A new project: GameStar

Status
Not open for further replies.

Sik

Is true that programs like Game Maker, TGF and MMF sucks if you don't know to control them well or you haven't enough imagination for simulate things that are not possible with it. Plus, they're paid, and normally for Windows only.

My idea? Make a program like them, but better in all the aspects. OK, I think that in a final result it'll suck like them, but at least it'll be free, open source and portable, which can make a big difference in some cases (specially for users who don't want to pay for the program and for non-Windows users). What do you think?

I don't need explications about C++, because Sonic Action is in C++ (CDiv only change some things of C++, and really I don't use CDiv anymore, and Sonic Action uses CDiv because it was originally in CDiv, is more: it's my LAST game using CDiv, and remembering that I hacked the CDiv's core, it's almost C++).

GameStar is for people who don't want to learn to program, with the same objectives that TGF, MMF or Game Maker: make games without programming. And C++ is programming. Or how do you think that I'll make GameStar? I'll be the senior programmer.

I need help about the GUI. No: it's not to develop it. I just need ideas. Really, the only thing which I did looked more a DOS enviroment than a GUI. :P

Post your ideas here and I'll select the best. The guy/girl who made it'll appear in the Credits screen/dialog/window/whatever it'll be. ;)

And about how it'll work, I've planned some sections; of course they aren't all the sections, only some of them, the ones which I planned, GameStar must have more:

• Items editor: edit all the objects (called "items" in GameStar) used in game: players, enemies, shields, coins, etc.
  • Levels editor: create the levels. Note that it's only for levels: things like title screen and others aren't edited from here, unlike Game Maker.
  • Bitmaps editor: manage the bitmaps. Note that a bitmap editor is integrated in it, thing which other programs doesn't have. :)
  • Sounds / Musics editor: the analog of the previous section, but for sounds and background musics, respectively.

And the title screen editor, menus editor and credits editor which are self-explanatory. GameStar'll have more, and surely I'm forgotting some sections which I've planed.

This first versions is only for 2D, but when it comes a good 2D game editor, we'll go for 3D. Well, we can do 3D now, but 2D is the priority now. You must know a thing: there is not object limit in anyway, which in TGF and MMF is sometimes a problem (as far as I know, they have a limit). All this + GameStar is free + something more to explain yet (like engines) = Very acceptable.

Omega the Hedgehog said:
MMF doesn't have an object limit...
I've heard that it has 300 as default limit. Default, yeah, but a limit. Unless I'm talking about an old version. However, beign GameStar free, open source and portable makes a difference yet.

But, now I need ideas for the GUI. Yeah, I don't know how will look it yet :P The only thing that I know is the mouse which is the classic white arrow of all the life (and if you don't believe me, I have trained a lot for imitate it at the perfection, see the ASCII art below).

Code:
X
XX
X X
X  X
X   X
X    X
X     X
X      X
X       X
X        X
X     XXXXX
X  X  X
X X X  X
XX  X  X
X    X  X
     X  X
      X  X
      X  X
       XX

And unless you're a particle effect-happy person like I am, I doubt you'd ever reach that limit.

You know, you really should gear this project towards Sonic games, Sik...

I always thought someone would have done this before, but it seems to be It happened here at the SRB2 board.
Ihope thhis goes wll as it develops. Man, if I knew how to program, I would do all sorts of Sickening things, and I could help alot.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Who is viewing this thread (Total: 1, Members: 0, Guests: 1)

Back