 1.09, but when it changed in 2.0 it kinda ruined useful gimmicks and such. I think it should be reverted to the 1.09 way and tested with every trigger possible to see what the problem was that caused the change for 2.0 and work from there.

The Each Time thinker was set up so you could do things like "each time the player enters this water, make this happen". You really can't do that with any other type of activator, especially in a multiplayer environment. It's likely it just needs a little bit of bugfixing rather than kicking it to the curb.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Who is viewing this thread (Total: 1, Members: 0, Guests: 1)

Back