Clearing something up

Sandwichface

Trash Bin connoisseur
Before I begin: Yes, this is THE Sandwichface. The SRB2 Trash Bin guy.

I'd like to begin by expressing that, yes, I understand my videos and my opinions on certain subjects have generated a lot of controversy in the community. I'd also like to express that earlier iterations of the SRB2 Trash Bin (and the Thok video) aren't perfect and could've presented the subjects more clearly without my stronger opinions muddying them up. I'm still growing as a creator and I still haven't figured this whole thing out 100%.

As I have previously stated in this specific video right here, I do not make my Trash Bin series out of spite for any specific person or group. Granted, I have my concerns regarding the current trajectory of SRB2 and its community, and I have phased that angle out of the Trash Bin series to more clearly communicate the intentions of my critique. I want creators to understand how to handle harsher criticism, as sometimes critics aren't always the most forgiving people on earth.

However, I will make it clear right now that this is not an apology. I am well within my rights to speak my mind about the current state of this community and the game. I also fully accept the responsibilities of saying what I say and I definitely understand the consequences that result from it. I will not, however, change the way I do things in response to it. Don't like my content? Don't watch it. Simple as that. I can't force you to watch my content, and nobody should.

Just like everyone else here, I am a content creator. And if it's "wrong" to create content the way I do, then I certainly don't want to be right.

Post got caught by the automatic spam filter initially (nothing personal, we just have to put a strong filter on off-site links now and then because of the sheer amount of spambots). Regardless, I was a little reluctant to pass it through because of the content of the video specifically. Decided it'd be better to let it through but respond directly with something I felt needed to be addressed.

"On the SRB2 trash bin I try to be as blunt as possible with my criticism, and I try my best to not directly insult the creator's judgment or ad hominem my arguments for why I think certain mods are bad. And I will especially avoid arguments like, your mod is bad, you should feel bad, and you should commit unalive now. Granted, I'm not perfect at that, but for everyone watching this who still thinks I do this to be mean or something dumb like that, I don't."

We absolutely see eye to eye on the subject of criticism. Sugarcoated criticism misses the point, and though we all know the "you need to be a jerk to people because people will be a jerk to them in the real world" is a bunch of bogus, being a critic who pierces straight to the issue cannot be equated in and of itself to being a jerk.

But then there's this:

"Well, except for New Sonic Team Junior and Kart Krew. I'll continue to be utterly ruthless with them for as long as I'm on this funny little platform called YouTube."

I have not a clue where your miff with STJr and Kart Krew came from specifically (weird since I'm part of the latter) but whatever the reason may be, every member of Sonic Team Junior or Kart Krew is owed the same level of respect and human decency that anyone else in the community is. No more, no less. Maybe you were just being funny there, but it's not something you've remotely given the groups in the past, despite having next to no personal interactions with them. I'll save you the embarrassment of going deeper into that right here though.

I'm pretty sure most of this is already stuff you've thought through at this point (even since the video) but I had to speak up on this point in case anyone gets the wrong idea that what you said at the end of the video is chill, on-site or off-site.

Personally, I think there's an irony that you'd draw that kind of line in the sand in the first place, because one of the first things I kept saying back when I became staff (or even before) was
1695220825091.png

That is to say, any staff or developer here is accountable to the same rules as anyone else, to the same degree. That's got to go both ways, because it's only logical for it to go both ways.

There's been some repetitive sentiment of the SRB2 staff being unapproachable and banning people for merely disagreeing, but it seems to be almost (if not entirely) fabricated to me, because not only did we make an entire forum specifically to approach staff, all staff, without having to run the gambit of the community peanut gallery or the alternative, "did you DM the staff member who actually knows how to respond to this properly?" but the amount of times people have been banned for what they've asked in there (or any other places, to my knowledge) is a staggering zero, LOL.

Something else that comes close to zero (but not quite!) is the amount of times people with truly big problems on their mind actually use said forum (or any other means) to discuss them with staff. That's not a statement targeted right at you; I actually just mean it in general: This is an old-ass community that's passed from hand to hand a few times by now. No one should assume the exact way things are set up is always exactly how we like it, or that we're not open to hearing how people feel and considering the case for changes. Just act in good faith, and it will be returned.

But then there's this:

I have not a clue where your miff with STJr and Kart Krew came from specifically (weird since I'm part of the latter) but whatever the reason may be, every member of Sonic Team Junior or Kart Krew is owed the same level of respect and human decency that anyone else in the community is. No more, no less.
I think he means the fact that KK is coming up with (in his words) brainless ideas, i.e. 2.3 Thok replacement, reusability system, and the concern of the quality of new submissions (a.k.a. the Trashbin). And also, just saying, you could ASK Sandwichface is issues with nu-STJR/KK? I'm not gonna but in much on this, I promise.

I think he means the fact that KK is coming up with (in his words) brainless ideas, i.e. 2.3 Thok replacement, reusability system, and the concern of the quality of new submissions (a.k.a. the Trashbin). And also, just saying, you could ASK Sandwichface is issues with nu-STJR/KK? I'm not gonna but in much on this, I promise.
Why are you conflating Kart Krew with Sonic Team JR? They're two distinct dev teams, even if they have a bit of overlap.

Before I begin: Yes, this is THE Sandwichface. The SRB2 Trash Bin guy.

I'd like to begin by expressing that, yes, I understand my videos and my opinions on certain subjects have generated a lot of controversy in the community. I'd also like to express that earlier iterations of the SRB2 Trash Bin (and the Thok video) aren't perfect and could've presented the subjects more clearly without my stronger opinions muddying them up. I'm still growing as a creator and I still haven't figured this whole thing out 100%.

As I have previously stated in this specific video right here, I do not make my Trash Bin series out of spite for any specific person or group. Granted, I have my concerns regarding the current trajectory of SRB2 and its community, and I have phased that angle out of the Trash Bin series to more clearly communicate the intentions of my critique. I want creators to understand how to handle harsher criticism, as sometimes critics aren't always the most forgiving people on earth.

However, I will make it clear right now that this is not an apology. I am well within my rights to speak my mind about the current state of this community and the game. I also fully accept the responsibilities of saying what I say and I definitely understand the consequences that result from it. I will not, however, change the way I do things in response to it. Don't like my content? Don't watch it. Simple as that. I can't force you to watch my content, and nobody should.

Just like everyone else here, I am a content creator. And if it's "wrong" to create content the way I do, then I certainly don't want to be right.
wasnt your whole video just "screw artists greahhhh" stretched out into a 10 minute whinefest

Clearly there is no way to make it work, even though it's possible, maybe both of the new members of sonic team jr might pull something off. But who knows, the really are trying to make things better. Even though I would like the old staff to come back, some of them left or got banned and never came back from the community or just stepping down from doing the work in the game.

No it wasn't and you clearly haven't watched it.
Awfully disrespectful to the artist here...........
"The hard truth of the matter is that harsh criticism is still criticism. If you're an up and coming content creator and are just releasing your first project, you're gonna receive criticism - that's just a fact of life. And if you really want to succeed at your creative field of choice, you're going to have to learn how to deal with criticism properly."

I assume this thread is an open invitation for your videos to be criticized, but even if it isn't, do be graceful about it. Here are some tips on how to do so.

On the matter of actual criticism, I have the feeling that trash bin is a poor choice of a name for a series where you want the criticism to be seen first thing and taken in earnest; I know rant content can be very popular and entertaining, and help draw views to your own thing, but a given creator seeing their creation being labeled as "trash" on a platform like Youtube for all to see can be spirit-crushing (this community is mostly kids after all) and some of them might even flat-out refuse to see your video due to that kind of presentation, missing the whole point.

As Charyb said in the thread linked above, the primary purpose of criticism is to help the creator improve at their craft; if the creator doesn't get to see your criticism, or is discouraged from ever trying again because of it, that criticism might as well be useless. If the improvement of the community and its content is what you're actually trying to accomplish, I hope this gives you some food for thought for your next attempt.

In that case, I suppose I shouldn't apologize for speaking my mind to you.

I've seen many people call you a "Mystic sympathizer," but I think it goes deeper than that. This is just a theory, but I believe Mystic is your idol. You looked up to him when he was still in the community, and sought to emulate him as best you could.

Then he, and the rest of the old guard, were ousted.

You couldn't bear to see Mystic gone, so you demonized the people responsible. You gave them a derogatory label ("nu-STJr") and vowed to oppose anything they did, because they took your idol away from you.

Never mind the fact that there were many legitimate reasons as to why Mystic and the old guard were removed from the community. They abused their power, bullied kids, and held back SRB2's development, among other things. (There's an entire forum thread dedicated to this, which you can find here.)

It's good to have someone to look up to, but idols should be chosen carefully. Emulating a person whose negative qualities outweigh their positive ones can only lead to disaster.

I've seen many people call you a "Mystic sympathizer," but I think it goes deeper than that. This is just a theory, but I believe Mystic is your idol. You looked up to him when he was still in the community, and sought to emulate him as best you could.

You couldn't bear to see Mystic gone, so you demonized the people responsible. You gave them a derogatory label ("nu-STJr") and vowed to oppose anything they did, because they took your idol away from you.

Never mind the fact that there were many legitimate reasons as to why Mystic and the old guard were removed from the community. They abused their power, bullied kids, and held back SRB2's development, among other things. (There's an entire forum thread dedicated to this, which you can find here.)

It's good to have someone to look up to, but idols should be chosen carefully. Emulating a person whose negative qualities outweigh their positive ones can only lead to disaster.
That's literally not true at all and I'd prefer if you'd stop trying to psychoanalyze me.
In fact, I actually used to be very much in favor of their removal waaaaaay back when it actually happened (You can probably find messages related to this in the SRB2CS from when I used to be in there).

People change.

That's literally not true at all and I'd prefer if you'd stop trying to psychoanalyze me.
I'm just trying to understand why you act like you do. Granted, that wasn't the best attempt at doing so.

I've been told by people close to me that I have a lot of empathy; that I can easily detect, and relate to, people's emotions. I can tell you're angry at the SRB2 and Kart devs for certain changes they've made to their games and this community.

But what I don't understand - what I can't relate to - is why you hold such a massive grudge against them for it.

I want to know how this all started. I want to know your history with SRB2 and Kart, and their communities. And what led to you separating from them.

If you make that the topic of one of your videos, I might be able to understand your point of view.

What the fuck?
I'm just trying to understand why you act like you do. Granted, that wasn't the best attempt at doing so.
I would like to know, too, but that post felt like reading a conspiracy theory.
And also, just saying, you could ASK Sandwichface is issues with nu-STJR/KK?
I opened the door to that exact conversation right above your post, actually. I do not by any means believe it's my responsibility to pin people down and ask what issues they have with me, I only believe that I need to be available to people telling me what issues they have with me. Regardless, I came here and did that anyways.

For what it's worth I think your most recent video on the new OLDC did a much better job at critiquing the levels without coming off as overly meanspirited or harsh, the criticism you presented was overall fair and well articulated. I understand making videos that are just straight dunking on something bad is the easier and more appealing option but I think this middle ground you found here where you are willing to give a more honest analysis of a level while still acknowledging its strengths is the way to go should you continue with making SRB2-related content.

Who is viewing this thread (Total: 1, Members: 0, Guests: 1)

Back