Contest Discussion Topic (2.0.X)

Status
Not open for further replies.
Well, Mystic, is this any better?

srb20148.png

And VX, I like my rings, and I don't see how antigrav could break flow, as it just divides the circuit into two halves.

Yeah, that's far less eye cancerous. Looks kinda bland but it's no longer painful to look at, at least.

Well, a previously released level of mine, Heat Street uses Generic damage due to Sonics being able to get through the course TOO well. However, it makes Invincibility a more valid powerup. It USED to be instakill, but the I realised how painfull death really was...Ayeee...
If you have to break the basics of the game's design to make your map play better, then the problem lies in the map itself.

If you have to break the basics of the game's design to make your map play better, then the problem lies in the map itself.

Actually, the point of the level was to make sure you couldn't mindlessly thok throughout the level without punishment, and to give Tails/Knux an edge with shortcuts. While it wasn't that great in hindsight, it was an experiment in balence amongst the characters, and even using the difficulty of using them be reflected in the level (Tails has the easiest time, Knux is harder, and Sonic is difficult to use, but can still win), and wasn't too bad. It could have been executed much better however.

Then use visuals that match up with the results that would happen if you get hit. If you want people to die, make a bottomless pit. If you want to deal non-elemental damage, try spikes or come up with something other than lava that it would make sense hurts through elemental shield.

Part of video game design is establishing a set of rules that the game follows, like lava having certain in-game characteristics. When a level designer breaks those rules, it feels unnatural. The painful water in Midnight Freeze is a good example of breaking the rules previously established by the game causing something that feels "wrong" to the player. Most people didn't know why the water hurt and were quite confused when they took damage, because water doesn't hurt you in Sonic.

Then use visuals that match up with the results that would happen if you get hit. If you want people to die, make a bottomless pit. If you want to deal non-elemental damage, try spikes or come up with something other than lava that it would make sense hurts through elemental shield.

Part of video game design is establishing a set of rules that the game follows, like lava having certain in-game characteristics. When a level designer breaks those rules, it feels unnatural. The painful water in Midnight Freeze is a good example of breaking the rules previously established by the game causing something that feels "wrong" to the player. Most people didn't know why the water hurt and were quite confused when they took damage, because water doesn't hurt you in Sonic.

This is true, and I know this now and see what you're getting at. Though, I didn't really think about this when I first made it.

Well, i've finalized that i'm making a Disco-themed CTF map for the November-December contest. I'll grab a screenshot later.

Well, Mystic, is this any better?

[insert image here]

And VX, I like my rings, and I don't see how antigrav could break flow, as it just divides the circuit into two halves.

That looks pretty good, better than Frostbite Peak at least.

Also, just noticed:
lawlwut.png

...Is that 'Mystic' I see spelled there?

Finally, I may be submitting something to the contest, if I get any inspiration...

It says "HAI MYSTIC~".

Hang around IRC enough and you'll get it. =P

EDIT: Oh argh, way to be ninja'd by the person who made the map.

ewopengl

Also, it looks extremely bland. And totally not what I envisioned a disco CTF to be.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Who is viewing this thread (Total: 5, Members: 0, Guests: 5)

Back