A map map making... exe... God, I forgot it's name... (It was Maptosvg)

Status
Not open for further replies.

Espyo

I'm really sorry for creating a topic just to have one question answered, and sorry I couldn't be any more helpful in the topic title.
A while ago, someone (IIRC, an admin/mod) created an exe that, once you entered a wad file, it would create a vectorial image with an upside view of the chosen map, with the floors covered with textures.
I completely forgot the program's name, and even what it did for sure. And before the inevitable "Use the Search button.", I did, but I wasn't 100% sure of what to search for, so I typed "textures" and searched everything. I'm also not sure if it has even been posted on the forums.

Can someone tell me what that program was named? God, I feel like a N00b right now...

Last edited:
Oh yeah, Digiku made that a couple years ago. It was called "Doom Map -> Graphic Converter" (or Maptosvg for short).

Here's a link to the original topic.

Bingo! Maptosvg. The name was really 50% of what I wanted. But... as everyone is saying, the link is down, so it really doesn't help. But if I can find a previous version uploaded somewhere... At least now I know the name! Geesh.

Yeah, it's MAP2SVG or something like that, and BlueZero4 has the download!

What it does is that it takes a wadfile and Map #, then outputs your top-down graphical map either to PNG, or this vector graphics format called SVG. It's a really cool thing, but it really just works on simple maps. It might work on complicated maps, but it tends to screw up. Whether your map qualifies or not is trial and error :)

Protip: The program will *look* like it freezes, but it's really just working. IIRC, after a few seconds, there should be a text console telling you what exactly the program is doing. If the same text is looping again and again, that's a bug telling you to CTRL+ALT+DEL and kill the program. It'll do that on bigger maps.

------------

EDIT: This works just for 1.09.4 maps. I mean, it'll map out 1.1 maps, but the special features like water translucency and FOF sorting won't work since the map special #s changed. You could fix that yourself in the PHP code, actually. (Yes, it's written in PHP!)

Last edited:
All I really wanted in this topic was just to figure out the name of the program. But we actually received the download! Thanks, BlueZero!
It only works on 1.09.4 you say... I wish I knew PHP. If it were C... But that's ok.
Ok, so "problem" solved... What's the future for this topic?

Doesn't SRB2DB's "Export Map" feature do the same thing? What's the difference between that and this program?

You're thinking of "Export Picture". Well, that function does save a map, but only the lines, things, etc. MapToSVG actually paints the sectors with their flat. And as a plus, it saves as SVG!

Oh yeah, about the flats, you'll have to change all the flat names too if you wanted to do that :P It's "hardcoded" to 1.09.4's flat names (but if you knew PHP...)

I don't recall if SRB2DB is written in VB or C, but I bet you could modify it to fill the sector shapes with its flat. Or you could fill in the sector shapes using a program like Photoshop, which does fill-by-image

Manually filling a picture can also indeed work. But thinking about it, it would be best if SRB2DB did it on the spot, seeing that the textures would need to be exported to be able to use them in an image manipulation program.

And if I choose programming that method... It won't be for now. I have a good programming mind, but that's for the basic/medium problems. I have yet to program something that manipulates files and such. I'll learn that at my University classes, so...

Status
Not open for further replies.

Who is viewing this thread (Total: 1, Members: 0, Guests: 1)

Back