2D Mode vs. Enabled 2D Mode

Status
Not open for further replies.

TheDoctor

Not sure if this was intentional, but I've compared 2D mode (through MAINCFG), to Enabled 2D mode (through linedef 432), and the results are quite different in terms of player stats. When in regular 2d mode, the player's action speed is dumbed down, as well as normal speed, but in enabled 2d mode, the player stats remain the same. This may seem like nothing, however it is a very important one when talking about large 2d level parts that require platforming skills. The reason why I bring this up, is because enabling 3d mode in a 2D level is only possible if the 2d enabler had been used in the first place.

(Also, side note, the previous topic that I made informing about the slime trail in ERC, yeah, easily fixed by simply moving the vertex to one position, then replacing it in its original spot. This is a better solution then simply saying "blame nodebuilders".)

How does a level which enables 2d mode after some time(or where you start in 2d, then go to 3d and then switch again to 2d work ? Does that use the enabled 2d mode ?
Looks like a bug to me, it would be very strange if you had half and normal speed sometimes.

Yeah, the 2D Typeoflevel is *permanent* 2D, that's not changing.

The exclusive change of stats for the 2D TOL though, I believe that's intentional? Correct me if I'm wrong here. IMO it'd be a bit weird to see the player not go as fast in a 2D section of a level, and then suddenly return to full speed for 3D again.

Well, for the level that I am using it in, it will be a teleport that leads into a 3d mach speed part, so the teleport easier the player into 3d rather than a random switch.

To show a comparison between the 2d type and enabled 2d, gifs:

TypeOfLevel:

http://www.gfycat.com/ScholarlyUnitedBluegill#

Enabled 2D:

http://www.gfycat.com/EnragedGrippingGrebe

(No idea if those links work, but if they do);

you can see the huge difference between their stats. Enabled 2D mode has almost impossible controls due to it's buff speed.

You have the two links in the wrong places, and... well, that is rather fast. Infact, I dare say having a trigger to adjust stats with lua would be a somewhat wise move, but I don't know how much you know about lua.

What do you mean links in the wrong place?

And I know only very, very basic editing of Lua scripts. I can understand it while reading it, but no idea how to form one.

The incredibly fast movement is under the TypeOfLevel, while the decent speed is under Enabled 2D... its backwards.

The incredibly fast movement is under the TypeOfLevel, while the decent speed is under Enabled 2D... its backwards.

No, that's how it is. 2d mode in the maincfg nerfs down the player's stats, enabled 2d mode carries out the regular stats, which evidently are too fast for 2d mode.

He's saying you have the gifs mixed up. Your "Enabled 2D" gif is showing Sonic moving slower, and vice versa.

The slower 2D mode was a separate typeoflevel used for SRB1 mode. It was merged with the 2D typeoflevel in 2.1. I assume the toggled 2D mode not being changed alongside it is intentional since it would be rather jarring to have your character's handling adjusted in the middle of the map.

@sonic1000000000000000 orite. I just realized my mistake. Oh well, you get the point.

@Kitkat that I now understand, but is there a way to counteract this and have the player's stats modified during the enabled 2d mode? My map will have a clean transition from 2d to 3d mode, so control adjustment isn't something to worry about.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Who is viewing this thread (Total: 1, Members: 0, Guests: 1)

Back