A Couple Map Editing Questions

Status
Not open for further replies.

Sprocket

Hi everybody,

I'm new here to the forums, and new to map making. I'm having a couple problems..

1. When I try to create a big sector in SRB2DB just inside the red border, I get an "overflow" error. I have to back off about 10,000 units from the border on all sides, but even then, I get graphical glitches in-game unless I run it in OpenGL. I know I can create multiple smaller sectors and link them together, but for the thok barrier, don't I need one big sector surrounding everything?

2. Is there any possible way to make diagonal vertical lines in this engine? I'm talking slanted roofs, curvy hillsides, etc. One thing that comes to mind is to make those pieces externally and just use the models as part of the landscape. Would that work? And is there any other way to do it? Preferably in a map editor?

Thanks for your help in advance.. and I'll thank you afterward too :)

Um, you can TRY to make it around everything, but that overflow error definately won't let you. I'd suggest making it big enough so that you can work with it. When you need it bigger, feel free to make it move one of the linedefs. Thok barriers are just normal sectors, linedefs, and vertices, you know.

SRB2, being based off Doom Legacy, has no slope support. While I suppose it's entirely possible to add in models, keep in mind that not everyone plays in OpenGL, and not everyone knows how to run OpenGL. That being said, SRB2 can't really make the player clip accurately with the model. The house would be essentially a cylinder as far as the player is concerned.

Thank you Blue. Csmgiw, just because you don't know me, that doesn't mean I'm some sort of inferior life form

Blue, do you know anything about the graphical glitches in big open maps run in software mode? It acts like there are missing textures even though there aren't. My vision is to create a big open field where you could basically just run to your heart's content :) But there seem to be hindrances everywhere.. Okay, for now let's just assume that I've accepted that I have to run it in OpenGL to avoid the graphical glitches.. could I maybe use a different editor or maybe even edit maps by hand to make them bigger?

Software is really bad when it comes to drawing big areas. Try to keep the maximum drawing limit under 16000 units.

Also, you're limited to a 32k x 32k area with SRB2, currently, so keep that in mind as well.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Who is viewing this thread (Total: 1, Members: 0, Guests: 1)

Back