Audio Suggestion

Status
Not open for further replies.
B

Bigboi

When you guys make the next version of SRB2, make sure to set up the audio in a way so that if you turn it down, you only turn the game down, not the entire computer sound.

bigboi said:
When you guys make the next version of SRB2, make sure to set up the audio in a way so that if you turn it down, you only turn the game down, not the entire computer sound.

That's why there is a sound option menu.

Yes, then the sound effects could fail to work on many people's systems and turn all screechy and horrible sounding when the game loses focus too.

I guess I never noticed before because I don't usually turn the volume up/down. Please forgive my harshness.

Actually, those sound issues where turning the main SFX volume down affects non-midi music happens in some commercial games. Usually it's because changing the global volume for the selected sound output device also affects the music that's going through the SAME sound output device.

In the game I'm working on I get around this issue by manually assigning the volume level for each sound effect I play to the sound level selected on the options screen. This way the music remains unaffected by the global volume and is also given a manual volume assignment. The global volume setting is never touched.

I'm guessing that would be the solution to this, if it's even worth the trouble to change. As I said before, some commercial games do it the easier way even and usually it's not that big a deal unless you want your music much louder than your sounds.

--- Gemini

My personal solution to it was to place everything on full volume and then set the main volume control really low. That way it affects everything equally, and doesn't make anything act weird.

Really?

I always found the only loud sound effect compared to the music to be the armageddon shield blast. Actually, that sound is so loud it startles me when I accidentally touch an enemy instead of bounce over it.

*shrugs* Of course, after playing Sonic CD for the PC and dealing with stupid-loud jumping SFX compared to the rest of the sounds, let alone the quiet CD-audio tracks, perhaps I'm just used to Sonic SFX being loud?

--- Gemini

While on the subject of music... What's the tune that plays on the Techno Hill 2 level? (tunes 05 on the console)...

I can't get it out of my head! lol :eek:

Please don't bump old topics, DarkAngel. This topic is almost 3 months old. More than about two weeks and it's just there for archival purposes.

Um, actually, I don't think the Spindash Rev is loud at all... Oh wait... *turns on speakers* AAH! IT's... I means... like LOUD!!!

Bringing up what everyone tells newbies: Ask in the IRC channels first. If they cant help you somehow in someway, and if you didnt find the last 15 topics being talked about, then make a new topic.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Who is viewing this thread (Total: 1, Members: 0, Guests: 1)

Back