Contest Discussion Topic (2.0.X)

Status
Not open for further replies.
Meh, didn't make it. I'll release the wad tomorrow if I get the glitches ironed out by then.

So, after sitting out several contests, I thought I'd enter the next one. I present to you Damp Campus Zone! It's my second ever attempt at designing a CTF level, and I'd like to think that I've learned from the mistakes I made with Upload Download Zone. The screenshot is now a little outdated, but it should still give you a good idea of what this level will look like.

2mrhzev.png

The inspiration for this level came when I was walking back to my dorm in the rain. I wondered if a rainy college campus could translate into a decent SRB2 level. I think it did, but that's really for other people to decide.

Last edited:
If not a bit annoyingly dark. I have to sit up all the way in my chair to see everything, and that may be annoying when playing ctf. Perhaps you could brighten it up a few increments?

Hmmm...I don't know. It seems to lose some of the effect I'm going for when I brighten it, even by ten. Additional light makes the brick textures seem blander to me. But I know some computers render SRB2 dimmer than others. Does anyone else think it looks too dark?

EDIT: I went ahead and brightened it anyway, because it wouldn't be too hard to change back in the event that people preferred the old way. Here's a screenshot of the new version:

fdf610.png

Last edited:
I personally liked it darker.

I think I learned a lot from Gravity Garden, so I'm gonna try my hand at it again. I may enter in the next contest, depending on whether I've finished the stage I'm working on. I'm certainly not gonna spend as much time on it as I did last time, though.

If this is going to be for CTF, visibility during a firefight is probably key. I'd say your revision is fine enough.

I may enter the next OLDC, I've drawn up a map and a few designs for tiles. I plan to call it Hidden Hill Zone, hopefully I can finish it in time.

Last edited:
Coming soon to a OLDC near you:
Hexagon Facility Zone
srb20484.png

srb20486.png

srb20487.png

Theme: A chemical plant in a grassy area, very deadly chemicals have turned this once lush grass land into a waste land.

KOTE, what happened to that haunted mansion thing you wanted to put 2 contests ago? It died? To be honest, I was actually looking forward to it... XC

If I had a nickel for every time you posted pics of an awesome level for the OLDC, I could buy the Microsoft Corporation.

If I had a nickel for every time you canceled said level at the last minute, I could also buy the Microsoft Corporation.

Please, please, stick with this one. And it might be nice if at some point, you released a level pack featuring all your half-finished levels. I don't think it's fair for these things not to see the light of day, even if they didn't fully pan out.

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.

Who is viewing this thread (Total: 5, Members: 0, Guests: 5)

Back