Difficulty: Srb2 can't be played Casually

Nightmare

The Guardian Of Order
I Don't Understand why you have to sweat to beat some maps it's almost like you have to play this game for 20 years to play the levels casually

That's how a lot of games with difficulty curves function, like the Genesis games. The best I can say is

git gud

Because the maps were designed that way. Most people on the development team like challenging games, and also have a lot of experience with this game, which is only natural for such a long-running game. SRB2's maps have had this level of difficulty since 2.0 was released (back in 2009!), and since then there hasn't been any developer interest in making the maps significantly easier, aside from removing actively unfair areas and improving the overall difficulty curve. However, 2.2 did focus on reducing difficulty in other areas, by adding a more generous continues/lives system, saving the game at each act rather than just the start of each zone, and making the game's controls more accessible to newer players.

If SRB2's difficulty level is still not to your liking, and you're not willing to learn and improve at the core game (or as some people would say, "git gud"), there are plenty of ways to make the experience more "casual"; like playing as stronger/overpowered (custom) characters, using cheats, or playing different maps altogether.

By the way, since you mention it in your signature: do you have any constructive feedback on CEZ & ACZ's enemy placement? As someone who has been involved with the design of those zones (especially CEZ), I can't really work with just "bad". The only thing I would personally call "bad" about those zones' enemies is the BASH in ACZ, which will see a redesign in the next major version update.

Because the maps were designed that way. Most people on the development team like challenging games, and also have a lot of experience with this game, which is only natural for such a long-running game. SRB2's maps have had this level of difficulty since 2.0 was released (back in 2009!), and since then there hasn't been any developer interest in making the maps significantly easier, aside from removing actively unfair areas and improving the overall difficulty curve. However, 2.2 did focus on reducing difficulty in other areas, by adding a more generous continues/lives system, saving the game at each act rather than just the start of each zone, and making the game's controls more accessible to newer players.

If SRB2's difficulty level is still not to your liking, and you're not willing to learn and improve at the core game (or as some people would say, "git gud"), there are plenty of ways to make the experience more "casual"; like playing as stronger/overpowered (custom) characters, using cheats, or playing different maps altogether.

By the way, since you mention it in your signature: do you have any constructive feedback on CEZ & ACZ's enemy placement? As someone who has been involved with the design of those zones (especially CEZ), I can't really work with just "bad". The only thing I would personally call "bad" about those zones' enemies is the BASH in ACZ, which will see a redesign in the next major version update.
After Beating the game 3 times I respect the level design more however I don't know where the hell to go in CEZ act 2 it's just kinda me jumping around until I get to the last part. and Sonic Carries his full speed into jumps making him almost like butter to control sometimes really bad for platforming.

After Beating the game 3 times I respect the level design more however I don't know where the hell to go in CEZ act 2 it's just kinda me jumping around until I get to the last part. and Sonic Carries his full speed into jumps making him almost like butter to control sometimes really bad for platforming.
while i found the game to be like that at first, over the last few months of playing it i grew used to the physics and mechanics and honestly it's much more fun than most recent official games where you literally hold one button and win *cough* forces *cough*

Honestly, it didn't really take that long for me to get better at the game. I know the maps pretty well (enough to get to the end of the stage and some for spotting tokens or emblems), how to defeat all the bosses without dying once, the chaos emeralds are almost a joke to me now (screw the 6th and 7th one though lol), and I can pretty much beat the game without getting a game over maybe but probably not able to beat the game without dying. Sonic can be hard so that is understandable but just play tag as him often and you'll see your improvements, but thats the thing about Sonic. He's very fast but his downfall is platforming (It literally even says it in the css why are you complaining about that), but I wouldn't really say he has butter physics just as long as you learn to control his speed.

Automatic braking exists for this reason, have even tried to do jumps quickly by releasing controls entirely (aka going neutral), moving a bit towards your next jump, then repeating it? The you can de-accelerate quickly by holding back even for a second or two, the former is a little more resilient in the air though. So you need to reliably gain speed, lose it, and get some of it back to make precise jumps. You need to learn how to gain and lose speed midair if you're trying unbutter Sonic, maybe 5 years worth of straight play has given me what I need. There's a lot about how you turn in this game and you need to internalize the sensitivity of the controls, even I struggle to not ram into enemies on the occasion.

You should really try and learn how Modern Sonic's drifting works if you want to gain some good ideas on how you can turn.

Who is viewing this thread (Total: 1, Members: 0, Guests: 1)

Back