A narrow escape.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Sonic Destiny

dealer of Retribution.
Wow, earlier today, i was browsing around on google for a new wallpaper.
I happened to type in Code Geass because i like that Anime, but i clicked on the picture i wanted and it said i need to install a codec.

Naturally no idiotic fool would click this, so i left the room to go to the bathroom and talk to my mom, and eat the dinner i helped her make.

Then i walk back in the room and sit down in front of the computer and i ignore the codec save file pop up.

I go to click my google toolbar and right before i do, the save file pops up again, and i accidentally click save.

I just got a new ISP so my downloading is considerably faster, and it downloaded the so called "codec" in a flash.

So its starting installing on its own and mcaffee kept warning me to block changes, so naturally i did.

Later on i notice my task manager was disabled and my virus protection was waning, so i scanned for virusses...... No viruses found, i got really freaked about because this is a brand new computer my mom bought for me 4 weeks ago, so i tried to find system restore and it had dissapeared, so i had to go into the registry of my computer, and go to system, policies "blah blah blah" And change the value for the task manager disablity.

I did that and the 3rd party program was still active, so i looked around for a bit and i remember the directory system restore was in, and i used it, and luckily the 3rd party program was relinquished, and my computer is working fine now.

Now i just updated everything, and now its back to normal and im typing you guys this long story that probably nobody will care about or reply to.

^_^ im just happy my mom didnt ground me.

P.s. (Im 14 i can be grounded)

I know that "oh crap a virus" feeling. Just after reading your post I even got that "phew" feeling afterward. Glad to see everything is okay.

1.) Dude if you want a code geass fan club go to adult swim.com register it's free and then go to The Code Geass Section (i'm tempbanned from the forums) and go to Order of the Black Knights Unite! tell them MechaAshura Sent you and 2.) It sucked when i was 14 too

Ice said:
I know that "oh crap a virus" feeling. Just after reading your post I even got that "phew" feeling afterward. Glad to see everything is okay.
Glad to see you care. ^.^

Anyways, that "oh crap a virus" feeling, doesnt it feel like your heart beats faster, or like your heart just like.... drops? I dont know, but if you know it like i do, its a frantic fealing.

NeoJames said:
Man, I love having a Mac...

...Let the tomato throwing commence. =|

I have an XP, and I don't think my laptop has gotten attacked by a virus since any of these two/some years.

Gotta love AVG and Firefox.

We just yesterday got attacked by Antivirus XP 2008. avast! had trouble getting rid of it...until I terminated AXP2008 in Task Manager, lol. Then avast! simply removed the program with little effort.

My PC hasn't been infected, period. It's my sister that always get them. Had to use a registry editor boot disk to remove the entries in the registry, because it kept on readding them in XP.

The last time my computer was trashed by viruses/Trojans was back around 2001-2002, which was two computers ago. Now I only install software from reliable sources (which isn't an issue for me - most of the time I only browse clean sites anyway). The only harmful badware I've gotten recently was on my laptop, which came in the form of several Trojans in EXE and DLL format, injected into my temporary folder through an exploit. Except that they were never actually executed. Strange that a zombie computer would want to send thirty copies of the same program to mine without actually running any of them.

By the way, you should look into getting the K-Lite Codec Pack. It's pretty much a worry-free installation and includes all the codecs you will ever need, including subtitles and H.263.

MechaAshura said:

Yeah, there's an AIM field in your profile for a reason...

I haven't had a virus in years, as with most it's my sister that gets the viruses, the laptop she uses is piled up with them and I just cleared her old laptop (hand-me-down) and Linux'd it since she never uses it. She currently spends most of her time installing all sorts of crap on my mum's laptop. >_>

But no, I myself haven't had a virus in a very long time, hell, I can't actually remember the last time I had one. O.o

MechaAshura said:
So True... I'm sorry But can I still post the Tails Doll
Probably not. Just blank out the entire post. It doesn't have anything to do with the topic. Neither do your "i has an AIM" posts.

To be honest, if anyone cared that you have AIM, then they'd add you if you put your AIM handle in your profile. If anything, spamming topics by saying "ADD ME" would actually get LESS people to add you.

I have had a virus before, but thankfully it was rather harmless. The computer in question was the worst piece of junk I have ever had the misfortune to use, and had a terrible antivirus that required subscription to use but came free with the computer: we were never given the username or password to the account, so we couldn't update it. Eventually I was "Eh, what the heck", got AVG free, ran a scan and bam! Removed virus.

Computer was still slow as heck and now it gathers dust in the corner of my room. :D

Though an odd case was my first desktop. No antivirus, Windows 98SE... it never had a virus. Maybe the slow dial up connection couldn't finish the downloads before I quit. :P Or maybe I was just careful on websites.

FoxBlitzz said:
The last time my computer was trashed by viruses/Trojans was back around 2001-2002, which was two computers ago. Now I only install software from reliable sources (which isn't an issue for me - most of the time I only browse clean sites anyway). The only harmful badware I've gotten recently was on my laptop, which came in the form of several Trojans in EXE and DLL format, injected into my temporary folder through an exploit. Except that they were never actually executed. Strange that a zombie computer would want to send thirty copies of the same program to mine without actually running any of them.

By the way, you should look into getting the K-Lite Codec Pack. It's pretty much a worry-free installation and includes all the codecs you will ever need, including subtitles and H.263.
I have a question FoxBlitzz, what exact virus protection do you use for your computer.
Because the only reason i had mcafee is because i dont have a lot of RAM and the Norton 360 i had before devoured my RAM.

Agh, I got tricked by antivirus >.>

My computer was giving me pop-ups to download a certain anti-virus program (IE antivirus), andI downloaded it 'cause It kept annoying me. when I used it, it actually opened up harmful sites, and wouldn't let me close them. McAfee {sp?} Neutralized it, but believe it or not, It's still on my computer doing no harm.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Who is viewing this thread (Total: 1, Members: 0, Guests: 1)

Back