SRB2 Launcher - 2.1 compatible!

Status
Not open for further replies.
This launcher is based on a design I've had laying around for about two years but never put any functionality into. It's "written" (drag 'n drop!) in C# using Visual Studio which doesn't sound the best, I know... but who cares! =P

This requires .NET Framework 4.0 or higher.

Features:

• It remembers your settings from last time, so you don't have to set everything each time! For now, it saves to SRB2 Launcher.ini, and will allow multiple configurations much like the file lists later on.
  • You can add and remove multiple custom files (wads etc) simultaneously
  • You can save and load file lists for easy access to commonly used custom files
  • You can drag and drop files, directories, and file lists into the launcher, with configurable filters. Dragging in directories recursively adds all files from the directory, and all its sub directories.
  • You can add files from other directories (so if SRB2 is in your documents and there's a file on your desktop you want to use, it won't crash!)
  • You can change the order of the file list which subsequently changes the order they're loaded in SRB2
  • You can host or join (directly by IP) a netgame right from the launcher
  • You can warp directly to a stage with whatever gametype you like whether you're hosting a server or just playing single player
  • You can warp to maps by using their ingame numbering system (e.g A1 for 101; the first level of Mystic Realm)
  • Custom command-line arguments
  • Selectable SRB2 version for compatibility reasons
Planned features:

• Profiles for launcher settings [Next update?]
  • Proper configurable server name and max players [Next update FOR SURE (ignoring bugs)]
  • Map name display by reading level headers or maincfgs... maybe.

tl;dr it does everything the SRB2 Net launcher did except better with some extra stuff.
Also if the source code is really necessary in this situation, I can upload it. But I warn you, it's terrible. I'm not really used to C# coming from C++.

Anyway, tell me what you think! And credit to SSNTails for the icon which I shamelessly stole from his website and cropped =P

(New images coming soon. You can visit the old thread to see the original screenshots for the time being, here: http://mb.srb2.org/showthread.php?p=734843)

Attachments

• SRB2 Launcher.zip
    294.1 KB · Views: 34,953
Last edited:
Continuing from the old thread, here is the list of changes in this version:

• Launcher settings are now saved automatically to "SRB2 Launcher.ini". You can't currently load and save custom config files, but that'll come later.
  • Implemented a configurable drag and drop filter. Defaults to .wad, .soc, and .lua with .srb, .dta, .plr, and .wpn present but disabled. It can be configured from Edit -> Drag & Drop Filter, or by pressing Alt+D.
  • Dropping a file list ini onto the launcher will open it
  • Enabled those two checkboxes in the join netgame tab. They do as described... probably.
  • Added a dropdown menu to select the version of SRB2 you're launching so that the launcher can ensure it's generating the right command line arguments. Defaults to 2.1.X with options for 2.0.X and 1.09.X (although all they do right now is change some netgame related settings. I'll look into it and see if they need anything else changed).
  • Changed the behaviour of the join, host, and warp to map checkboxes. It was dumb to let the netgame checkboxes disable the warp checkbox, so checking the warp checkbox while one of the netgame options are checked simply disables those.
  • Changed the behaviour of some text boxes so that they automatically select all the text inside it (useful for typing resolutions, e.g 1280 tab 800, without having to delete what was there).
  • Fixed launching from other directories.
  • Added "Open SRB2 Folder" functionaliy. Accessible from File -> Open SRB2 Folder, or by pressing Alt+O.
  • Changed some behaviour of command line generation. When the dedicated server option is checked, all sound and video options are disabled from command line generation to save space for files, for example.
  • Poke-a-chu!

Coming next update (unless there's a bug):

• Configurable server name and max players. THIS TIME FOR SURE.

Thank you, i was waiting for this to get updated, now i hope it fixes my problem, im just one of those persons that dont read all the things

Just tried this launcher. It's a very useful tool.
However it seems as if my custom player colors are not saving (I'm using Teal). Also in OpenGL mode, Custom Resolution does not work, since I have it set to boot into 640x400, but instead it launches in 640x480 resolution, and there are no settings in-game to make it 640x400.

Other than that, great to see a more modern launcher available.

Just for fun I drag-and-dropped my C drive into the files list. (Stupid of me, yes.) The launcher crashed.

What if when a directory is too big it only adds files from the immediate directory and not subdirectories? This way huge folders would not crash it.

However it seems as if my custom player colors are not saving (I'm using Teal). Also in OpenGL mode, Custom Resolution does not work, since I have it set to boot into 640x400, but instead it launches in 640x480 resolution, and there are no settings in-game to make it 640x400.

Custom resolution does not work on ANY srb2 launcher on OpenGL for some reason.

Thanks for the feedback everyone. I won't be able to fix issues for a while though, as I'm currently out of town. I do have my computer, but it's not always accessible, and I'm usually busy using it to have fun =P

Well that was quite the oversight... I forgot to actually properly apply the flag that enables the drag and drop filter. Fixed now.

The version is now 1.6.1.
(and yes, I'm still out of town; I just noticed this and it was a one-liner, so why not)

I've just uploaded another bug fix.

• Fixed an issue with warps and single-digit map numbers (which is a regression, because I re-wrote the function and overlooked this)
  • Added proper support for 2.1.X gametypes

And that brings the version to 1.6.2.

Last edited:
Can you add a second resolution option ? It looks like Opengl doesn't support the resolutions that software does and software doesn't support some of opengl. A second for both options(so that there are 4 in total) would be very nice, so switching from fullscreen to windowed is possible without having to change it every time, but that's probably too much for now, so a openGL window size option is the only thing for now(the other idea can be a nice bonus if you have time, but it's not needed).

Actually, the game doesn't support custom resolutions. Only the ones already programmed into the game, so everything is aligned or something like that :/

There's not much I can do about resolution problems one way or the other. It works for the most part right now (Resolutions above 640x400 in software windowed mode?! FINALLY!), but it's otherwise SRB2's fault and not the launcher.

The added saving of your options makes this extremely versatile and handy for multiple EXEs.

If anybody still plays this game and uses my launcher, I have a test version I'd like you to try out. Download here. The version number is v1.7 because reasons.

This version, other than being renamed, can read and write SRB2 config files. My implementation is pretty awful (and pretty old now; it's been a while since I've touched it), but I need to know if it screws up your config files. I'd recommend just backing up your current SRB2 config file and using this for a while. If anything breaks, compare with the old one and let me know. (It also minimizes when you launch the game, and it'll reload the config when the game exits.)

The reason for this is that the server name in the netplay options is now configurable. Note: your launcher config file from the release version isn't compatible with this one. They're not too different that you couldn't convert it over, but I'll leave that up to you to figure out.

File lists also aren't compatible, but converting those is simple:

• Remove "[Files]" from the top of the file list. You can use find and replace to replace "[Files]" with nothing.
  • Replace File[number] with just [number]. You can probably get away with just replacing all case sensitive instances of "File" with nothing.
(If you have a bunch of file lists, you can open them all in Notepad++ and run those replace procedures in all opened files.)

After you've done that, you can load the file list into the newer launcher. There will be a blank first entry, so I recommend removing those and saving as you go. This is because the new file lists are 0-based instead of 1-based.

If everything goes well, I'll release this version with the source code and probably never work on it again seeing as I've been sitting on this update for well over a year now. Your business is appreciated.

I never saved configuration files whatsoever but it is neat to see that the launcher now minimizes itself when starting the game and shows up again when closing the game... it's just minor but with my moitor setup I was allways able to see the launcher looking over my SRB2 window. But now I've got just black borders when playing in Steam Big Picture mode.

From what I can tell so far, this is really nice! I'm liking the fact that you seem to have removed the limit on how many wad files you can add, as that was sort of a problem for me before.

Yes, if you added something like 8 or more files, the old version would pop up with an error saying one or more of the files was not valid upon launching the game. I wanted to report this earlier but I didn't want to bump the topic since I had figured it wasn't being worked on anymore.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Who is viewing this thread (Total: 1, Members: 0, Guests: 1)

Back