Mango-Lounge Map Pack

Justburner

NOTICE: The mod has been renamed to Mango-Lounge Map Pack because a member of our crew started working on his own map! It will be included here in the future when it's done.

This maps were exclusive to our mango-lounge crew server but now they are available to the public... enjoy!

Sonic & Knuckles - Blue Sphere Land
Any Sonic fan should know where this one comes from ;)

attachment.php

Beware of red spheres, they kill you!

Known issues (or intended features?)
  • You can be killed by a red sphere outsides of the map by sandwiching yourself against 2 diagonal bumpers at high speed. - Won't fix, performance reasons
  • Taking a spring will slow down your momentum but most will be restored once you hit the ground. - Too complex or error prone to retain momentum always
  • Going outside of the map doesn't kill you. - Won't fix, performance reasons
  • "I was pixels away from the Red Sphere and it still killed me!" - FYI the Red Sphere has the smallest collision box of all spheres
  • Combi Ring Team Racing shouldn't be used on this map. - But if you do prepare yourself for some shenanigans, it's actually funny!
  • What!? I can't reach any blue spheres now! - Community thought that mechanic was unbalanced so it's now removed.

Station Zero Concept - GBA Grin's Adventures
WARNING: Since v1.1 to accommodate large number of players and hard speed the map has been scaled by 1.33x, sadly this broke tons of elements in the map so the player will experience unaligned textures and glitches. The map is too broken to be properly fixed so I'll ask if map feels better in gameplay let me know so i can redo the map properly in the future knowing that will be good!

Map is based from my Game Boy Advance demo "Station Zero Concept" which took inspiration from my brudda Grinachi project.
This map is fairly recent and is in beta.
Despite this map not using scripting you can't use it on time attack due to the pack having scripts that belong to other map(s).

attachment.php

Credits
  • Thanks to Grinachi for the Station Zero inspiration... his OC characters (like Grin as seen in the GIF) will be released soon.
Known issues
  • Can get stuck when bumping into an scenario thing at certain angle after the big jump over the spiral. - Bumping is really fun but getting stuck is rare and very hard to achieve, you have to be really unlucky to lose all momentum as you're dead-on over a thing, for now will leave as it is but if this happens often please let me know >_> - Poles don't collide anymore.

Changelog:
v1.1 @ 2019-09-05
MAPSP - SnK Blue Sphere Land (Rev 29)
MAPSJ - Station Zero Concept (Beta 10)

MAPSP:
  • Removed shortcuts
  • Replaced blue spheres corridor with quick jumps
  • Added some arrows pointing which way to go
MAPSJ:
  • Scaled map 1.33x, now track is much wider but sadly broke the map! :(
  • Removed all decays (they got broken).
  • Replace "daytona" spiner (got super broken beyond repair) into a ramp
  • Removed road pillars from map
  • Removed pole's collision

v1.0 @ 2019-08-31
MAPSP - SnK Blue Sphere Land (Rev 25)
MAPSJ - Station Zero Concept (Beta 6)

Public release.

Attachments

• MAPSP_Start.gif
    1.2 MB · Views: 2,899
  • MAPSJ_Start.gif
    2 MB · Views: 2,780
  • KRL_MangoMapPack_v1.1.pk3
    2 MB · Views: 612
Last edited:
My apologies, but I keep forgetting that additional periods in filenames do not impact anything as long as the last one is for the filetype. I guess its just an old mentality I struggle to shake. Anyways, welcome to releases!

So, first impressions; I don't see blue spheres turning red as the best gimmick, seeing as this means the leading player has the easiest time using these. After the first lap with enough players, these shortcuts are actually unusable(though I didn't test if invincibility allows their use), further hurting comeback ability. I also needed to double check on some turns just to be sure which way is the way to go, as by sticking so hard to the look, there's no arrows and very little directioning. Even the yellow spheres can't be trusted, as some may end up bouncing you stronger and in a different direction than you expect!

Station Zero Concept Zone looks cool and all, but the posts having collision makes going off the road a very costly mistake, resulting in ping-ponging between them, or just struggling to return if an item sends you too far. The roundabout in particular has arrows that are off the path and very difficult to see, giving me way too much hesitation to steer into the correct path because I had no idea that was the right way. Some painted lines on the road would help in pointing users in the correct direction.

Last edited:
Thanks.

Blue Sphere Land:

The shortcuts only cut a bit of time (the first one actually bump you around before actually drooping you back to the track) also some are risky to take which end up hurting much more if the player touch a exposed red sphere in the narrow shortcut... if there's too many good players, taking a shortcut will be chaotic and dangerous... i had some hilarious deaths due to that.

Sadly adding arrows on Blue Sphere Land will break the aesthetics. :(

Station Zero Concept Zone:

The posts having collision was intentional, this put the player on they toes when trying to shortcut the track, without them the player also won't even bother running on the actual track and cut turns in the pavement easily. Also it should be weird to pass solid objects!! Removing them completely should clearly help on performance but the stage just won't look the same :/

Yes, I can place a sign on the roundabout's near entrance to turn right on the next update, no problem there.

Sadly adding arrows on Blue Sphere Land will break the aesthetics. :(
What if you used those little triangle thingies that appear on either side of the GET BLUE SPHERES prompt at the start as arrows?

attachment.php

Attachments

• unknown.png
    unknown.png
    7.1 KB · Views: 2,434
Not a bad idea!

EDIT: Attempted to make an arrow sphere that fits the aesthetic but any kind of symbol on spheres is very hard to see... aw well... :(

Last edited:
Blue Sphere Land I feel needs the red sphere tweaked so they can allow growth and invincibility users to pass through. Currently they're just death pits it seems. It sucks when all the racers ahead turn the blue spheres red so trying to rush down the long straight with packs of spheres is more harmful than helpful. With the way that the shortcuts are a first come, only serve basis makes comebacks here seemingly hard. Also the last yellow spheres on the main path launch you into the bumpers for some reason? Then you get awkwardly bumped forward an inch. Why not just have them aim for the ground like the others?

Station Zero Concept definitely needs some work. It feels very cramped and more meant for a single driver than multiple. Small roads are fine, but roads smaller than roughly 700 fracunits gets annoying really quickly. That's my take at least. The last section under ground with the bridge is the most problematic because of this. I don't know if this was tested in normal speed, but in hard speed this last bit of the map is super easy to fall just from trying to drift up the turn. Not a fan of that. Also the amount of poles that stopped me because of the small roads was quiet frequent. I feel like a bigger road would negate this issue on it's own. However, why have shorter poles in-between the lamp posts? They feel unnecessary. I can give an A on the visuals at least!

Both of these maps have neat concepts, they just need more polish. Station Zero especially would benefit from some adjustments.

Thanks everyone for the feedback! I really appreciate it!

There's good and bad news...

The good news is that most of the suggestions were implemented. *thumbs up*

The bad news is that in attempt to make Station Zero Concept map bigger it got visually broken in the progress... I'll ask for players to tell me if the map feels better gameplay wise so i don't spend time on redoing the map if there still problems.

Last edited:

Who is viewing this thread (Total: 1, Members: 0, Guests: 1)

Back