• Do not use Works in Progress as a way of avoiding the releases system! Works in Progress can be used for sharing early betas and for getting suggestions for improvement. Releases of finished content are not allowed in this forum! If you would like to submit a finished addon, click here for instructions on how to do so.

Amateur solutions to professional problems: The Pig Mod

ChargingTurnip

Amateur solutions to professional problems
As many of you may know, Pig was featured in the 4th SRB2 Mod Direct. After 3 Directs without ever submitting anything, I finally cobbled something together.

I'm not going to beat around the bush here. I won't be using this thread often. I'll mainly just be using it to post funny or interesting tidbits while I develop possibly the most unconventional mod in years.

Feel free to discuss the mod!

Also, yes, this is indeed inspired by Banjo Kazooie: Nuts & Bolts. It's my favorite out of the series.

srb20782.gif

srb20777.gif

this looks like its gonna be a very interesting and fun mod its refreshing to have a very out there character and i mean i like the recent characters that have come out but this is gonna be a crazy one. i am a little sad that theres no balancing physics or anything like your build has the possibility to tip over but it probably took forever to get all this even working in the first place so its fine. it would probably be cool to not worry about your build tipping over. good luck and have fun this looks fun so far.

@ChargingTurnip I can only say one thing you are a genius to see pigs and their buildings in srb2 I definitely never expected I'm looking forward to you mod
Post automatically merged:

@ChargingTurnip I am interested in one question: will it be possible to just walk for a pig without having a building?

Last edited:
i am a little sad that theres no balancing physics or anything like your build has the possibility to tip over but it probably took forever to get all this even working in the first place so its fine. it would probably be cool to not worry about your build tipping over.
As much as people are calling me a wizard, I am not nearly enough of a wizard to pull off full 3D rotation.

I am interested in one question: will it be possible to just walk for a pig without having a building?
srb21052.png

Anyhow, after a couple of days of conception and bug fixing, I finally got the builder to recognize when a part is disconnected.
No more floating parts!

https://streamable.com/btrplj

what is playing pig like without building anything?
nvm
Pig is slow and cannot jump high. He also dies no matter how many rings you have.
However, rings always stay with you no matter what happens (mainly so that a progression between parts can happen).

Anyways, as of today, these are the currently included parts. Don't fret if you don't see a part you like, there are still a lot more planned parts to be added! (#3 is the seat)
everypigpart_as_of_3_19_2022.png

Don't mind that some parts still have placeholder graphics.

On the development side of things:

Introducing... the Air Tank!

airtankconcept.png

Concept art drawn by DeltaSanic#3501

Coming at a hefty weight of 9 (Wood is 2 for reference), this handy part will extend your lifespan under the water, deep in space, or wherever your oxygen lacks!
Each air tank added to your vehicle will add 15 seconds (subject to change) to your air capacity.

That's all for now.
But the next post might have some more interesting things whenever I get around to coding stuff again!

I personally believe that this is Very cool and poggers, Although i assume this wont work on multiplayer because... PShahaha No way dude, in your dreams.
Also err if there was another player, Id like for them to be able stand on the vehicle because ya,
Also maybe... Just maybe..! You could make a submarine! (/ Spaceship)
I personally think the Airtank Is for Normal vehicles that want to go into the water for a small amount of time,

My idea is for you to be able to seal your Vehicle's openings, (With wood, iron, or glass!)
[Anything that isnt glass would block your vision, But this would ideally have a command to turn off cam collision]
This would make it so you can breathe for much much longer (50 extra seconds at least, 1 minute and 30 seconds at most, Not including airtanks)
BUT would make the vehicle Alot heavier!!

anyways~ Theory tiiime~
By the complexity of this addon... and how it looks somewhat complete in this state...
Id say it will atleast take 1-8 months till its Released

Also making one extra post here, Im assuming this may have a option to make some parts cost Rings.
(Also ps: Could the chaos emeralds Make a Generator thingy that costs rings to operate, But makes everything much faster be a option?)

I personally believe that this is Very cool and poggers, Although i assume this wont work on multiplayer because... PShahaha No way dude, in your dreams.
srb21082.png

Also err if there was another player, Id like for them to be able stand on the vehicle because ya,
Passenger seats are planned.

Also maybe... Just maybe..! You could make a submarine! (/ Spaceship)
I personally think the Airtank Is for Normal vehicles that want to go into the water for a small amount of time,

My idea is for you to be able to seal your Vehicle's openings, (With wood, iron, or glass!)
[Anything that isnt glass would block your vision, But this would ideally have a command to turn off cam collision]
This would make it so you can breathe for much much longer (50 extra seconds at least, 1 minute and 30 seconds at most, Not including airtanks)
BUT would make the vehicle Alot heavier!!
No.
This serves basically no purpose compared to just loading up your vehicle with air tanks.
And that's not even considering the coding nightmare it would be to check for holes and closed spaces.

anyways~ Theory tiiime~
By the complexity of this addon... and how it looks somewhat complete in this state...
Id say it will atleast take 1-8 months till its Released
I only consider myself to be about around 1/4 - 1/3 of the way done.
It's very likely I'll pause on Pig at some point later down the line to finish up another, smaller, project.

Also making one extra post here, Im assuming this may have a option to make some parts cost Rings.
Most parts that serve an important function will cost rings depending on how far along in the game you should get the parts at.
e.g. An electric motor will cost less than a V8 engine.
(Rings always stay with the player, so inevitably you will start to rack up lots of rings when playing through the campaign)

(Also ps: Could the chaos emeralds Make a Generator thingy that costs rings to operate, But makes everything much faster be a option?)
I have plans for chaos emeralds.

Stay tuned.

Last edited:
can you steal other people's vehicles? (like hijacking it or however u word hijack)
if you can it would be funny :shitsfree:

Last edited:
How long did it take to get 1/4 of the mod done?
What ever the amount of time, Ill be happy when it release's.

Buddy... :worry:

Buddy... :worry:
Metal Piggies. Nice.

can you steal other people's vehicles? (like hijacking it or however u word hijack)
if you can it would be funny :shitsfree:
This would require the ability to get out of a vehicle without removing the vehicle itself, which is possible with the current system but would require a whole host of changes and bug fixes (not to mention support with other mod characters when they attempt to do this). As cool of an idea as it sounds, it's simply not worth it, nor is it faithful to the original game.

How long did it take to get 1/4 of the mod done?
What ever the amount of time, Ill be happy when it release's.
1648680645256.png

Only about a month or two, give or take. Pretty proud that I figured out this mod as quickly as I did actually.

Anyways, here's the usual progress update!

1648688291918.png

That's right, sweet and tasty vehicle destruction! While still in its early stages, this is definitely the most FX-heavy part of the mod.
Each part has its own health and can be destroyed independent of the vehicle.
Keep an eye on the health of your seat though (special healthbar for it included). If it gets destroyed, the whole vehicle blows up!

Although less cool, the HUD is also being worked on to fit the original game better, as shown in the concept below.

unknown.png

(Subject to change. Lots and lots of change)

Shown in the last progress update, here is the Air Tank in-game! Obviously not working yet as shown by the less-than-subtle text.

srb21107.png

(Still subject to change. Infact, I want to remake the graphics soon)

There's still lots more work that needs to be done, and more content to add.
So as always, that's all for now!

This would require the ability to get out of a vehicle without removing the vehicle itself, which is possible with the current system but would require a whole host of changes and bug fixes (not to mention support with other mod characters when they attempt to do this). As cool of an idea as it sounds, it's simply not worth it, nor is it faithful to the original game.

View attachment 65992
Only about a month or two, give or take. Pretty proud that I figured out this mod as quickly as I did actually.

Anyways, here's the usual progress update!

View attachment 66013

That's right, sweet and tasty vehicle destruction! While still in its early stages, this is definitely the most FX-heavy part of the mod.
Each part has its own health and can be destroyed independent of the vehicle.
Keep an eye on the health of your seat though (special healthbar for it included). If it gets destroyed, the whole vehicle blows up!

Although less cool, the HUD is also being worked on to fit the original game better, as shown in the concept below.

unknown.png

(Subject to change. Lots and lots of change)

Shown in the last progress update, here is the Air Tank in-game! Obviously not working yet as shown by the less-than-subtle text.

View attachment 66016
(Still subject to change. Infact, I want to remake the graphics soon)

There's still lots more work that needs to be done, and more content to add.
So as always, that's all for now!
reading this, I am more and more amazed at how cool you are)

View attachment 65992
Mmm so at that rate-- at 1/4 it might take you around 3.5 months~ at minimum, But... Well- This is a Really big mod, So it will prob take 5 months, And thats pretty soon im my book, Your doin grate :)

Also i like the vheicle distrolcun, Would be cool if you could see each part's health [toggleable in commands, off by default]
But... I just want to ask two questions.
Will you replace boss stage's or will you find a way to keep them?
How will 2d handle? Flatten? Make new vehicle for 2d? Or maybe have some parts phase thru Some walls?
Which ever you choose... It will be alright. :)
This mod is going to be great.

Last edited:

Who is viewing this thread (Total: 1, Members: 0, Guests: 1)

Back