• Do not use Works in Progress as a way of avoiding the releases system! Works in Progress can be used for sharing early betas and for getting suggestions for improvement. Releases of finished content are not allowed in this forum! If you would like to submit a finished addon, click here for instructions on how to do so.

Custom sprites progress

Status
Not open for further replies.

HitCoder

Launcher Blaster
Hi, I was just making this thread to get feedback on my spriting. I want some advice and help. Here's all my 'good' sprites so far:

Sonic
TESTA5.png
SADXA5.png

Other Sonic
SA2SA1.png

Silver
SILVA5.png

Tempest (My 'OC')
TPSTA5.png

I always start with the back, as that's the first sprite you usually see ingame.

Last edited:
Sonic's spikes need to look more equal. The bottom two look too thin and look almost crooked, then the top 2 are normal sized.

Sonic's spikes need to look more equal. The bottom two look too thin and look almost crooked, then the top 2 are normal sized.

Ok, thanks, gonna fix that ASAP.
I'm just reshading the rest of tempest's sprites, as they currently are gradient shaded, which looks horrible.

srb20023.gif

EDIT:

The second sonic was scrapped, I just put the sprite up so you can tell me what you think of it if you like, but it was meant to be for a sa2b char pack me and my friends were making.

EDIT2:

I also made a shadow sprite, but never liked it myself, I don't want to post it, but I may as well. It was an edit from my silver sprite (Which doesn't look good in the first place.)

SHADA5.png

Last edited:
I like tempest, however sonic and silver need a bit of some work on their spines. For example, sonic's are far too outward, and silvers front spines/quills/spikes thingies are too small and thin. Also, I noticed that the sonic sprite facing us, has green pixels around the bottom of his shoe, I'm guessing that's a light dash level up, but on the first sprite you showed us, he has no levelup. But as for Tempest, me gusta.

I like tempest, however sonic and silver need a bit of some work on their spines. For example, sonic's are far too outward, and silvers front spines/quills/spikes thingies are too small and thin. Also, I noticed that the sonic sprite facing us, has green pixels around the bottom of his shoe, I'm guessing that's a light dash level up, but on the first sprite you showed us, he has no levelup. But as for Tempest, me gusta.

the front-facing sonic is a completely different sprite, that's why it's labelled "Other sonic". Lol, sorry if it's misleading.
Also, thanks for the advice. I know so many people who love Tempest, but most of the top wad authors (Speedwagon, Wolfy, HellHawk, etc...) say that tempest is an awful recolor combination of Inazuma and Nitemare, I have no idea why though, as the only resemblance is the spines being long and all over the place.

Also, Speedwagon has told me not to work on tempest yet, until I've made sprites of an official character, but since everyone likes Tempest's sprites so far, and I have a better idea of what he looks like, I will do tempest as my main project.

EDIT:

Is it just me, or does Silver's head look too big anyway?

I will also take all advice, whether I like it or not. Lol, I'm not making the mistake someone here has already made their self recently. Not giving the name, but everyone probably already knows who I mean.

Also, how's this front-facing sprite for Tempest?

SADXA1.png

In comparison to the old one, which looked nothing like the back sprite:

PLAYOLDA1.png

I need to darken the shades a tiny bit, and make the outline sharper, but other than that, I'm quite chuffed. Lol.

Also, would any of these look better using "Flat colors"?

Last edited:
I'm liking how Tempest will come out so far. But... That lightning-like fur on his body looks... Weird.
Maybe making it a bit more... tiny?

I hate the colors on Tempest. Also Silver's sprites look flat as all hell and I can't believe you made EMW5's Sonic look even more gross looking.

Last edited:
I hate the colors on Tempest. Also Silver's sprites look flat as all hell.

They look too bright because that's how I originally made them. Ingame, they look a lot better, because of the palette colors for yellow, but because I originally made the color bright yellow, I am too lazy to do a color remap.

---------- Post added at 01:21 AM ---------- Previous post was at 01:18 AM ----------

I'm liking how Tempest will come out so far. But... That lightning-like fur on his body looks... Weird.
Maybe making it a bit more... tiny?

I'm sorry, that was not even design choice, he was being artificially developed by HitCode Corp, and the satelite that was gathering global data was struck by lightning, and since then, he is no longer a hedgehog, he is a "Vortex".

Sorry for the bad backstory.

Nah, I chose to give him that lightning bolt, because it fits in with his character theme, in case you didn't know, "Tempest" is another word for "Storm". Thus, we have the lightning bolt.

---------- Post added at 01:29 AM ---------- Previous post was at 01:21 AM ----------

Here's what Tempest'd look like ingame from the front:

SADXEXAV1.png

No/Incorrect Anti-aliasing. That's not how you do anti-aliasing. The first Sonic did it "correct" only because it's an obvious scaling job.
Incorrect structure (You didn't draw Sonic right. This is not how you draw Sonic, or any other Sonic esq. characters for that manner.)
Crossed eyes. Can be easily fixed with Anti-aliasing.
Incorrect Shading. Ex. That yellow thing goes from bright yellow to super dark yellow. what the fuck. That's also not how light works.

Analysis: It looks like a kid drew it.

Last edited:
No Anti-aliasing.
Incorrect structure (You didn't draw Sonic right. This is not how you draw Sonic, or any other Sonic esq. characters for that manner.)
Incorrect Shading. Ex. That yellow thing goes from bright yellow to super dark yellow. what the fuck. That's also not how light works.

We could say that the default characters have incorrect coloring in their sprites if you're going to talk like that.
Also, if you mean I should make the yellow brighter ingame, go to the color palettes, and you will see, yellow doesn't support brighter colors.

If I use green, people who're new to SRB2 will think that's the color it's meant to be in the pictures, so I will be coloring the sprites to the ingame color for this thread from now on, but I may change the colors in the wad file to green.

As for "how light works" what sprite are you reffering to? for all of them, the light source us typically directly above, as with the default sprites, and many good sprites on these boards are shaded like this. Incase you didn't notice, every spine/spike/quill casts a shadow, apart from on shadow, which was a terrible sprite in the first place anyway.

But tell me where I went wrong, as it may be something I'm not noticing. I can't fix something I can't see.

---------- Post added at 02:04 AM ---------- Previous post was at 02:03 AM ----------

never.
Use.
Anything emw5 in terms of sprites.
As.
Inspiration.

I was only inspired by the modern look of sonic, as in the long spines.

It's not about using green or not, but really how you color them, that's what he meant. Same goes for the shading, like only one part of the Tempest OC has brightening to it, while the rest is dark yellow colored with not shading to it whatsoever, making the sprite lack any depth to it, specially for his body.

It's not about using green or not, but really how you color them, that's what he meant.

Ok, sorry, I often misinterpret things.

---------- Post added at 02:08 AM ---------- Previous post was at 02:07 AM ----------

No/Incorrect Anti-aliasing. That's not how you do anti-aliasing. The first Sonic did it "correct" only because it's an obvious scaling job.

As for anti-aliasing, is the problem that the outline is too dark?

EDIT: Stupid typo, I can't spell "Anti" apparently.

Last edited:
See that's the thing. The default characters aside from Chuckles are all outdated. They are in need of work.

You also aren't getting the point. The color contrast is WAYYY TOO MUCH. Take this for example. You are standing outside. You face your body towards the sun. The portion of your body facing the sun turns white. The portion not facing the sun turns black. That's what you're doing right now.

It's your own fault that you're working with yellow to begin with. Either make a custom palette, deal with not being able to change colors, change the color, or just not make this shit.

and EMW5 is NOT how Modern Sonic looks like. You must have eye cancer if you think that looks REMOTELY Modern. If anything, it looks like Tempest. Trash.

As for anyi-aliasing, is the problem that the outline is too dark?
No. It's just not done right. The colors need to fade/blend into each other which is not happening.

Last edited:
See that's the thing. The default characters aside from Chuckles are all outdated. They are in need of work.

You also aren't getting the point. The color contrast is WAYYY TOO MUCH. Take this for example. You are standing outside. You face your body towards the sun. The portion of your body facing the sun turns white. The portion not facing the sun turns black. That's what you're doing right now.

It's your own fault that you're working with yellow to begin with. Either make a custom palette, deal with not being able to change colors, change the color, or just not make this shit.

and EMW5 is NOT how Modern Sonic looks like. You must have eye cancer if you think that looks REMOTELY Modern. If anything, it looks like Tempest. Trash.

No. It's just not done right. The colors need to fade/blend into each other which is not happening.

Aha, ok. It's just the page that link took me to didn't seem to say anything about that. And I though it meant that in the first place anyway. Ok, I'll try to make the colors blend better. I'm also using the color green as a base now, and I'll remap all the other sprites to green instead of yellow. I am also aware that Tempest needs A LOT of work. He's still in beta, and I'm still learning to sprite.

---------- Post added at 02:24 AM ---------- Previous post was at 02:18 AM ----------

I hate the colors on Tempest. Also Silver's sprites look flat as all hell and I can't believe you made EMW5's Sonic look even more gross looking.

Sorry, completely missed your edit. No, it's not based off EMW5's sonic, just meant to have longer spines, like it. The main thing I didn't like about EMW5's sonic, is the bad conversion of the sprites, where there were a lot of pixels the wrong color. I actually liked the sprites, not because they were good, because they weren't, but because I actually thought they were underrated.

---------- Post added at 02:26 AM ---------- Previous post was at 02:24 AM ----------

Also, everyone I know who CAN'T sprite (other than myself (Just preventing complaints here)), thinks my shading looks awesome... for some reason...

I like the shading do a degree but i saved the image and it was named SADXA5
what does that tell you?

I like the shading do a degree but i saved the image and it was named SADXA5
what does that tell you?

It tells you that my first wad file for this was a recolor and that I'm slowly replacing the current disgusting sprites with custom ones.

Well.... Off-Actual-Topic: Will you give Tempest some kind of LUA/Default/Any special and non-seen ability?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Who is viewing this thread (Total: 1, Members: 0, Guests: 1)

Back