As you get older are you playing less video games?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Mmmm...Zarro, I agree with you for pretty much all of that. I know what you mean. I was reading on gamefaqs about some new era gamer's review on the original Mario Bros.

He gave it 1/10 stating that it was too difficult, there were no save points, and it is almost impossible to beat without cheats.

The day I read that I felt much pity for the modern gaming world. (Hehe, that's why I like Gunz though, takes so much skill that it scares me :D)

Ultimate said:
He gave it 1/10 stating that it was too difficult, there were no save points, and it is almost impossible to beat without cheats.
The original game, as great as it is, is overrated. But it doesn't deserve that score.

I'd love to see him microwave toothpaste in a poorly ventilated room. You know, casual gaming wouldn't have been such a fatal pandemic if today's children were as creative with electronic appliances as they're meant to be.

Luminous said:
Ultimate said:
The original game, as great as it is, is overrated. But it doesn't deserve that score.

Just to add it did have save points.(Press up on title screen to select the latest world)

Luminous said:
Autosaver said:
Just to add it did have save points.(Press up on title screen to select the latest world)
That/s when you beat the game. Select+Start is when you get a game over

Err....Whatever I just heard something along the words
"level,continue,select,up" On a SMB1 video.

Thanks for the correction.

MasterJace said:
Ultimate said:
(Hehe, that's why I like Gunz though, takes so much skill that it scares me :D)

I can't tell if you were being serious, or just facetious.

Yeah, I'm often confusing like that ^^" However, I was completely serious. I just uploaded a pretty good 3 vs 3 match so you can see what I mean. I had to turn the graphics to absolute minimum so that I could get decent FPS while using fraps. It's even crazier in a 4vs4 >=]

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=3eFdVFXzxfs&fmt=18

*NOTE: Every time you hear a beep, it means a shot hit. Also...moving like they do in the video is extremely difficult D:

I used to think really bad games were good, but now I have a sense of personality and stopped going to sites like IGN for reviews, unless it's a game I absolutely know I wont get a chance to own. I've also been better at defending myself against flame wars.

BlueZero4 said:
You know, I don't play GunZ any more because of people like you.

GunZ' only broken mechanic is the ijji version, which appears to be the only I can connect to, decided they would NOT fix the bug in which you can swap weapons freely/rapidly in the air. It is pretty obvious this mechanic should NOT be in the game, because people who should clearly be hacking are not. In fact, in succeeding to kill a butterflyer, I was kicked from the room, because
"It's impossible for a n00b to kill a butterflyer. You're hacking".

I kid you not, half the community thinks playing "NORMALLY" isn't a play "style", and if you don't mash every key on your keyboard at the same time to play the game, you're a n00b.

Shortly after complaining to them that they need to fix this, I was banned from the forum for no reason. I was merely banned, and that's that. In other words, the very RUNNERS of ijji refuse to change ANY game mechanics at all, and if you suggest something to fix a bug or problem, they ban you on the spot.

...And that is why I no longer play GunZ. :)

Wow...banned from the forums? That's pretty messed up.
However, ijji can't change the mechanics, since they are only hosting the game. A separate company, maiet does all the programming. As for the play style, that is what Gunz is meant to be, those techniques are no longer considered glitches/cheating. At first, swapping weapons/reload shot were labeled abusive, and were originally patched.

However, later the programmers realized that by making these glitches a part of the game, a huge amount of tactical value was added, making the game have much more variety. It also requires players to spend a lot more time learning the techniques and practicing. Without all the advanced moves and techniques, I personally wouldn't find Gunz nearly as fun as it is. The techniques make it heavily dependent on how much you practice. It's not a quick to learn shooter. Most FPS/TPS are just walk/jog/shoot/jump. Gunz lets you do so much more ^^

Almost forgot - I agree, the gunz community is terrible.

I'm tired of those people. Once I was on Metal Gear Online. Some guy was spamming punches on newbies and flaming them for trying. He saw me and tossed a smoke grenade. I simply dodged it by running to him. He began his spam punching when I did so, which let me knock him down with a roll. Once he got up, he got out a machine gun and started shooting at me. He had bad aim, so I crouched, ran right in front of him, got on top of him, and smuthered him. He got mad and kicked me. I find it sad that people have to flame newbies to maintain happiness. In fact, I felt sorry for him. I wanted to help him, but I never looked at his username, and the server appeared to have ended.
Anyway, they're annoying. We don't hack. We don't cheat. We just play the game at it's fullest. Just ignore them. Or, if you can, show them how your "hacks" are legit by "using the hacks" on them.

Blue Warrior said:
I'd love to see that reviewer play Rocket Knight Adventures.
RKA (US version's) Hard mode, anyone?

Sheesh.

Easy was hard at first, Medium is still somewhat of a pain...

Hard is fucking impossible.

And this is coming from someone who grew up playing it.

Also, the last line or two of Questionguy555's post reminded me... I've been called a hacker a few times on TM servers because of how fast I tend to be for a player who sticks to using the keyboard. Because, y'know, it certainly has nothing to do with the fact that I've been playing the games in the series for about 3 years, and thereby have a good idea of what I'm doing...

Back on the correct topic, I do find myself playing games less, due to work and such taking its toll on me; but then again, I also spend more time coding things than I did before, too.

I myself am doing the complete opposite from the topic title. I seem to be playing more, although it's not exactly as such a big library. Mostly it's an online game on Civilization, SRB2, Jedi Academy, whatever.

Though, if you would talk about different games, it's a completely different story, specifically that I ran out of most games to buy. ,': /

Ultimate said:
However, later the programmers realized that by making these glitches a part of the game, a huge amount of tactical value was added, making the game have much more variety.

No.

You see, every other server host of GunZ has FIXED this problem, EXCEPT ijji. A bug is a bug, and if it isn't fixed, several people are suffering for it, specifically people who play the game like humans.

If there is a feature in a game that is clearly there but you cannot unlock it and cannot play using it right away, then it is clearly not a feature, but instead a hinderance. If a game, especially a FPS, is not balanced, then it is in no way fun, and all it will envoke is rage and hate towards everything about the game.

GunZ has a VERY well thought out system that would clearly be perfected if the bug was removed, and it would be a much more enjoyable game over all -- but it seems the runners of the ijji server are too afraid to lose population that worry about silly things like "fun".

GunZ can be fun, but as soon as someone abusing a bug joins a room, you can clearly see all fun is removed. When a game stops being fun, that's where I draw the line, and stop playing. The very runners of the community banning me for "not having fun"? Hysterical.

Now, while it's entirely possible to develop yourself to adjust to a control sceme to abuse bugs, make major note: none of the people abusing the bugs can type coherently, and this would sugest it is easy to abuse bugs yourself, but it clearly is not, and as such, I can only believe they are, themselves, hacking the game. All of them. And in abusing/hacking, are you actually having fun doing this? You might be winning, but is it fun?

Winning != Fun

I've had MUCH more fun killing bug abusers than abusing the bug myself. But being banned for it? Let me summarize:

You are allowed, and encouraged to abuse bugs.
If you do not abuse bugs, you are a n00b.
If you kill someone abusing bugs while you are not yourself abusing bugs, you are a hacker.
If you sugest the server fix the bugs, you will be banned.

ZarroTsu said:
You see, every other server host of GunZ has FIXED this problem, EXCEPT ijji. A bug is a bug, and if it isn't fixed, several people are suffering for it, specifically people who play the game like humans.
No, every other host allows these techniques as well. A bug is no longer a parasite if it is recognized by the host as beneficial. Gunz takes practice. It's similar to a musical instrument. Do pro pianists play like a regular person could? No. It takes hours of dedication and practicing to improve yourself. That is what Gunz is.

ZarroTsu said:
If there is a feature in a game that is clearly there but you cannot unlock it and cannot play using it right away, then it is clearly not a feature, but instead a hinderance.
It is not a feature. It is a technique and learning it takes practice. Not everything comes easy. It is completely fair. If you don't want to put in the practice to learn it, that's not other people's problems. No one knows can do those techniques without practice. No one can play Liszt's La Campanella without ever touching a piano before.

ZarroTsu said:
If a game, especially a FPS, is not balanced, then it is in no way fun, and all it will envoke is rage and hate towards everything about the game.
It's a TPS. It is balanced, it just takes practice. Like any instrument. For example, learning piano is very fair, but how good you are is up to you.

ZarroTsu said:
GunZ has a VERY well thought out system that would clearly be perfected if the bug was removed, and it would be a much more enjoyable game over all -- but it seems the runners of the ijji server are too afraid to lose population that worry about silly things like "fun".
No, without the bug Gunz would be nothing. It would not be unique at all. It would become Exteel. Gunz is NOT worried about losing population. In fact, by keeping in these techniques a huge amount of people (such as yourself) do not like the game. It appeals to a very small community - To those who are willing to devote hours upon hours to become the best. To those willing to practice and develop teamwork strategies. Without these difficult techniques the player population would rise immensely. Once again, ijji cannot change any of the gameplay.

ZarroTsu said:
Now, while it's entirely possible to develop yourself to adjust to a control sceme to abuse bugs, and this would sugest it is easy to abuse bugs yourself, but it clearly is not, and as such, I can only believe they are, themselves, hacking the game. All of them.
Once again, they are not bugs. You are saying that "because the techniques are difficult to learn, they are hacks". That is completely illogical.

ZarroTsu said:
make major note: none of the people abusing the bugs can type coherently,
This is a logical fallacy. An adhominim. You are attacking players rather than the game itself.

ZarroTsu said:
And in abusing/hacking, are you actually having fun doing this? You might be winning, but is it fun?

Winning != Fun

I've had MUCH more fun killing bug abusers than abusing the bug myself.
That is personal opinion. In Gunz, when you win, it is a display of how much you have dedicated to improving yourself. Gunz is not a laid back game, and without practice you won't get better. If you aren't willing to practice, Gunz won't be fun. Same with music. If you don't practice, you will never improve, and you won't have fun.

I hate to butt in, but this discussion is not what this topic is about. If you two want to continue this, go ahead and use PM's.

Thanks.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Who is viewing this thread (Total: 1, Members: 0, Guests: 1)

Back