Bad habit of picking the strongest character.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Super mystic sonic

The Golden Blur
Who has this bad habit of always choosing the most powerfull character in a game as their favorite one? Like in Smash Bros, lots of people play as Fox/Sheik/Marth not because they're a legitimate fan of them, but just because they're top tier.

How is that in your case?

Most of the times I choose characters because I'm a fan of them, although I don't play as characters that utterly suck, even though I might be a fan of them.

I would say in a lot of games, there are no "powerful" characters. What is powerful is the strategy and skill of the person controlling the character.

Hence, I pick characters whose strengths play into my strategies, whether they be to hit fast and run, be balanced all-round, or be slow and powerful.

Any character is "top tier" when played with the correct skill and strategy.

Alright, I'm going to use DBZ tenkaichi for this one.

You're fighting somebody just/nearly as good as you. He uses SSJ4 Gogeta.
You use Hercule....

Unless you give yourself a monstrous handicap and give Gogeta a very strong disadvantage, you have no way to win.

Works with Smash Bros, and with other games too. Skill and playstyle play a very important role, but if you play as a top tier character, there's a big chance you'll be able to beat somebody thats a little better than you but plays as a bottom tier character.

This more goes along with playing the game to win and playing the game just to goof off.

When I play a game to win, I choose a character that I'm good with, with a high power level. In SSBM, I happen to use Peach or Marth. However, if I'm just goofing off, I frequently use Zelda (not Shiek) and often lose because of it.

This is true in a lot of games with character selection. It really depends on what your priority set is. If you're playing to win and you're using Game and Watch, you're probably using the wrong character. However, if you're not concerned with winning, then there's no problem in using him.

SMS tries to create the most powerful recolor for SRB2 and then makes a topic saying overpowered-ness is bad. Tell me I'm not the only one who sees the irony here.

on Edge said:
SMS tries to create the most powerful recolor for SRB2 and then makes a topic saying overpowered-ness is bad. Tell me I'm not the only one who sees the irony here.

You're not the only one, believe me.

on Edge said:

Could you not involve SMS into anything anymore? Its cancelled since April, if you didn't know. I cancelled it for a reason, so stop bothering me about it.

I don't pick the most "powerful" characters... Heck, in most games, there really isn't a more powerful one. Like SSBM, every character has a strength and weakness; e.g, Marth is quick and has powerful attacks, but his attacks need to essentially perfect timing due to the speed, and you have to place the target at the edge of the blade to be effective; major disadvantage in enclosed maps, and his lack of prjectiles puts him at another disadvnatage against characters like Samus.

Also, Samus, likewise, has pathetic melee attacks, and you need to rely more on the chrge shot and missiles; powerful, but only really useful at long range.

Of course, you get more basic; slow-but fast, etc.

For the record, I use Marth and Link mainly. Mostly Marth.

Anyways; I never played DBZ Tenkachi... I've played Budokai 1 and 2, however. Hercule was pathetic. :<

"pimp mah goku" ~Akira Toriyama on DBZ Budokai.

Never choose the "Strongest" characters in videogames. Only shoose the one you're best and feel comfortable with. :3

ree-c said:
Also, Samus, likewise, has pathetic melee attacks, and you need to rely more on the chrge shot and missiles; powerful, but only really useful at long range.
Where've you been? Samus's meele attacks are superb, if only for the mid-air kicks. My usage of the charge shot comes closer to a trump card, rather than a spammy main method of attack.

What Mystic said. However I'd like to note, in SSBM while I generally play as Fox when I'm "playing to win" it's not because Fox is overpowered. I originally started playing with Fox because I'm a Starfox fan, but eventually I got used to his speed, so he's more of just my "specialty" character. (Consequently, I'm pretty good with Captain Falcon, as he's another fast character, but you get the idea.)

Of course, SSBM is the only fighting game I really play, so my opinion dosen't necissarily count for much...

Well I use Ness in smash...
Uh, I don't even know what tier he's in. o.o
Although, in other games, I usually use low tier characters. I went through LOZ:LTTP without extra hearts or upgraded equipment and stuff...

I use the character whose gameplay I like most, and usually mix that with whether I actually like the character or not. When there is not a clear difference in gameplay, I usually just pick my favorite character. I don't play that many fighting/racing games, so I really don't have much experience with that sort of thing.

Jazz said:
I would say in a lot of games, there are no "powerful" characters. What is powerful is the strategy and skill of the person controlling the character.

Hence, I pick characters whose strengths play into my strategies, whether they be to hit fast and run, be balanced all-round, or be slow and powerful.

I usually get good strategy with the coolest looking charecter first XD.

Well, in cases of SSBM I use the characters that I am best with, and coincidentally, which are my favorite characters. I use a variety, but almost all speed characters. I use Falco, Pichu, Link, Luigi, and sometimes Marth. This is why I made the decision to use Sonic in Brawl. I am used to speedy characters, and I like Sonic. So, no, I don't choose based on skills.

In SSBM, I play as everyone equally. I'm not sure why. Also, Budokai Tenkaichi 1 is so easy as any character combo. I won that SSJ4 Goteta vs Hercule scenario. The game is based too much on special attacks, and the AI is too predictable.

Warpshade said:
In SSBM, I play as everyone equally. I'm not sure why. Also, Budokai Tenkaichi 1 is so easy as any character combo. I won that SSJ4 Goteta vs Hercule scenario. The game is based too much on special attacks, and the AI is too predictable.

And the bot is actually as good as you? I also mentioned that you should be playing against someone who has your amount experience and skill. Skill plays an amazing role, but if you're fighting somebody who is just as skilled/n00bish as you, the strongest character will nearly always own the weaker ones.

In Tenkaichi: Haven't fiddled with difficulty settings much. I did once, got beat, and put it back. I'm better now, though... maybe I'll try later...

In Melee: I beat my friends consistently, although not 100% of the time. I can take on a lvl 9 bot 1v1 with anyone, but I'm almost sure I wouln't stand a chance against 2. My GC memory card became corrupt recently, so I've been focusing on regaining my stages and characters at the moment. I just got the last stage and whatnot, unlocking the Sound Test. Then I tried to play and it tells me my card needs formatting. Quite irritating.

Jazz said:

Same. I own as Amy in SA2.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Who is viewing this thread (Total: 1, Members: 0, Guests: 1)

Back