Bionicle THE 2D GAME!

Status
Not open for further replies.
...Oh dear. I don't think you've learned anything from your previous display. I think you need to learn how to actually make your own game for once. 1945 is there for you to learn how to code in Game Maker - and it's actually very easy to understand. It is not there for you to make a retool of it, with only replaced graphics and music. That does not make a new game. Sure, it has a different look, but remember that deep down inside, it's all about the gameplay mechanics, not the coat of paint you put on it.

Here's the challenge: next game you post on here, I want to see something made from scratch, not a retool. I don't care how simple it is. It can just be a collect-the-coins game or even a number-guessing game for all I care, but all I ask is that you at least make an attempt at creating your own work. You'll make a good impression on everyone that way, and you'll learn something, and will finally be able to get started down the path of game design.

Oh, come on, that's no excuse. You mean you can't even do something like "If player clicks on the ball, add one point to the score"? Game Maker is pretty easy to work with in the drag 'n' drop department. Game logic is actually pretty simple, should you be willing to learn it. And didn't I tell you twice before to start off small? First, make a simple Click the Ball game using the tutorial on the Game Maker website (don't just open the example file located on your computer - that's cheating!). Really, that tutorial is as basic as you can get, and if you don't understand it, then you don't really have much of a chance at making games (at which point you should probably just hold off).

You do know that Game Maker lets you do that, right? Click on the Show Information button in the Object Properties. For some strange reason though, you have to be in Advanced Mode for it to show up. Also, tooltips tell you what the icons all mean.

I'll Begin said:
Zaktan said:
I... can't... program... or... code... .
Then don't make games. *shot*
What foolishness is this? You were not shot, you made a very, very fine point.

Zaktan, what FoxBlitzz says will get you much further. My additional point is to actually read the help file.
I'm serious.
That thing has more information on Drag n Drop and GML than you could ever find on any forum. It is the motherload. Best of all, any window you see in Game maker will most likely have a button to open it up for quick reference (as I do consistently when using functions I don't normally use).

Ritz said:
Why are you all encouraging the use of Game Maker?

Winner of the topic right there.
Using Game Maker is exactly like saying "I don't want to learn how to code or do something useful, I just want to edit a pre-made test game with cruddy graphix and call it mine".

I'm not encouraging the use of Game Maker, I'm encouraging the proper use of Game Maker. I honestly don't care what people use to make their games, whether it be C, or even Klik & Play for that matter. All I care about is the end product. As for Clickteam's products, a lot of new users tend to use the built-in movements. I'll have to agree that they are buggy and non-modular. For those that are experienced however, you can get some pretty good games. Watkins and Eternal Daughter are two of the most prominent examples that packages like TGF and MMF can indeed be used to create commercial-quality games. These packages do some of the work for you (sprite drawing, window handling, etc.) but they still allow room for great creativity within the game itself, which I think game creation is all about.

With the right techniques, you can actually hide the fact that your game is made in Game Maker :3 Registered only ofcourse.
Why must people diss Game Maker? It is actually much more powerful than Mark deems it to be on the front page. It is definitly not made just for arcade games; people have made 3D modeling programs, hacking tools, MMORPGs, FPSs, fighting games, and just overall some amazing works of art in the small limitations of Game Maker Language. Additionally, you can take any DLL (as long as it's commands don't surpass a limit, but this is fixed in GM7. Proof, as I have beta tested it.) and use it's magic to further enhance your game or program.

I think the sprite pasted on object style of design is what has steered most people away from it. That's what I felt at first too. After realizing how much more powerful it is, it only took me 3 days before mustering up 20 bux and registering a full copy. If you know C++, use it instead.

On a side note, I actually do not know anything about Drag and Drop functions o.o only GML.

Maou-Shin Daioka said:
If your dad isn't too busy, ask him to teach you to code games, step by step, until you can do it on your own.

Unless you're like me and can't learn by getting taught it.

I actually went through a load of PHP code/tutorials (Techtuts.) and learnt from 1st hand experience rather than getting taught it, but I'm impatient, so, yeah.

I'm sure it's the same for C/C++ (Which I'm doing the same for now ^_^)

My dads never done working.
You sould look at his age on youtube.
Im going to tell the truth.
My dad... is my grand dad.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Who is viewing this thread (Total: 1, Members: 0, Guests: 1)

Back