Better lag system?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Correct me if I'm wrong, but I think the way SRB2's netcode (basic level) works is that every players postition is sent to every other player every nth amout of time. It could be better if the nth amount of time changed to sychronize with the amount of players there were, and the connection speeds they had. That way, you could actually control yourself in a laggy netgame, instead of having to wait for everybody's postions to be sent.
It's better then not being able to move in a netgame like that.
This probably wouldn't work quite as good in match, tag, or ctf netgames, because you have to aim at people, but it would be excellent for race or co-op.

What surprises me is that for send the positions of each player you need only to send some bytes for each one. Why do the game lag that? Seriously, there is something extra which is unnecessarily sent. :roll:

Actually, as it is SRB2 only sends what console commands that effect the server you put in, what things you say, and what buttons you have pressed. The only time positions, speeds, the random number "seed", and everything else is sent is when someone new joins the game. That's the stuff in $$$.sav

Which is why my bots work in netgames. I didn't have to change anything in the network code because everyone can predict where the bots will go, since they all generate the same random numbers and everything.

And it sends all the controls and whatnot every 1/35 of a second, as far as I know. If we were to assume the players are still holding the same buttons down and only send the controls every 2 seconds or so, we'd also need to send everyone's positions through or else suffer consistency failures every 2 seconds. Really.

Couldn't you have it so that the players positions are only changed every n amount of time though? You don't have to show their position at all times, right? (It's either that or lag)

But then it'd be all choppy in netgames, making it hard to figure out where your target is in modes like Match.

More to the point, if you made the netcode based on position, you could cheat VERY easily. The way the netcode is set up makes it almost impossible to do things the game doesn't let you do normally in netgames.

And you'd have those odditys you do in PSO's battle mode, people hitting you from far across teh room with melee weapons that only work when you're touching and apparently walking through walls due to lag and everything. :lol:

How about this: When a player is about to get CONFAIL'D, then why not have the server resend the current savegame to all of the players? It might be a little laggy when that happens, but it would be nice to get rid of confails.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Who is viewing this thread (Total: 1, Members: 0, Guests: 1)

Back