Authentic PS1 Looks

So, I messed with the settings a little bit, and the only reason i liked this is because before any of the other settings were changed, i liked 320x200. now, it gives off an authentic PS1 look! here are the settings changed:
resolution 320x200
renderer opengl
go into advanced settings for colors, and set all brightness to -10
hud transparency 3
draw distance 1024
weather draw distance none
nights hoop draw distance 256
fps compact
fps cap unlimited
OPENGL OPTIONS BELOW
--------------------------------------
models on
interpolation sometimes
shaders off
texture filter trilinear
enjoy!

Screenshot 2024-06-14 11.51.27 PM.png

Post automatically merged:

it also gives a huge fps boost! well, for me. im at 50-60fps now!

I'd recommend the following changes to make it more accurate:
The PS1 didn't have trilinear texture filtering. Setting the texture filter to "Nearest Neighbor" would be more PS1-y.
Bring the HUD transparency to 100?? I don't know how this adds to the PS1 look.
Capping the FPS at 60 would make it run at the framerate the PS1 actually ran at. (At least in NTSC regions. In PAL, it was 50 FPS.)

I also recommend making the resolution 320x240 because that's a resolution the PS1 is actually able to display, but it might not work terribly well with mods that have custom HUDs so I understand if you don't do that.

I'd recommend the following changes to make it more accurate:
The PS1 didn't have trilinear texture filtering. Setting the texture filter to "Nearest Neighbor" would be more PS1-y.
Bring the HUD transparency to 100?? I don't know how this adds to the PS1 look.
Capping the FPS at 60 would make it run at the framerate the PS1 actually ran at. (At least in NTSC regions. In PAL, it was 50 FPS.)

I also recommend making the resolution 320x240 because that's a resolution the PS1 is actually able to display, but it might not work terribly well with mods that have custom HUDs so I understand if you don't do that.
i put it on 300x240, and you were right! also, by cranking up the Hud transparency to 100, put it on the max? there isnt any nearest neighbor for srb2 vanilla though, so were ps1 textures blurry or not? also, i can cap it at 60fps.

i put it on 300x240, and you were right! also, by cranking up the Hud transparency to 100, put it on the max? there isnt any nearest neighbor for srb2 vanilla though, so were ps1 textures blurry or not? also, i can cap it at 60fps.
Nearest neighbor is usable in SRB2.
It’s likely it’s under some other name like just “Nearest”.
Also: the PS1 did not have blurry textures. That was an N64 thing.

Nearest neighbor is usable in SRB2.
It’s likely it’s under some other name like just “Nearest”.
TLDR: the PS1 did not have blurry textures. That was an N64 thing.
ok, thanks!
Post automatically merged:

yknow, it would be pretty cool if there was an authentic ps1 mod though, that way people dont have to mess with their settings.

Last edited:
If you're going for true authenticity, there's a certain graphical effect the PS1 is known for (I forget the exact name for it) that gave 3D visuals a "wobbly" appearance. It was a technological limitation of the hardware at the time, but it has since gone on to be considered part of the PS1's charm by many fans of its visuals and is a key part of what makes the PS1 nostalgic in comparison to other 3D systems such as the Saturn and N64.

If you're going for true authenticity, there's a certain graphical effect the PS1 is known for (I forget the exact name for it) that gave 3D visuals a "wobbly" appearance. It was a technological limitation of the hardware at the time, but it has since gone on to be considered part of the PS1's charm by many fans of its visuals and is a key part of what makes the PS1 nostalgic in comparison to other 3D systems such as the Saturn and N64.
ok, now theres GOTTA be a mod for this. unfortunately, i cant create mods. and if i ask anyone, ill get scolded and eventually banned. i guess these settings will have to do for now.

Who is viewing this thread (Total: 1, Members: 0, Guests: 1)

Back