Shadow of Atlantis
Heroes Hall
Hectic Harbor
Anteggtica 1
Cluttered Cave 2
Hypertower
Crystal Cave

Crystal Cave Zone
A little harsh on the eyes with the Sonic 1 Special Stage-esque texture, feels a bit claustrophobic at times. Also I have noticed a broken linedef near the end of the stage.
srb20558.png

Putting a checkpoint right at the end seems a little pointless as well, and the way one of the tokens is hidden is a bit rude, considering you have to get hit to get it. The skybox also feels a little iffy, and slopes could have been utilized better.
Tats also has pointed out to me that the stage doesn't have any FOFs, no clue why but, that's a slight detrement as well.

Toffee Tor Zone 1
I immeditally turned around and noticed the Eggman Monitor, references to small tidbits of vanilla design are nice, so is that Kirby music. Very nice presentation, and I really like the way Rollout Rocks were used here as well.
The emblems also look like they're quite cleverly placed.

Hypertower Zone
Pretty eh to be fair, the music itself sounds a bit like an attempt at an AI-generated MIDI (which at least got stuck in my head, so a bonus point for that), and the scripted zoom tube path is a bit confusing at first to find, and once you do find it, the movements make little sense (I get that the player was supposed to be bouncing off of walls and all of that, but it sometimes looks like they're bouncing off of nothing).
There's also a lot of empty space in the first section.
The 2D segment isn't all that well thought-of, and nothing's stopping you from going back in there in 3D mode after finishing it.

Shadow of Atlantis Zone
Immeditally the console beeps with
Code:
WARNING: sfx 'DSNOCLM2' could not be found.

... Good start.
Errors aside, I initially thought it's going to be an underwater button hunt. Glad it wasn't that. I don't have much to say about this one besides the air bubbles just not being placed well in certain circumstances (such as the area right after the first checkpoint).

Cluttered Cave Zone 2
Looks nice, but the checkpoints are somewhat broken (trigger an earlier one, and all later ones are active too), either that or the checkpoints are placed in such a confusing manner, that I had no idea where I was going all the time.
There being a line of rings where each ring was two also felt weird and unintended.
But worst of all - About four minutes in, I fell into the water in some section (I had no clue where I was) and I spent like three minutes trying to find the spring to exit, which then made me realize I wasn't going the right way all this time.
Emblems are present but they're not functional, sad.

Oasis Palace Zone
If we put aside a few deaths caused by ground being barely high enough to disallow me from getting there via the Dust Devils, it's quite a fun stage to run through. I enjoyed it a lot.

Rustic Templar Zone
The inclusion of different paths for all the characters is very welcome to me. Very good-looking and pleasing to look at as well. I don't have much to say about, though.

Valley Falls Zone
It was doing so good before the... "underwater Doom maze eh?". Could do without it to be honest. Especially for a level with "Valley" and "Falls" in the name, where you wouldn't expect such a large underwater section.
You can also skew yourself to the side in the 2D section, so that's fun.
The choice of sidedef textures at the bridge right before that also feels weird. The tower at the end is neat though, and so is the rest of the stage.

Heroes Hall
Code:
WARNING: constant 'CASTLE5' could not be parsed.

WARNING: constant 'CASTLE5' could not be parsed.

And the floor texture is just darkness, fun.
That one door just goes up like a curtain too.
Now, I have played all of Zaxel's Coop Maps he made a while back, and this submissions shows he has improved since then, but has kept the combination of general level styles - long levels (like most of his original pack) with small button hunt sections (like Void Egg 2 or several other stages from said pack) thrown in there, and many different gimmicks used.
Now, I know this stage is based on something, I just don't know what.
The button in what I assume is the Clerk room is quite out of the way and only pointed at by a small red arrow on the floor, which isn't great. I like the concept of effectively "collecting weapons" throughout the stage to see them all at the end, however.

Cyan Heights Zone
I immediately wanted to appreciate the 8-bit Sonic 2 Sky High Zone aesthetic, and I could already tell the stage was based off of that as soon as the music started, shame it's so short, if it would have been at least twice as long, it would have made my day.

Wasteland Wilds Zone
Why is the first thing I keep appreciating, the music choice (and why did it take me a whole minute to realize it's a PMD2 track).
Decent level though, nothing all that spectacular, and it feels a bit bland some of the time.

Concordian Coast Zone
I know there is a split path but it's just too short for my liking sadly, not much else to say. I know it was meant to be longer but it didn't really work out, but if it would have been longer, it would have been much better.

Anteggtica 1
Good pun on the name, first of all.
But once I actually went to play it, it feels very unfinished. There are pretty much no enemies or any map things aside from a few boosters, I haven't seen a single ring aside from the Ring Monitors, and I could clear the stage in under thirty seconds. It would have been pretty good if it would have been at least a little longer and more populated.

Overgrown Heights Zone
There are a few technical mishaps here and there with the spikes on the crates, but overall it's quite good, just that waterfall section took a while to actually get through.

Spyro Ripto Blast 2 - Snowflake Ridge
Am I still playing Sonic at this point?
But, to a person who's never played Spyro, the mechanics appear to be spot-on, the amount of effort - you can guess why this one's as high up as it is.

Metalic Madness Zone 1 - Good Future

Can't complain about the lack of enemies as there's at least a plot reason for that, but it really felt very empty. The inclusion of several paths does slightly make up for it at least. I was also told that Good Future versions of Sonic CD stages were supposed to have many more good pickups and rings, this stage didn't seem to have that many.

Wild West Zone
Fun, but doesn't really stand out. It feels quite a bit like a remake from ground up, of Arid Canyon 2, one thing that was a slight disappointment was how the Minecart section was handled - go on it once, don't move, and that's the only one in the stage over with. The rest of it did look pretty good, just nothing all that unique.

Myriad Memories
A very nice combination of a puzzle, platforming, and a custom pulley gimmick. The only annoyance are reports of how you can get softlocked by having Tails pick you up whilst on said pulleys. And he can't actually get out of them once he's picked up.

Aqua Paradise Zone

The stage makes me experience major lag spikes in certain areas, and also took a bit longer to load than the others, the Score Monitors at the end are a bit overkill, but the stage is fine, just.... some air bubbles should be more visible.

Magma Falls Zone
There being no checkpoints really makes this stage look worse than it really is, though somewhat steep upwards slopes with a rollout rock on lava are painful to navigate, and the actual path in the area with the useless PC should be more obvious.

Hectic Harbor
Code:
ERROR: A FOF tagged 9000 has a top height below its bottom.

Ouch.
Plus, I had no idea what really was happening here for a while, and I wasn't even aware I was anywhere near the exit two minutes in, it sure is "hectic", but not in an entirely good way. At least the presentation is neat.

Last edited:

Who is viewing this thread (Total: 1, Members: 0, Guests: 1)

Back