American Sonic

American Sonic was always the Cool 90s Teenager archetype, as seen in SatAM and AoStH, while Japanese Sonic has always been the Cool-because-he-does-nice-things archetype.

Japanese Sonic’s personality was the basis for Sonic’s personality in Sonic Adventure onwards with a slight hint of the 90s teenager to mix the two together. This has been lost in the games that have came out since Colors where he just makes snarky remarks towards everything (which worked in Colors. It doesn’t in the rest, especially Forces) and he just comes off more as an ignorant a-hole. I’m gonna link a scene from Sonic and the Black Knight that shows what kind of cool Sonic should be. Time stamp is 14:44

Though I've never played Colors (was super poor at the time it came out...Then when money was better, I forgot about it all-together) I can say based off what you've described here of how Sonic acted, it seems like the Sonic movies are taking his more recent personality and using it. Because from what I've seen of the first movie and the trailer for the second, it seems like snarky remarks and jokes is all movie Sonic has to offer. That's kind of sad...Because to me, it just really isn't Sonic.

Though I've never played Colors (was super poor at the time it came out...Then when money was better, I forgot about it all-together) I can say based off what you've described here of how Sonic acted, it seems like the Sonic movies are taking his more recent personality and using it. Because from what I've seen of the first movie and the trailer for the second, it seems like snarky remarks and jokes is all movie Sonic has to offer. That's kind of sad...Because to me, it just really isn't Sonic.
Well, Sonic has always been like that. He spouted snarky remarks in AoStH, SatAM, and Adventure, which were his first three real speaking roles. It's when he's saying nothing but snarky remarks is when it becomes a problem. In the first movie, he's a bit immature because he's always been by himself, but does eventually learn what it actually means to be someone's friend. In the second movie (based on the trailers), it seems like he's trying to learn how to be a proper hero, which is important now because the stakes are high.

Movie Sonic is a combination of the two Cool stereotypes that I mentioned before. He acts like a teenager most of the time because that's what he is, but he's also good natured and tries to do what's best for himself and his close ones

Always found the American design kinda... Weird, something just doesn't feel right about it, I mean yeah you can tell that's sonic but eeehh, don't really like the artstyle much, defs prefer his cute-like japanese design.

Attachments

• db2defee28ef835f5d348264eb891eb6.jpg
    db2defee28ef835f5d348264eb891eb6.jpg
    28.4 KB · Views: 231

Who is viewing this thread (Total: 1, Members: 0, Guests: 1)

Back