A little help here on a skin I'm makin'

Status
Not open for further replies.

Shadow Hog

The great thing about porting sprites over from an already-3D game is that you don't have to DRAW the sprites yourself. This is what led me to create the majority of a Sonic Schoolhouse Sonic skin in the entirity of an afternoon. Yeah, you heard correctly. Schoolhouse Sonic. Of the whole "WHERE IS YOUR GOD NOW?!!" kind of thing. Or maybe that was The Burger King. I dunno.

But anyway, this topic is in Suggestions and Help instead of Editing or General Disscussion, which must mean something's up. And yes, something is INDEED up. The sky, for one thing, but that's not what this topic concerns. No, it seems that, for reasons beyond my comprehension, the game sigsegvs whenever my skin kills an enemy. Oh, the huge manatee.

Which is where this message board comes in. I'm providing a download of the WAD so we can figure out what's causing it. Don't worry, it's not particularly evil right now - I've yet to toss in any sound clips or anything. It IS freakin' huge, though, mainly because I'd not shrunk the images before loading them in, and I had failed to realize just how large that would make Sonic look. Let's put it this way - Sonic's as big as a freakin' Cyberdemon. Yes, you read correctly - a freakin' Cyberdemon. If there's a way to have hi-resolution skins, a la ZDOOM, I'd love to know about it NOW, before I waste time shrinking images; otherwise, to Photoshop it is.

Still, enough talk. The problematic WAD!

http://mywebpages.comcast.net/shadowwing/misc/schoolhousesonic.zip (1.3 MB or so - this is actually not problematic anymore, and is more a release candidate)

Can you believe all that is really just 21 frames? Needless to say, it's rather under-animated, but, eh, that's what I had to work with. It's all part of the humor, though, which won't really mean anything until I get the sounds loaded. Also, since I don't know of anything better, I've made the menu selection assume you have Shadow and Amy loaded already. Probably a mistake, but until I know of a better way to go about adding my character to the menu without compromising their usability, that's how it'll be.

And... well, that's all I can think of right now.

You can make stuff Hi resolution by making an SOC that makes the player MF_HIRES.
I'd explain it, but I don't know how to do it without the soc editor, so here ya' go..

Code:
Thing 0
MAPTHINGNUM = -1
SPAWNSTATE = 2
SPAWNHEALTH = 1
SEESTATE = 5
SEESOUND = 0
REACTIONTIME = 0
ATTACKSOUND = 27
PAINSTATE = 34
PAINCHANCE = 71
PAINSOUND = 0
MELEESTATE = 0
MISSILESTATE = 13
DEATHSTATE = 35
DEATHSOUND = 0
XDEATHSTATE = 35
SPEED = 0
RADIUS = 1048576
HEIGHT = 3670016
MASS = 1000
DAMAGE = 71
ACTIVESOUND = 131
RAISESTATE = 71
FLAGS = 524294
Just copy that into a text file and rename it .soc and load it up into the game, that should do the trick..
Edit: Wow, he's still stupidly huge with the HIRES thing. x_X

Yeah.

Odd, it doesn't sigsegv when it hits an enemy for me.. instead, it sigsegvs when you get past the first row of rings in GFZ1. o.o;

Actually, that was where I was encountering the problem, too. I was assuming that that was because I hit the Crawla there, like I usually do. Obviously, I must be mistaken.

And I'd prefer it if I could get hi-res on this one skin only. Doesn't do me much good if the other skins become teensy as a result.

I'm pretty sure there's no way to make just one skin HIRES..

..you could make the rest of the characters bigger. :P

Just add

hires=1

to your S_SKIN file.

Apparently there's a problem with it saving the hires flag after you die, but that should be fixed for 1.09.1.

Speaking of huge skins.

As you can see, I somehow got the springfall sprite mixed up with the standing sprites. Too lazy to fix it. And yeah, it's freakin' huge. If someone feels like fixing it or something, go ahead and ask for the wad, but I'm done with it.

I was hoping they wouldn't be so blatantly visible. Of course, this wasn't the case, considering that everything came out wrong.

Really, what bothers me is it's walking/running animations. Most wads have running animations composed of about 8 frames. This one repeats 2 frames 4 times, so it looks a lot more unnatural than I thought it would.

Hey, MY WAD only has three walking frames repeated a few times. In fact, I had three of just about every animation (which is why the spinning animation looks so funny); debatably, less to work with.

SSNTails said:
Just add

hires=1

to your S_SKIN file.

Apparently there's a problem with it saving the hires flag after you die, but that should be fixed for 1.09.1.
hires.png

In other news, I added the sound lumps into the WAD, bumping the size up to 2.3-something MB. You'll be floored at how awful his voice is, and yet EVERYTHING I used (barring a clip from "The Answer" by Shoutaro Morikubo, or that song from Rockman X6) came right from the CD. I'll upload it sooner or later.

Yeah, that seemed to work. It looks positively awful in splitscreen, though. His position isn't calculated correctly or something, meaning that, depending on your angle, he could be flying in the air, digging through the ground, or what have you. No idea if this is a problem in not-splitscreen, though. Will place in Bug Reports later.

All the sounds seem to work perfectly now, although I've yet to test my DSTINK replacement. I've also noticed that the deep shade of blue in the darker regions of his spines do NOT change colors, which doesn't exactly look too cool. I suppose it's no biggie, though. After all, our current Knux skin doesn't look quite right when his color's changed, either.

And the game STILL crashes in GFZ1. I'm going to try and remove the S_START and S_END lumps around the 1Up sprites, to see if that helps any.

EDIT: It does. You can now make your way through the stage at one's will. The catch, though, is that the 1-Up sprite is now thoroughly messed up for our Schoolhouse friend here; the monitor being flipped to is actually the 200-point sprite. Busting the monitor sigsegvs.

Weird. I think I should release the WAD anyway, but remove the custom 1-Up box until I can get the bloody thing to work. But not until I try one more thing...

Does the highres flag not work ONLY when you respawn at a starpost?

No, it looks big pretty much the whole time, IIRC. I've updated the WAD in the first post, so go ahead and try it for yourself.

I did, and I only got the big sonic when I respawned at a starpost, and not the start of the level...

In 1.09, hires is only checked when you change to a skin. In 1.09.1, it is also checked in coopspawnplayer, I believe. (That is, unless you added it to spawnstarpostplayer already)
And I get confused about hires and highres too. :S

Status
Not open for further replies.

Who is viewing this thread (Total: 1, Members: 0, Guests: 1)

Back