2.1 Question

Status
Not open for further replies.
I've been gone from the srb2 community for awhile, (been playing minecraft :) ) and i was wondering. Is there any reports or speculations on when 2.1 is coming out. It's been about a year (or two) since the last update. (I'm not complaining) I wonder if stjr should release a smaller version, kind of to pre-release what they have already.

Content-wise, there is enough stuff for a release. The problem is that netplay is currently broken and that has to be fixed before 2.1 can be released. That's also why a pre-release wouldn't work.

Also I think that Mystic,Spazzo, and LoganA hosted in 2.1 to do tests with the netcode.And Im still thinking that 2.1 will be released AFTER the May/June 2012 OLDC.

Also I think that Mystic,Spazzo, and LoganA hosted in 2.1 to do tests with the netcode.And Im still thinking that 2.1 will be released AFTER the May/June 2012 OLDC.
Ehm, not to intentionally open up any old wounds, but Spazzo's been off the team for a good while now.

I think, like me, Spazzo does not play netgames anymore. It's probably an impostor.

Yeah, it could have been an imposter, I would've found it hard to believe if he did somehow, sit on the computer and just played netgames again.

There were already a vast array of netcode errors in 2.0.6. There's a lot of workarounds being done to some problems, or some problems that make the function not work at all! Like the Consfail protection is sliced through completely when the networking fusses up at the beginning of the game, or the downloads halting and timing out often, or even the rather ethereal unknown net command errors. There's a lot of errors out there in the code that already was, and they need to fix that on top of the bugs that happened from reworking the game. They obviously have the content all cleaned up, as shown by the preview shots in single-player, and the levels previously found in this topic right here. By looking at all of this, it shouldn't be too much longer. Don't worry though, it's bound to be released, just be patient!

Last edited:
There's a lot of errors out there in the code that already was, and they need to fix that on top of the bugs that happened from reworking the game.
I don't think they're fixing the netplay bugs that are already in 2.0.6. Well, maybe they fixed some of them over the course of the last three years, but that's individual of the issues that are holding 2.1 up.

I don't think they're fixing the netplay bugs that are already in 2.0.6. Well, maybe they fixed some of them over the course of the last three years, but that's individual of the issues that are holding 2.1 up.
We're not. Additions in 2.1 have broken the netcode even FURTHER from the already crappy 2.0.6 version. A lot of people here probably aren't old enough to remember, but 1.09.X and 2.0.X's netcode being stable at all is a feature that required a lot of effort on our part to get working. Back in like, Demo 4, it was a miracle if the netcode worked at all =P

I don't see why people are so impatient for 2.1 once it comes out we will miss the 2.0s like we miss 1094 right now.

Funnily enough, I think 'we' don't miss 1.09.4 at all. I certainly don't, at least.

Indeed, Spherallic. The only reason I can imagine people missing 1.09.4 is the custom levels, but those can just be ported over.

I really think you're wrong on that. Most people here, myself included, have fond memories of playing on older versions of SRB2, 1.09.4 included. How could we not? That version was current for years. However, you'd be wrong saying that most people prefer the older version instead of just having fond memories of it.

It's a common fallacy to think that because you have an opinion and you talk to a bunch of other people that think similarly to you that the overall majority of people agree with you. You're experiencing what's called a sampling bias. As an example, let's say you're holding a poll on who's better, Mario or Sonic. If you go hold that poll on a Sonic forum, you're likely to get results that say that Sonic is better. If you hold that poll on a Mario forum, you're likely to get the exact opposite result. The poll is the same, but the people you're talking to are universally biased in the same direction because of where you're getting people to talk to. In order to get a fair, correct answer to which people overall like best, you need to talk to a random selection of people from the entire population, not just people on one side or the other.

Hence, I really don't suggest that you say that "most people preferred 1.X", because I highly doubt that's the case. It might be the case in the people you netgame with, but the feedback I've gotten is from a far wider cross-section of players, and 2.0.X is overwhelmingly considered to be an improvement over 1.X. I have no reason to believe that 2.1.X won't also be considered an improvement over 2.0.X when it releases.

I really think you're wrong on that. Most people here, myself included, have fond memories of playing on older versions of SRB2, 1.09.4 included. How could we not? That version was current for years. However, you'd be wrong saying that most people prefer the older version instead of just having fond memories of it.

It's a common fallacy to think that because you have an opinion and you talk to a bunch of other people that think similarly to you that the overall majority of people agree with you. You're experiencing what's called a sampling bias. As an example, let's say you're holding a poll on who's better, Mario or Sonic. If you go hold that poll on a Sonic forum, you're likely to get results that say that Sonic is better. If you hold that poll on a Mario forum, you're likely to get the exact opposite result. The poll is the same, but the people you're talking to are universally biased in the same direction because of where you're getting people to talk to. In order to get a fair, correct answer to which people overall like best, you need to talk to a random selection of people from the entire population, not just people on one side or the other.

Hence, I really don't suggest that you say that "most people preferred 1.X", because I highly doubt that's the case. It might be the case in the people you netgame with, but the feedback I've gotten is from a far wider cross-section of players, and 2.0.X is overwhelmingly considered to be an improvement over 1.X. I have no reason to believe that 2.1.X won't also be considered an improvement over 2.0.X when it releases.

I understand what you mean but if you asked the majority of the users on this forum they would probably say yes considering 1094 has all of they're little tools such as homing attack, light dash an SMS wad that could completely break the game.ect I don't like old versions for that crap though I like them because of the older CTF, Tag and Match maps and Nostalgia.

This is my whole point. The forums don't actually think that. Overall if you held a poll (which I will note is not allowed so don't do it) of which version is better, you'd find that 2.0.X is more popular than 1.X here on the forums. However, it's likely that amongst you and your friends, you'd get the opposite result. This is because people with similar interests and tastes group up together because people want their friends to share common interests. You're experiencing a sampling bias because of that.

Also, you have to remember that the people who play this game on the master server and post on the forums are actually the vocal minority of the people who play this game. The overwhelming majority of people who play SRB2 never even play it online, never mind register for and post on forums about it. Amongst this crowd, they'd question your sanity if you said that 1.X was better because 2.0.X's single player campaign is so much more fleshed out and interesting than 1.X's.

This is my whole point. The forums don't actually think that. Overall if you held a poll (which I will note is not allowed so don't do it) of which version is better, you'd find that 2.0.X is more popular than 1.X here on the forums. However, it's likely that amongst you and your friends, you'd get the opposite result. This is because people with similar interests and tastes group up together because people want their friends to share common interests. You're experiencing a sampling bias because of that.

Also, you have to remember that the people who play this game on the master server and post on the forums are actually the vocal minority of the people who play this game. The overwhelming majority of people who play SRB2 never even play it online, never mind register for and post on forums about it. Amongst this crowd, they'd question your sanity if you said that 1.X was better because 2.0.X's single player campaign is so much more fleshed out and interesting than 1.X's.

I understand. Not meaning to go off topic here but speaking of playing online I hate it how when ever I click on my SRB2 2.0.6 exe and look for net games the majority of them are Role Play servers with one billion wad files and they are mostly ones like sms, role play servers are everywhere I go. I can rarely find a GOOD coop server. In all honesty I think RP servers should become against the rules again. It's not that I hate people role playing it's just I'm sick of seeing them everywhere.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Who is viewing this thread (Total: 1, Members: 0, Guests: 1)

Back