Are there any more levels planned for SRB2 is there just more qol features in the future

I believe I heard a while ago that act 3 of something was going to happen and I'm wondering if the game is all 'done' yet or if there's still more planned stuff to be done

Red Volcano 2 & 3, EGZ 3 and 2 new zones called Dark City (DCZ) and Grand Eggship (GEZ)

Honestly if the 2.3 is only about Red Volcano 2 and 3 and a revamp of Egg Rock I'd be fine with it.

Multiple big updates are still planned. This game is still a decade or more away from completion, unless development speed has increased from its previous rate.

If the completion of the game is still a decade or more out, then I wonder how much interest there will be in playing the remaining levels by then.

What I am getting at here, is that the game can be modded so heavily now that there will likely be many custom campaigns (with some that might not even include Sonic and friends considering the custom characters these days). Future versions will likely see even heavier modding as SRB2 evolves to a sort of standalone engine with a full game included.

If the completion of the game is still a decade or more out, then I wonder how much interest there will be in playing the remaining levels by then.

What I am getting at here, is that the game can be modded so heavily now that there will likely be many custom campaigns (with some that might not even include Sonic and friends considering the custom characters these days). Future versions will likely see even heavier modding as SRB2 evolves to a sort of standalone engine with a full game included.
Bouncing off of this, SRB2’s engine is open-source. This means that anyone can use SRB2’s engine to make their own game or build upon it to make an even better engine! At some point in the future, I’d really like to make a game using SRB2’s engine and, if it gets big enough, make a fuller version to be bought commercially. You can do literally anything you want with it and it’s because of the nice folks at STJr allowing us to do so like Doom’s developers before them

The new levels being planned in and of itself is small stuff. What's more interesting is what new stage gimmicks and badniks we will get out of it. Anyone could go and fill in the missing gaps in the stage select with maps they made themselves based on the planned stages, but whatever STJR puts out will likely best it in production quality by a wide margin simply because of the care and effort they put into such things over long stretches of time.

If I remember correctly, I think there actually used to be an old wad circulating around the internet back in the 2.1 days doing that exact concept actually, filling in the missing planned stages with custom made ones. I remember them being bland and mediocre at best though.

The new levels being planned in and of itself is small stuff. What's more interesting is what new stage gimmicks and badniks we will get out of it. Anyone could go and fill in the missing gaps in the stage select with maps they made themselves based on the planned stages, but whatever STJR puts out will likely best it in production quality by a wide margin simply because of the care and effort they put into such things over long stretches of time.
This is absolutely true. The current GFZ1 we have is an absolute great example for a first level in any video game simply because it’s been worked on for 20 years. The missing maps do exist and have been in development for a while, they’re just confidential info that we don’t have access to

Honestly I'd be entirely fine if STJ decided to not implement Dark City nor Grand Eggship into the main campaign but only as mods because SRB2 with 6 main zones is entirely fine as it is.

Honestly I'd be entirely fine if STJ decided to not implement Dark City nor Grand Eggship into the main campaign but only as mods because SRB2 with 6 main zones is entirely fine as it is.
Those two zones have been planned since 1998 and SRB2 is in a very unfinished state right now. Yes, it has a lot of polish, but it is still unfinished

Those two zones have been planned since 1998 and SRB2 is in a very unfinished state right now. Yes, it has a lot of polish, but it is still unfinished
But when I think about it the game's length would probably be too much if we ever get two entirely new Zones in this decade.

Sometimes less is more.

But when I think about it the game's length would probably be too much if we ever get two entirely new Zones in this decade.

Sometimes less is more.
I mean, yea, sure, but, uh... have you ever looked at the length of S3&K? And that game had levels just as massive.

Even then, that's 9 (we're already at 7) normal S3&K+ scope zones, which is just above S1 and below S2. I think that's fine.

Last edited:

Sometimes less is more.
14 levels is pretty good for a game. For someone that really likes the Classic era, I'm surprised that you wouldn't want there to be more zones to reflect the true vision of this project

Bouncing off of this, SRB2’s engine is open-source. This means that anyone can use SRB2’s engine to make their own game or build upon it to make an even better engine! At some point in the future, I’d really like to make a game using SRB2’s engine and, if it gets big enough, make a fuller version to be bought commercially. You can do literally anything you want with it and it’s because of the nice folks at STJr allowing us to do so like Doom’s developers before them
That might be easier said than done (in the case of a commercial product), because the SRB2 engine is licensed under the GPL (which it inherited from the Doom engine). The GPL states that every person who buys your game must also have unlimited access to your source code (so someone can legally reskin your game and give it away for free).

Though unless SRB2 goes to version 3 of the license, there are some solutions which are a bit convoluted, but can otherwise protect your code (at least to the same extent as games made in other engines).

That might be easier said than done (in the case of a commercial product), because the SRB2 engine is licensed under the GPL (which it inherited from the Doom engine). The GPL states that every person who buys your game must also have unlimited access to your source code (so someone can legally reskin your game and give it away for free).

Though unless SRB2 goes to version 3 of the license, there are some solutions which are a bit convoluted, but can otherwise protect your code (at least to the same extent as games made in other engines).
Yeah, I'm aware that I'd have to make it open source and I'm completely okay with that

Honestly, the zones for SRB2 rn is actually great as is aside from RV Act 2 & 3 and ER Revamp. It doesn't really feel like it needs one more zone or anything.

Dark City & Grand Eggship do sound interesting so I hope we get them in some form.

If Red Volcano gets its 2nd and 3rd Act and we gave Egg Rock a boss act, wouldn't there be 8 separate Zones (Black Core being the last)?

I still remember when this game only had 3 Zones, look how far we came from.

Who is viewing this thread (Total: 1, Members: 0, Guests: 1)

Back