• Do not use Works in Progress as a way of avoiding the releases system! Works in Progress can be used for sharing early betas and for getting suggestions for improvement. Releases of finished content are not allowed in this forum! If you would like to submit a finished addon, click here for instructions on how to do so.

Best Character editor?

Status
Not open for further replies.
I've been trying to edit/draw characters, and i'm not sure which is the best one. DeapSea works but it always comes up with some transeparent pixel and won't let me save, and it doesn't exactly do good with copy and pasting images. I tried XWE and I have no clue how to draw images.(yes I did read the manual)

XWE is only a tool for inserting the images into your file.
Draw them in Paint or The GIMP Or It's Equivelants and then save them into a .BMP file. Then, use XWE to plop them into your WAD.

I'm sure that a441 would also have a way to import the sprites via a HEX editor and Lumpmod, but I'd guess that that'd be too hard.

I'd assume so, something like
Code:
lumpmod add SKINA1 charwad1.bmp
, but that's quite time consuming.

Well, I'm trying to start. I get too many errors, though.... First, there's
"failed to create key .WAD." Then I get "List index out of bounds (0) or (3)." What do I do?

Sonicandtails218 said:
I'd assume so, something like
Code:
lumpmod add SKINA1 charwad1.bmp
, but that's quite time consuming.
No. No, no, no! Absolutely not. If you did it via bitmap, then I'd be stunned if it actually worked.

a441 said:
Flats are raw image data. There's probably an editor you can use to put them in with, but here's what I do:

1. Flip the image vertically.
2. Save a bmp file (64x64, 128x128, or 256x256 in SRB2's palette).
3. Remove the first 1078 bytes of the file using a hex editor.
4. Insert the file using LumpMod. It doesn't matter what section it's in; you can just put it at the end of the wad file.

For future reference FLATS are stored in a different format than textures and sprites simply because of the way the DooM renderer handles them; they have to be specially formatted because the renderer is picky and treats sector floors and ceilings as polygons instead of space between walls like it should.

Oh, and by the way: XWE -> New Entry : FF_START -> Import your flat -> Image - Save as DooM Flat -> New Entry : FF_END

I use F_START and F_END, personally, but it's a heckuva lot easier than a441's method. I don't know why hotdog still supports it.

Darkhaven3 said:
For future reference FLATS are stored in a different format than textures and sprites simply because of the way the DooM renderer handles them; they have to be specially formatted because the renderer is picky and treats sector floors and ceilings as polygons instead of space between walls like it should.

Oh, and by the way: XWE -> New Entry : FF_START -> Import your flat -> Image - Save as DooM Flat -> New Entry : FF_END

I have problems with that.

does using 'doom flats' fix an error such as
"r_install bad frame character in lump 2516" 'cus i get this error when i try using the wad in srb2 and i use bitmaps and a random jpeg's here and there.

ree-c said:
does using 'doom flats' fix an error such as
"r_install bad frame character in lump 2516" 'cus i get this error when i try using the wad in srb2 and i use bitmaps and a random jpeg's here and there.

... KILL.

You can't add just ANY image. The format must be correct:
1. Any pixel that must be transparent (invisible) MUST be in TURQUISE (R: 0 G:255 B: 255)
2. Your bitmap MUST use the SRB2 pallete. You'll have to use Jasc Paintshop Pro or a similar imaging program that can handle palletes to do this.
3.... ree-c you should have made a new topic >_>

And no, "save as doom flat" will NOT fix your problem. The few lines above will. As a side note; JPEGs are for DIGITAL PICTURES, not game sprites.

Gee, I wish a441 was still around to tell me of the tricks of, well, stuff.

THANKS HOTDOG! *adds flats support to WAD Editor*

Status
Not open for further replies.

Who is viewing this thread (Total: 1, Members: 0, Guests: 1)

Back