• Do not use Works in Progress as a way of avoiding the releases system! Works in Progress can be used for sharing early betas and for getting suggestions for improvement. Releases of finished content are not allowed in this forum! If you would like to submit a finished addon, click here for instructions on how to do so.

Choosing what kind of WAD to make

Status
Not open for further replies.

Princess Plushima

Princess of Dreams
Judge
Well, it seems that alot of people here seem to have trouble figuring out what to make, realise it or not. So I decided to try and make a guide, based on mental strengths and weaknesses. This obviously isn't perfectly accurate, but it's definately a good idea to check this if you're working on something, and you're getting alot of negative critisism.

So, I've grouped this into the different kinds of WADs:

Character WADs
There are two aspect to making a character WAD, spriting, and innovation.
You need to be innovative enough to find a way that the character can add to gameplay, in a way more than a simple sprite change. However, if you aren't very innovative, there's still a chance you can make something good.
Spriting ability, on the other hand, is 100% manditory. If you can't sprite, do NOT attempt to create a character WAD. Also, bear in mind that recolors almost never work. While people have used Sonic as a base to create decent work, these people were CZ64 and Zeshiro, who are... well, Gods. If your character is a recolor, then you should consider changing it. If you've had your character since you were 4, you should DEFINATELY consider changing it.
With character WADs, it's mostly just a matter of "If you can sprite, you've got a good chance. If you can't, GTFO"

SOCs
SOCs are for the innovative. You need to be able to use SRB2's restricting SOC system to create decent pieces of work. I like to think that there's no real skill to SOCcing, and it's just a matter of "who figures out how to do this first"
The best way to tell if SOCcing is for you, is just to try it, and see if you come up with anything decent.

Levels
Levels are, in a way, the "other" category of SRB2 Editing. If you find you're not very good at SOCcing or spriting, you may find you're a levelmaking God. The skills involved is mainly your ability to apply the level design standards to a level. (Assuming you've read Level Design 101, which you sure as hell better) However, there is also innovation involved in devising creative level gimmicks.
Your best bet in seeing if you're a natural level designer, is to creative something work the contest, and see how high a rating it gets you. Level design takes practice, so be sure not to give up when you get the 2/10 your first level is bound to get.

Graphics replacements
GFX replacements are 100% spritng. If you can't sprite, don't even try.

Music replacements
Always suck, don't even try.

But yeah, I probably left something out. Feel free to rub it in my face. Same applies to spelling and grammatical errors.

There's always playing directly with the game's source code, but I have a feeling that any programmers that pass by would have enough common sense to figure this out themselves..
There's always scripts. They aren't quite SOCs, but I've seen a couple useful scripts. We don't have enough around, really.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Who is viewing this thread (Total: 1, Members: 0, Guests: 1)

Back