• Do not use Works in Progress as a way of avoiding the releases system! Works in Progress can be used for sharing early betas and for getting suggestions for improvement. Releases of finished content are not allowed in this forum! If you would like to submit a finished addon, click here for instructions on how to do so.

Adventure Sonic (SA-Sonic) Progress

Status
Not open for further replies.
That a real thing anybody actually wants? 'cause I can shoehorn it in. (SA-Sonic doesn't have any shield abilities other than the Whirlwind Shield saving him from death pits once, so it's not really invalidating anything)

Update! Things are going well!

Lua-wise, I'm about 90% done on Base Sonic, and 75% done on Super Sonic. Currently messing with effects and some small control tweaks. Still careful with what I can show, but here, have some GIFs in action! (Super Sonic sprites obviously not done yet)

srb20906.gif

SA-Sonic in motion! One of these days you'll see him jump and use his actual moves, I promise. :P

srb20898.gif

Deaths have unique animations. In fact, fall into the space+earth skybox and you'll even catch fire.

srb20913.gif

Trolololololo--hohohohoho. Switch between SA2 and SA1's Super Sonic playstyles any time!

srb20880.gif

Definitely not a placeholder death sprite.
This means i can toggle which super play style i like best? NANI?!:ohsnap:

Was just looking through the pages for this.
Is super sonic just gonna have the same exact moves as base sonic just more powerful and faster?
His encouraged playstyle is completely different from Base Sonic's. It's not a "2x jumpfactor & normalspeed" deal.

That said, we didn't want him to ever feel like a downgrade, so he can access all of his old moves. Sometimes with extra flare or twists. We'll get into that when we get into it.

I wonder how he will compete with DC Sonic in terms of speed and vertical mobility
From what I've tested so far, DC-Sonic's more floaty and more capable of "double-jumping" over stuff, SA-Sonic's faster/snappier on the ground but needs to use the environment more to get around. But especially DC-Sonic's still early in development playstyle-wise.

So super's sprites are the only thing that need to be finished?
There are 95 Super Sonic sprites left. Metal DOES want to do some touch-ups to Base Sonic as well, maybe do some extra sprites.

Seems kinda pointless but that's just me
From the perspective of a new SRB2 player, they might not have Custom 3 set up or assume it's spin to transform. This animation only plays once per game boot-up, so it won't be too intrusive.

C3 shows up at the bottom left when Super Sonic's ready! If you bounce, it'll have a little disappearing animation. Both because you can't transform while bouncing, but also to draw the player's eyes to it if they're mashing spin to transform.
srb20449.gif

With all 7 Chaos Emeralds, you harness the power of wishes from across the world! Witness Super Sonic power!
srb20453.gif

His encouraged playstyle is completely different from Base Sonic's. It's not a "2x jumpfactor & normalspeed" deal.

That said, we didn't want him to ever feel like a downgrade, so he can access all of his old moves. Sometimes with extra flare or twists. We'll get into that when we get into it.

From what I've tested so far, DC-Sonic's more floaty and more capable of "double-jumping" over stuff, SA-Sonic's faster/snappier on the ground but needs to use the environment more to get around. But especially DC-Sonic's still early in development playstyle-wise.

There are 95 Super Sonic sprites left. Metal DOES want to do some touch-ups to Base Sonic as well, maybe do some extra sprites.

From the perspective of a new SRB2 player, they might not have Custom 3 set up or assume it's spin to transform. This animation only plays once per game boot-up, so it won't be too intrusive.

C3 shows up at the bottom left when Super Sonic's ready! If you bounce, it'll have a little disappearing animation. Both because you can't transform while bouncing, but also to draw the player's eyes to it if they're mashing spin to transform.
srb20449.gif

With all 7 Chaos Emeralds, you harness the power of wishes from across the world! Witness Super Sonic power!
srb20453.gif
Cool effects but im a little worried for low end devices and the stability of netgames, unless there's a way to turn it down at the very least

You see, SA-Sonic is SO POWERFUL, that he requires not just the chaos emeralds, no, he requires the SUPER EMERALDS to go super.
S3&k tails moment
Tails required the super emeralds to turn super while sonic and knuckles did not they could use the chaos emeralds to turn super and go hyper with the super emeralds also those are the chaos emeralds in there modern design and not their classic design
Post automatically merged:

Wait why are there more guests than members viewing this thread AAAAAAaaaAAAAAAaaa

You see, SA-Sonic is SO POWERFUL, that he requires not just the chaos emeralds, no, he requires the SUPER EMERALDS to go super.
The emeralds were pretty big in SA2 during the super transformation scene, and I just rendered the model with the same camera I used for my Sonic references, and it was the same size as the Sonic 3 master emerald by chance so I ended up cleaning up that master emerald sprite for SA-Sonic.

I just asked Shine to scale them down a bit, since in the Adventure 2 cutscene, the models seem to get scaled down a bit, and the emeralds end up about as big as Sonic's head, whereas here it's half his entire body.

Things sometimes need tweaks, and that's just game dev. :)

Here's the GIF of the lowered scale to make them a bit more size appropriate:
srb20457.gif

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.

Who is viewing this thread (Total: 1, Members: 0, Guests: 1)

Back