Can we get the SRB2 2.1.25-1.09.4 MS back?

I will speak my knowledge of this here.
You can host on outdated versions.
However, others will only be able to join if you tell them your public IP.
Don't freak out, your public IP is not your actual IP.
Your public IP is the weird IP-looking number the port checker ( https://www.jameds.org/SRB2/port/ ) gives you that looks nothing like your IP or any IP for that matter. That is what your friends need to join your server.
Yes, the IP shows on outdated versions when someone joins, but it'll only be your friends, so you don't really have any reason to freak out over getting some random's IP address.
I hope this cleared up stuff for other people-

It is impossible to straight up hide your IP address in a networked game (at least, if you want a smooth experience).

To be able to join a game, your computer must know what IP to connect to.
For a player to remain connected, the host must know the IP of that player in their server as to receive and send information to the right one.

It is "possible" to hide yourself if using some sort of tunneling service though.
Think Steamworks, from Steam. Information passes through Steamworks and is then provided to other players instead of going directly to each player. This way no player knows the IP of any other player (unless explicitly set to allow this, or because the game requires it).
That requires trusting Steamworks though, since they'll see your IP :p

Or if you somehow spoof your IP, either with a VPN or something else, you can technically hide your IP. But then you'd run into issues like "why am i lagging more than before" and "why is this VPN range banned?".
I don't trusted VPN alot, I just truly think VPN is a scam.

ok, so i wanna reply to some posts earlier here:
radmin vpn has a similar issue to autopunch, except some other people actually have it
...the only issue is, it's usually worse off in the latency department than even autopunch
using both, even if two computers are right next to each other, will probably cause laggier games due to the fact you're using a third party application
the reason i would use this stuff to host is because i physically cannot port forward with my router, i need to use this stuff, if i could port forward, i WOULD port forward
there is also holepunching which in short, is basically just autopunch and others but it's in the srb2 file, which means better latency
holepunching can be imp;emented in a custom build (or vanilla in the future), but not a lot of people know how to make a custom build, and i still can't use it because my router doesn't like it or something, chances are if you can host a server on kart, your router is able to be port forwarded because of holepunching, if you can't, either you don't know the password, or your own ip, which can be fixed in many ways, but i'm not getting into that yet
your ip isn't shown be default so...
so, today we learned that port forwarding is the best way to host online, and if you want to host a game close to a friend, use LAN
otherwise, just boot up 2 player or something if there's only one friend

As a multi version hoster, you should use AutoPunch. It sets a connection between your IPV4 and the host's IPV4. It works on any version of SRB2 that supports Internet Hosting. In fact, even Doom Legacy supports hosting. So, if your friend has AutoPunch and you too, you can join him. But if he doesn't have AutoPunch, you cannot join.
dude portforwarding works, he just sent me the wrong ip that day not checking the srb2 port checker and i thought the MS literally broke where you cant even play netgames privately 💀
Post automatically merged:

Then what if you don't want to use you're ip address and don't want you get you're ip address (I know, this is off topic)
i believe portforwarding filters your ip so nobody can yoink it and leaks it

I will speak my knowledge of this here.
You can host on outdated versions.
However, others will only be able to join if you tell them your public IP.
Don't freak out, your public IP is not your actual IP.
Your public IP is the weird IP-looking number the port checker ( https://www.jameds.org/SRB2/port/ ) gives you that looks nothing like your IP or any IP for that matter. That is what your friends need to join your server.
Yes, the IP shows on outdated versions when someone joins, but it'll only be your friends, so you don't really have any reason to freak out over getting some random's IP address.
I hope this cleared up stuff for other people-

Last edited:
thats what hes sayin'

ok, so i wanna reply to some posts earlier here:
radmin vpn has a similar issue to autopunch, except some other people actually have it
...the only issue is, it's usually worse off in the latency department than even autopunch
using both, even if two computers are right next to each other, will probably cause laggier games due to the fact you're using a third party application
the reason i would use this stuff to host is because i physically cannot port forward with my router, i need to use this stuff, if i could port forward, i WOULD port forward
there is also holepunching which in short, is basically just autopunch and others but it's in the srb2 file, which means better latency
holepunching can be imp;emented in a custom build (or vanilla in the future), but not a lot of people know how to make a custom build, and i still can't use it because my router doesn't like it or something, chances are if you can host a server on kart, your router is able to be port forwarded because of holepunching, if you can't, either you don't know the password, or your own ip, which can be fixed in many ways, but i'm not getting into that yet
your ip isn't shown be default so...
so, today we learned that port forwarding is the best way to host online, and if you want to host a game close to a friend, use LAN
otherwise, just boot up 2 player or something if there's only one friend
same

what

your public IP is not your actual IP
your public IP IS your actual IP. it's quite literally the address that your ISP, and by extension the whole world, identifies you as if they want to communicate with you.
Your public IP is the weird IP-looking number the port checker ( https://www.jameds.org/SRB2/port/ ) gives you that looks nothing like your IP or any IP for that matter.
that is your IP.

i believe portforwarding filters your ip so nobody can yoink it and leaks it
no, the act of forwarding a port (port forwarding) is to tell the router "hey, i want incoming connections in port XXXX to go to this computer at local IP Y.Y.Y.Y" instead of silently dropping them.
it has nothing to do with how your IP is displayed to others because it doesn't care - it just routes (get it? because it's a router :knuxsmug:) information from a place to another if told to do so.

please don't share false or erroneous information; you've got a search engine and plenty more out there, use them and do research.

what

your public IP IS your actual IP. it's quite literally the address that your ISP, and by extension the whole world, identifies you as if they want to communicate with you.

that is your IP.

no, the act of forwarding a port (port forwarding) is to tell the router "hey, i want incoming connections in port XXXX to go to this computer at local IP Y.Y.Y.Y" instead of silently dropping them.
it has nothing to do with how your IP is displayed to others because it doesn't care - it just routes (get it? because it's a router :knuxsmug:) information from a place to another if told to do so.

please don't share false or erroneous information; you've got a search engine and plenty more out there, use them and do research.
wait so doxxing should be frequent?? and that does'nt make hosting ANY safer

wait so doxxing should be frequent?? and that does'nt make hosting ANY safer
what exactly do you think an IP address is and does?
i want to make sure before i offer an explanation

waiting is taking a while, might as well:

an IP address is an unique address that identifies a device in a network.
your public IP, for example, is provided by your internet service provider (ISP) and it identifies your router among the many connected routers out there in the wild.

while this may seem like someone would magically know who you are and where you are... well, no, that's not the case.
what someone can do with an IP address is fairly limited. it can reveal the general geographical area where you live, which is about country sized if not larger, but that's about it.

wait so doxxing should be frequent??
you can't figure out who's behind a router with just an IP address.
your IP is not your national identification number that pinpoints you, but rather just something that identifies whose router you're under. (not like you can find out where that is...)

that does'nt make hosting ANY safer
to host a game implies that you want people to connect to you.
and the only way to do this is if prospect players know whose game they will be joining, and to do this on an old-school client-to-server connection model like this game here, they need your IP.

note that despite hosting being generally safe, you still have to be careful since you are "opening" your computer to the public.

consider an analogy of you wanting to host an open party at your house and inviting not just your friends, but everybody, to join the fun.
you have to tell people where you live, and after that, you would have no clue who is going to come through your doors.
from then on it is your job to act as a moderator and ensure everyone stays in line, but people that know your address don't even have to enter your house to start making prank calls and sending pizza to your house every 30 minutes or wanting to make a stink and physically blocking the entrance for people coming in.

the sad truth of life is that there are malicious people, and if they really don't like you and are extra petty they can attempt attacks on your service (just your service really, nothing else) (they would have to have resources for this though, the chances of it happening are really low, plus it's a crime as per the law so you should be able to do something about this).

attacks on your service usually tend to be in the DoS category... and just so happens that an ISP worth their salt will provide you with a router that would prevent this by filtering out bad information or information coming in droves (correctly assessing they're receiving a DoS attack and dropping it silently is a staple on modern routers), or maybe their service will have some sort of protection against this, or you will have the means to shuffle away from the problem (you can contact your ISP and they can change your IP or even investigate the problem, for example).

plus, you usually want to take precautions by making sure you:
  • do not open more ports than you will be using
  • do not put your local computer under DMZ (that's like opening ALL ports)
  • do not disable your router's firewall
  • probably other stuff? i can't say i'm an expert here lol.

The bottom point is, then: hosting a public server is as safe as hosting a public party at your house.
by making a server and therefore sharing your IP, you want to ensure you understand what sort of risks you might have to deal with, and that you exercise basic internet security by knowing what to do so it doesn't happen in first place or so you can deal with it when it does.

if you don't feel like dealing with possible risks that come with hosting, then don't host.
feel free to host for your friends, but do not advertise it in the master server if you don't want it public.

Last edited:
what

that is your IP.
Sorry. Just trying to help.

(edit: in all honesty, i wasn't  trying to spread incorrect information, i was just trying to explain how i host on 2.1 in a way i thought it worked. i suppose i could delete my other reply...maybe..)

Last edited:
your IP is not your national identification number that pinpoints you, but rather just something that identifies whose router you're under
Technically, it's still possible to identify someone like that. Someone determined enough could have a friend working at the ISP that leased the IP address to the customer, or bribe them or mislead them, to hand over information about a specific subscriber/customer. Not something that most people would have to be afraid of, but not something to be ignored IMHO.
an ISP worth their salt will provide you with a router that would prevent this by filtering out
There's two possible consequences of a DoS attack: Either the DoS attack has a sufficiently high packets-per-second/requests-per-second etc. or exploits a bug that chokes the software of the router or the SRB2 server (e.g. chokes the firewall's state table on the router, or anything else that depends on a software-based effect), in which case a router that can filter out the DoS attack would be helpful; or the other option is a DoS attack that chokes the victim's bandwidth/connection between their home and the ISP with enough throughput, in which case when the rogue packets reach the filtering router, it's already too late to block them, because the connection is saturated. Note that connections are bidirectional, so saturating the incoming-to-home direction (the downlink) wouldn't affect the outgoing-from-home direction (the uplink), but basically every network-based activity requires some interactivity or feedback in the other direction.
do not put your local computer under DMZ (that's like opening ALL ports)
I am not entirely sure but I can think of two things related to DMZs: I think the whole point of DMZ is putting a group of servers or a single server so they could be exposed to the Internet in isolation from the rest of the LAN, essentially putting a firewall (or any configuration that practically does the same) that blocks the exchange of any traffic between the DMZ and the LAN, which is a good thing. But I think there might be an option of "DMZ" in common consumer-grade residential routers that make a single computer be exposed to the Internet with 1-to-1 NAT port forwarding between the router and that computer, and I don't know if that would also make the router block traffic between that DMZed computer and the LAN; this would expose the DMZed computer entirely (then it'd have to depend entirely on the operating system's firewall, such as Windows Firewall, for its security) and doubtfully (not) isolate it from the rest of the LAN — which is a bad thing.
do not disable your router's firewall
NAT effectively functions as some sort of firewall; when port forwarding isn't configured, the router wouldn't know where to direct incoming traffic to, which effectively blocks it even if there's no firewall in practice. That said though, I strongly recommend anyone reading this to leave firewall configuration at its default state unless they know what they're doing.

I want to throw a good word for you: You've done a great job, in my opinion, at debunking the misinformation in this thread about port forwarding. 😀

Last edited:
I think the whole point of DMZ is putting a group of servers or a single server so they could be exposed to the Internet in isolation from the rest of the LAN
From what I've experienced with my own consumer-grade DMZ time ago: I have no clue if it isolates the machine (haven't tried communicating with other devices in the LAN while under it lol), but it redirects any packets that don't have a corresponding forwarding rule to the DMZ.
I guess it's still more like a custom firewall device?
Outside > Router > DMZ > LAN device
A normal consumer might not have much use out of it (and using it like the ultimate solution for forwarding is overkill and a bad idea), but someone experienced with networking and security might be able to implement something for themselves.

Thanks for the extra info!

Who is viewing this thread (Total: 1, Members: 0, Guests: 1)

Back