2.2.12 discussion

pompom454

Uses a Wii, Fire Kindle, and Dell Latitude E6410.
Before 2.2.12 comes out (which will be some time), what ideas do you guys have? Mine would be automatic add-on updating, and if you don't want to update the add-on would be an option. Express your opinion!

Before 2.2.12 comes out (which will be some time), what ideas do you guys have? Mine would be automatic add-on updating, and if you don't want to update the add-on would be an option. Express your opinion!
I kinda don't know, though just saying that there is a v2.2.12 pre-1. Meaning it's possible that you might notice these changes throughout v2.2.12 pre-1 anyway, even though that's the real thing anyway. But it's only at discord on there discussion, which is the hole point of trying a pre-version.

I kinda don't know, though just saying that there is a v2.2.12 pre-1. Meaning it's possible that you might notice these changes throughout v2.2.12 pre-1 anyway, even though that's the real thing anyway. But it's only at discord on there discussion, which is the hole point of trying a pre-version.
What I mean is what ideas do people have if 2.2.12 comes out.

what ideas do you guys have? Mine would be automatic add-on updating, and if you don't want to update the add-on would be an option.
I've suggested a feature like this get added to SRB2 in the past, specifically in regards to being a feature on an official launcher. However, I have since realized that such a thing would require a server to store the updates on, and therefore would be an extra cost the team would have to pay for that is totally unnecessary since you can easily just grab the updates on the main website anyway.

Therefore, what I think might be a better idea is an official launcher that can display official announcements from the MB so that when a new update is out, users can be notified of the update. Additionally, this would clue in people who don't already know that the forums exist. Or, as an alternative it could display announcements from a particular channel on the Discord dedicated to it.

An official launcher would be useful and convenient in other ways too such as having a quick and easy way to load addons, quickly and easily loading straight into netgames, tweaking settings before launching the game, etc. There are already community launchers that do such things anyway, but I feel like it's a convenience that the game really should come with as part of the default package.

I've suggested a feature like this get added to SRB2 in the past, specifically in regards to being a feature on an official launcher. However, I have since realized that such a thing would require a server to store the updates on, and therefore would be an extra cost the team would have to pay for that is totally unnecessary since you can easily just grab the updates on the main website anyway.

Therefore, what I think might be a better idea is an official launcher that can display official announcements from the MB so that when a new update is out, users can be notified of the update. Additionally, this would clue in people who don't already know that the forums exist. Or, as an alternative it could display announcements from a particular channel on the Discord dedicated to it.

An official launcher would be useful and convenient in other ways too such as having a quick and easy way to load addons, quickly and easily loading straight into netgames, tweaking settings before launching the game, etc. There are already community launchers that do such things anyway, but I feel like it's a convenience that the game really should come with as part of the default package.
Ideas for add-ons are actually don't count as an idea but the launcher idea (for SRB2) does count.

Ideas for add-ons are actually don't count as an idea but the launcher idea (for SRB2) does count.
I didn't suggest anything regarding add-ons. I suggested a feature for the launcher I was proposing to be able to load add-ons with it, something that most (if not all) community launchers already include as a basic feature.

I've think I've heard this feature be requested and rejected before, so let me put it in simple terms. Checking for addon updates requires more server space, which costs more money to maintain a feature for game that's free with no funding. This feature makes no sense if you're involved in the community, as most (if not all) mods make it very obvious when they update. Unless you're extremely lazy it's a baseless feature for people who can't be attentive.

It's not hard to check a mod page occasionally for a mod you have installed, plus it shows your support for the mod creator!

Who is viewing this thread (Total: 1, Members: 0, Guests: 1)

Back