anyone remember the old days?

Status
Not open for further replies.

SRB2Veteran

We understand that troubleshooting can be frustrating, but it's not okay to post huge rants full of all caps like this no matter how frustrated you are. Forum posts, especially those about troubleshooting, are expected to be polite and concise.
does anyone remember the EXTREMELY EARLY AND OLD DAYS of SRB2 back BEFORE all this port forwarding hurdle shit? I DO I WAS HERE BACK THEN I COULD HOST WITHOUT PORT FORWARDING ANYTHING OR RISKING MY IP ADDRESS back when people could join servers and make servers FREELY without any hurdles or obsticals like PORT FORWARDING i was back during the early early days when everyone says oh it was the CRAPPY srb2 it was far from crappy IT ACTUALLY LEFT PEOPLE JOIN AND HOST FREELY that did NOT make it terrible that made it a hell of alot better i miss the old days when it was like that i am a veteran at the game for example those NOW chaos emerald COINS were NOT coins at all when i last played THEY WERE THE ACTUAL CHAOS EMERALDS in place of the coins and the first zone did not look the way it does now it looked MUCH different at the end of the level why did you guys even emplament port forwarding in the first damn place just to do NOTHING but do a MARIO KART of sonic ? why add the hurdle of port forwarding just to make it harder to HOST and join? i think what happened is a team of hackers ended up hijacking all of SRB2 hence why the entire site was BROKEN and WHITE with no texture AT ALL so before the port forwarding allow me to explain what the SO CALLED UPDATE was all about that caused this shit remember a few years back when oh you no longer go under the PINK SLIME in one of the zones but now you BOUNCE on the surface of it instead of going underneath and drowning yeah.........before THAT specific update was when you didint need port forwarding to host and join you could play freely BEFORE that update happened and AFTER that update oh now its port forward everything WHY just to be fucking assholes? back to my thoughts on why i think a group of "fans of the game" decided to hack the servers and the site itself to completely hijack the game making it how THEY want it to be my guess is because the ORIGINAL owners who MADE this game from the ground up either did not update the game much anymore OR because they didint pander to a certain side of fans or some bs like that or the 3rd possible reason is because maybe the ORIGINAL DEVS of SRB2 abandoned the game to either work on other projects or just because they didint want to be bothered with it anymore so im guessing because of this a rogue group of "fans" hijacked it making it all about kart racing but also completely overhalled the game with their own design and wants ADDING the UN-NEEDED HURDLE of PORT FORWARDING that is all port forwarding is a DAMN HURDLE that if done the wrong way COMPLETELY FUCKS YOUR INTERNET AND ROUTER UP AND BRICKS YOUR ROUTER now how do i know this?..........simple..........IT HAPPENED TO ME and after words i had to be FORCED to buy a new fucking modem because of accidently BRICKING my old modem BECAUSE OF PORT FORWARDING .....so.......look in the archives look for the version that mentions about the pink slime or pink water or whatever that you no longer sink in and drown but bounce on top of as if it was a bouncy floor or walk over as if it wasint liquid surface i know damn well its in the archives somewhere because thats the update that destroyed the game for MANY OLD TIME PLAYERS LIKE ME if anyone remembers the old days before port forwarding please let me know and if anyone can tell me WHY my server still does not appear on the MASTER SERVER LIST so people CAN join me let me know because i can host for hours and no one will see my server to even be able to join if anyone is actually not an asshole in the community of srb2 devs or.......REPLACEMENT devs please let me know what im supposedly doing wrong in order to host a PUBLIC ONLINE SERVER after i already port forwarded in

A rude response to a post like this does not help. Just use the report button, please.
There is no way this is a real post by a real human being who decided to write an essay complaining about port forwarding and also sneaking in complaining about the dev team changing and completely ruining the game. This has to be ironic. How do you say the same thing over and over again so many times. No wonder this is an old school fan my man sounds like a 90 year old complaining about women showing their ankles

does anyone remember the EXTREMELY EARLY AND OLD DAYS of SRB2 back BEFORE all this port forwarding hurdle shit? I DO I WAS HERE BACK THEN I COULD HOST WITHOUT PORT FORWARDING ANYTHING OR RISKING MY IP ADDRESS back when people could join servers and make servers FREELY without any hurdles or obsticals like PORT FORWARDING i was back during the early early days when everyone says oh it was the CRAPPY srb2 it was far from crappy IT ACTUALLY LEFT PEOPLE JOIN AND HOST FREELY that did NOT make it terrible that made it a hell of alot better i miss the old days when it was like that i am a veteran at the game for example those NOW chaos emerald COINS were NOT coins at all when i last played THEY WERE THE ACTUAL CHAOS EMERALDS in place of the coins and the first zone did not look the way it does now it looked MUCH different at the end of the level why did you guys even emplament port forwarding in the first damn place just to do NOTHING but do a MARIO KART of sonic ? why add the hurdle of port forwarding just to make it harder to HOST and join? i think what happened is a team of hackers ended up hijacking all of SRB2 hence why the entire site was BROKEN and WHITE with no texture AT ALL so before the port forwarding allow me to explain what the SO CALLED UPDATE was all about that caused this shit remember a few years back when oh you no longer go under the PINK SLIME in one of the zones but now you BOUNCE on the surface of it instead of going underneath and drowning yeah.........before THAT specific update was when you didint need port forwarding to host and join you could play freely BEFORE that update happened and AFTER that update oh now its port forward everything WHY just to be fucking assholes? back to my thoughts on why i think a group of "fans of the game" decided to hack the servers and the site itself to completely hijack the game making it how THEY want it to be my guess is because the ORIGINAL owners who MADE this game from the ground up either did not update the game much anymore OR because they didint pander to a certain side of fans or some bs like that or the 3rd possible reason is because maybe the ORIGINAL DEVS of SRB2 abandoned the game to either work on other projects or just because they didint want to be bothered with it anymore so im guessing because of this a rogue group of "fans" hijacked it making it all about kart racing but also completely overhalled the game with their own design and wants ADDING the UN-NEEDED HURDLE of PORT FORWARDING that is all port forwarding is a DAMN HURDLE that if done the wrong way COMPLETELY FUCKS YOUR INTERNET AND ROUTER UP AND BRICKS YOUR ROUTER now how do i know this?..........simple..........IT HAPPENED TO ME and after words i had to be FORCED to buy a new fucking modem because of accidently BRICKING my old modem BECAUSE OF PORT FORWARDING .....so.......look in the archives look for the version that mentions about the pink slime or pink water or whatever that you no longer sink in and drown but bounce on top of as if it was a bouncy floor or walk over as if it wasint liquid surface i know damn well its in the archives somewhere because thats the update that destroyed the game for MANY OLD TIME PLAYERS LIKE ME if anyone remembers the old days before port forwarding please let me know and if anyone can tell me WHY my server still does not appear on the MASTER SERVER LIST so people CAN join me let me know because i can host for hours and no one will see my server to even be able to join if anyone is actually not an asshole in the community of srb2 devs or.......REPLACEMENT devs please let me know what im supposedly doing wrong in order to host a PUBLIC ONLINE SERVER after i already port forwarded in
I have no idea what your even saying, this is too long to even read

Please format your post better so it is actually legible.

As you were told in the Discord:
  • You always had to port forward. Matter of fact, this was a staple in network security.
  • If you never had to, that is because YOUR OLD NETWORK WAS INSECURE. If you were plugged directly into your modem, or your router had no firewall or NAT whatsoever, anyone would be able to communicate with services inside your network (i.e. no forwarding! hooray!). That was practically A SECURITY HAZARD.
  • If you are adamant that old SRB2 versions did not require port forwarding, why don't you download the version you remember off srb2.org and try it yourself? You'll notice that, yes, you still need to forward ports for anyone outside your network to connect to you.
To host a game that people can join to, you need to forward UDP port 5029.
How to do so can be found on the internet, merely by opening Google and searching "how to port forward". You might need to find your router's model and make to get instructions specific to you though.

Do not yell at people who are trying to help you.
and yet people could still join me before and hmm funny enough now that i had finally been able to PORT FORWARD hmm why is it im not showing up on the MASTER SERVER LISTING HMM? CAN SOMEONE FUCKING TELL ME HOW THE FUCK WHEN I DID EVERYTHING RIGHT I DID THE UDP PORT 5029 YET OH LOOK STILL NO SIGN OF MY SERVER ON THE MASTER SERVER LISTING MEANING NO ONE CAN SEE MY SERVER TO EVEN JOIN SO BY ALL MEANS EXPLAIN THAT TO ME

Here is a video from 2013 stating that you need to portforward in order to host a server.

Portforwarding is complicated, you may think you've done it right but there are other things that can mess it up. I'm willing to help, but first you need to calm down.

Chill, will you? Nobody is trying to attack you here.
I don't know why do you keep being antagonistic against everyone around you.
You need to calm down and think before you post.

and yet people could still join me before
Because, for the fifth time so far, your network was insecure and allowed everything through.
This has NOTHING to do with a SRB2 update.
Again, you can corroborate this by testing old updates by yourself.

NO SIGN OF MY SERVER
Your server does not show up because your port forwarding role is most likely incorrect. Therefore, the master server is unable to see your server, and as such it will not show it on the server list.
You should quadruple check you did everything right and entered the right values. Check the instructions you've been following, if any, to make sure you've done everything correctly.

See Dylan's post above. That should help.

Last edited:
and yet people could still join me before and hmm funny enough now that i had finally been able to PORT FORWARD hmm why is it im not showing up on the MASTER SERVER LISTING HMM? CAN SOMEONE FUCKING TELL ME HOW THE FUCK WHEN I DID EVERYTHING RIGHT I DID THE UDP PORT 5029 YET OH LOOK STILL NO SIGN OF MY SERVER ON THE MASTER SERVER LISTING MEANING NO ONE CAN SEE MY SERVER TO EVEN JOIN SO BY ALL MEANS EXPLAIN THAT TO ME
A another thing is that. If you want some to answer that, then try to ask nicely and not use cap lock alot

A rude response to a post like this does not help. Just use the report button, please.
There is no way this is a real post by a real human being who decided to write an essay complaining about port forwarding and also sneaking in complaining about the dev team changing and completely ruining the game. This has to be ironic. How do you say the same thing over and over again so many times. No wonder this is an old school fan my man sounds like a 90 year old complaining about women showing their ankles
There's no grammar AT ALL! It's a huge run-on sentence with no end in sight no matter where you start reading-

Also, the username checks out. (sarcasm)
SRB2Veteran
>Joined literally yesterday.

A friendly reminder to all that the correct response to people posting huge rants in all caps is to use the Report button, not to reply in a rude fashion. Rude replies actively make the situation worse and lead to more work moderators must do to clean up.

SRB2Veteran, if you have already followed all of the community port forwarding guides as closely as possible, then you may have no choice but to call your internet service provider for further troubleshooting. This wouldn't be the first time I saw someone forward their ports and still fail to connect, but there's genuinely nothing else we can offer you to help, short of seeing screenshots of how you've set up your ports. If you post some, please post them in the troubleshooting forum, and make sure you cover up any sensitive information.

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.

Who is viewing this thread (Total: 1, Members: 0, Guests: 1)

Back