Aquatic_Labyrinth2.wad

Status
Not open for further replies.

Kuja

MAP 05
http://www.sendspace.com/file/jyn6m6
EDIT:header fixed.
Well, this will most likely be the last level that I post before I start working on making them mod-worthy. This one was a bit of a strain to make, as I didn't really know how I wanted the stage to run at first. So I broke out my Genesis and played through Scrap Brain Zone 2. This level was the result.
ALZ2 includes both poison and (relatively) safe water with a greenish hue. It takes roughly 2:00, 2:30 tops to complete. Its not quite done, as it still feels somewhat unfinished. I may do something special with the two buttons near the beginning, but I haven't decided.

screen shots:
srb20020bx8.png

Sonic running through a fork in the path...

srb20022uz9.png

...Into the greenish water tunnel...

srb20023ko6.png

...Down the steps between toxic waterfalls...
srb20026ks9.png

...And into some underwater ruins.

Any thoughts to improve the stage or problems to point out would be greatly appreciated.

Well, it was okay. I'm glad to know that your not finished with it though. My biggest concern is that you have to jump the moment the level starts to avoid getting shot (I did anyways). Move the turrets and the crawlas (they sneak up if the guns don't get you) to another location, please. Everything else was fine, but ALZ1 and RCZ2 were a lot more fun in my opinion...

Don't feel like you have to crank out a level every day, like it seems like you are doing. Level quality can suffer from rushing sometimes.

I'm looking forward to the mod/levelpack, though!

Oh, and does the order you push the buttons really matter?

Props for having an act 2 with a different style than act 1.

I didn't like the one "path" though. It didn't go anywhere in particular, had current to keep you from going anywhere, and was the more obvious choice. Also, having buttons was rather pointless seeing as how you were had to push the button to exit the stage. At least in THZ2, you had to go out of the way to push a button. Not here. :/

I still like my deafed rings. D;

alright, lets see here...

1. Like I said, I didn't really know how I wanted the stage to work, so I may just get rid of the buttons. Nobody seems to like buttons, and I see no reason to keep them around anyway as a gimmick. No, it didn't matter which order they were pressed, I just felt like giving them numbers :)

2. I'll try to tone down the enemy level, also. I may just replace some enemies with others, and remove others altogether. I'll try to be more tactful next time...

3.Hmm. Deafed rings bug me-I tend to use them too much or not at all in my maps. But I guess I can mix it up a bit...

4.This is my last map before I withdraw for a while and work on perfecting my maps for a mod. Consumer opinions FTW =D

My main problem isn't the fact that they're lying on the ground, it's just that I lose my sense of distance when the rings are sitting on the ground. Maybe it's too many bad memories with rings BELOW the floor, but I just play better when they're floating.

Deafed rings float, right? well, I once made a map where mostly all of the rings on the stage were just floating really high in the air, which wasn't good.

...OH LAWD O_O. I see what HALF the problem was. I mistakenly put the "1P" marker in the room I was working on, and I didn't put it BACK. God,what a nOOb mistake...>_< I put the marker back, and I reuploaded it.

There's a difference between floating rings and deafed rings. Floating can be any height you want, deafed are 32 units above the ground. If you are not floating the ring high in the air, ALWAYS deaf your rings. It looks a lot nicer to have them floating a few units off the ground than to have them shoved halfway through the ground.

I've finished the level-it has been sort of revamped, and so it has no buttons, some rearranged enemies, a few new shortcuts and secrets, and deafed rings(thanks, Shuffle). I uploaded the done level:
http://www.sendspace.com/file/jyn6m6

And with that, I take my leave. Thanks to everyone who commented :)

Kuja said:
I've finished the level-it has been sort of revamped, and so it has no buttons, some rearranged enemies, a few new shortcuts and secrets, and deafed rings(thanks, Shuffle).
It just gets better and better! Since Rush Canyon Zone 1 I have seen a lot of improvement in you, and I'm looking forward to the mod!
Kuja said:
And with that, I take my leave. Thanks to everyone who commented :)
Absolutely!

Status
Not open for further replies.

Who is viewing this thread (Total: 1, Members: 0, Guests: 1)

Back