Delfile in normal SRB2

Status
Not open for further replies.

Sky Ninja

I was looking through the source code of srb2 (I made sure it was the normal source codebecause I re-extracted it just before from the source exe) and I found this string:
Code:
#ifdef ALLOW_UNLOAD
	COM_AddCommand("delfile", Command_UnloadWAD_f);

Delfile was pretty buggy. It often resulted in mid-level oddities, partial unloading, and segment violations. To be honest, I think leaving it out was a good thing. I'm not really a fan of the model that Doom uses to modify the game since instead of appending resources and redirecting, it replaces them. It's difficult to reverse this process as the resource format is not self-contained.

So in short, no.

Except that DELFILE is in 1.1, as I recall.

I did some testing on a newer DELFILE that fixed a lot of those issues. This was a while back, and I'm not 100% sure of what ultimately happened to it, but I'm fairly certain it's there.

Well, are the partial unloading thing and mid-level oddities FoxBlitzz mentioned out? It seems those would be a bigger problem than segment violations.

Partial unloading was probably that, the first time around, SRB2 didn't kill the SOCs, and there was no way to revert them. The newer system I tried afterwards actually added a new SOC, a completely blank SOC, as I recall. You have to keep in mind that this was at least a year ago, and I really don't remember the specifics.

Yeah, SRB2 keeps a copy of the original tables that SOCs modify so it can 'reload' them.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Who is viewing this thread (Total: 1, Members: 0, Guests: 1)

Back