Contest Discussion Topic (2.0.X)

Status
Not open for further replies.
Just an hour, now.

Man, I don't even know how my map is going to rank. I can see the pitch-black motif being very polarizing; and yet, so much awesome SOC shit.

srb20088.png

I may or may not be working on what may or may not be an SP map that may or may not make it to one of these OLDCs.

(I'll probably end up turning it into a CTF map like I do with everything)

Every day's a challenge! The uglier, the better!

...But hey, I'll freely admit my texturing sucks. I'm trying to at least make up for it with the level design. :/

If you can tell when textures don't match, you probably are capable of improving it. I'm not always very good at it myself... I relied very much on the eyes of the devs for say ICZ. Of course don't worry about that first and foremost. Level design comes first and you can then respond to the design with visuals, and playing with the textures on the fly in 3d mode is insanely helpful. But you can either choose to keep the texturing awful, or strange, or blinding for the effect you're trying to achieve or you can find something that satisfies you a little more. Its not a matter of skill so much as persistence.

Well, I'm thinking about working on a level for the contest, but I have a couple of questions.

1) Is it against the rules to start a map now for the next contest, or should I wait until September 1st? If I make a map, I want to take full advantage of the time given to me, which is why I probably won't make a map this time around (or at least not a SP one...)

2) I'd like to create custom emblems for custom characters, but I obviously can't add an emblem for every custom on the mb, so I was wondering what customs are the most popular (my favorite wad is getting an emblem whether she's popular or not BTW...) also, will not having the character wad that the emblems are designed for crash the game? If so, I might want to just pack the more popular chars into one wad or just not add the custom emblems at all.

2) I'd like to create custom emblems for custom characters, but I obviously can't add an emblem for every custom on the mb, so I was wondering what customs are the most popular (my favorite wad is getting an emblem whether she's popular or not BTW...) also, will not having the character wad that the emblems are designed for crash the game? If so, I might want to just pack the more popular chars into one wad or just not add the custom emblems at all.

I don't think it is possible to create custom emblems for custom characters until 2.1, so good luck trying to SOC something that won't work in 2.0 (even if you try hard enough it's possible, but only by a 0.0000000001% chance).

I don't think it is possible to create custom emblems for custom characters until 2.1, so good luck trying to SOC something that won't work in 2.0 (even if you try hard enough it's possible, but only by a 0.0000000001% chance).
Aw... that sucks, I guess I'll just have to give the emblem I was planning for Tikal to Knux for now...

What about starting early though? Is that allowed? Cause if its not, I'll just work on a match or CTF map for now.

Umm, you didn't even create Tikal, and why would you want to give tikal emblems? Character wads modify the game, and when the game is modified, you aren't able to even collect emblems. :P

You can start and finish your entry whenever you want. The entry deadline is just the cutoff point where anything submitted that fits the requirements is compiled.

Umm, you didn't even create Tikal, and why would you want to give tikal emblems? Character wads modify the game, and when the game is modified, you aren't able to even collect emblems. :P

Actually, I'm pretty sure if you modify MainCFG you can make custom emblems. Also, TikalX.wad is my personal favorite wad, why wouldn't I try to add in a little something extra for fellow Tikal players?

You can start and finish your entry whenever you want. The entry deadline is just the cutoff point where anything submitted that fits the requirements is compiled.

Alright, thanks. I guess I'll get started on my level sometime soon. Wish me luck!

Status
Not open for further replies.

Who is viewing this thread (Total: 2, Members: 0, Guests: 2)

Back