c_3Elements

Status
Not open for further replies.

PHCC

Too fast for you to see me.
Here are my level, it is my first co-op lvl, and here are the link to download it:
http://www.4shared.com/file/PnGSsHgq/c_3Elements.html
Or View attachment c_3Elements.rar
NOTE: these links are the Beta version 0.0, to download the lastest version, go to the final of the post.

Here are the screenshots:

srb20023.png

srb20022.png

srb20024j.png

srb20020.png

srb20021.png

srb20019.png

srb20018.png

srb20015q.png

The Level is based on 3 elements, Air and Earth(map 1) and Water(map 2). This lvl pack wasn't made for begginers on srb2, because it has some difficult parts, and a little puzzle(maths).Each map has 2 tokens, try to find it, if you can XD .

NOTE:The first map is a little ugly now, i'll post a new version with more texture variation.

EDIT:The level has more texture variation now. Download here: View attachment c_3ElementsB1.rar

Here are the beta v0.2, with fixed graphical errors and more scenery: View attachment c_3ElementsBv0.2.rar

Update:

fixes:
*More graphical issues are fixed;
*More scenery;
*The invisible elevator are now translucent and intangible from the bottom;
*Rings are floating.

Adds:
I have added a new secret place, try to find it!!

Download: View attachment c_3ElementsBv0.3.rar

Update2:

Now, the level is out of beta stage.

fixes:
*The 2nd map now have all the rings floating.
*And have more scenery too.

Adds:
*the 2nd map is a bit spanded.

Download:
View attachment c_3Elementsv1.0.rar

Update3:

Fixes:
*To know, play the level.

Download: View attachment c_3Elementsv1.1.rar

Last edited:
You already know most of my critiques with the level and fixed a good amount of them, at least the ones that made the level unfairly hard. There are still a bunch of issues with this level, but I will let some other people help you with that. I am sure you heard enough from me :3

About your latest response to the pm, I didn't mean that you have to use the EXACT floor textures here, but I wanted to show you how it can help the player know where the floor was breaking. You can use a floor texture with more subtle variations.

Out of curiosity, why did you stuff the control sectors inside the thok barrier? I'm not sure whether it would have much effect on gameplay, but it's extremely unconventional. Most people put control sectors outside of the thok barrier.

My god! I haven't seen it. I was too distracted, but I see no problems in gameplay.

This is a pretty good lvl, but it hasn't scenery, put something that gives life to the map. I liked the idea of the maths problem, but do a math problem that people can do in the head or something that gives you the correct buttons that you will have to push, like a sequence of colors, or a word, or symbols(triangle, circle, etc).
The tokens are realy hard to find, I just found one, were you have placed them?

Now, the level has more texture variation, the map looks more nice now?

I need more critiques (even if it are bad) to improve my level. Please, people, post something.

Squished? Why? This is a part of the challange, I won't remove it without the opinion of more people.

The End Level sign has never looked so good.

I love this level, just for the difficulty, cool gimmicks, music, and work you put into it. Just float your rings, fix a few things, and you're good.

BTW, where did you get that music, or did you write it yourself?

BTW, where did you get that music, or did you write it yourself?
I got this music from the UT G.O.T.Y (Unreal Tournament 1999,99 or Game Of The Year : G.O.T.Y)Chaos UT MOD , I converted it with the OGG mp3 converter, it's the only converter what I found that can convert .utx files.I just liked of the music and put in the wad, thank you.

EDIT:
Just float your rings, fix a few things, and you're good.

Fix what things?

Last edited:
Sorry, my message had to be cut short for different reasons.

The thok barrier at the beginning has a few strango graphical errors (that probably don't show up in OpenGL) and is so darn big that it slime trails at a distance. There was something else...

Oh yeah! Fix those invisible elevators so that they're intangible from the bottom. This will keep people from being crushed while waiting for them (or just stepping in that space accidentally.) There was one other thing... that... I... can't... remember. I'll play it again and get back to you.

(As to the elevators, you can fix those by setting the floor height on the movement sector to the same as the original FOF or make a custom 3D block (One is used in ERZ3.))

EDIT: Create a level header for the second level.

Last edited:
The thok barrier at the beginning has a few strango graphical errors (that probably don't show up in OpenGL) and is so darn big that it slime trails at a distance. There was something else...
This is an error that i can't fix, because the level is too big, and this makes an unbelievable graphical error, I'll try to put a wall on the front of the graphical error, maybe this can fix it.

Oh yeah! Fix those invisible elevators so that they're intangible from the bottom.
I'll post a new version with these bug fixes, thank you to tell me about it.

I'm downloading the lastest version and after this I'll test it. I'll come back to post.

EDIT:Ok, the level is excellent now, I had a scare when I was on the finish of the 2nd lvl. BTW, you made a very very good lvl.

Last edited:
Thank you, this is the complete lvl pack, if I modify it, I'll put only more secret places and gimmicks.

Okay, I'm not gonna beat around the bush here; I hate this pack.

Air and Earth Zone

...so you spawn ON the monitor. this already made me cringe, and I had every right to fear what lie ahead of me, for the rest of the map was just as poor in quality as I had imagined.

Right off the bat, I jump on some slow moving and really boring platforms, thok for several seconds, then get to the crusher segment I have seen in tons of other places before, then thok some more (All accompanied by terrible visuals and a pretty lame song that doesn't even fit the level) before taking an elevator ride that was far more slow then it should have been, hold forward across some fans, thok even MORE, got pelted by spikeballs and meteors that were so plentiful, I found it easier to just regrab my rings as I plowed through rather than just dodge. THEN I got shrunk down to fit in a hole for no reason other than to slow me down and make this level even MORE of a chore to play, and then I come to one of the biggest flowbreakers I have ever seen: Sudden math. For NO REASON other than to slow down the gameplay, you solve a math problem. I cannot fathom why this would EVER be a good idea in a SONIC LEVEL. So I was just "screw this" and nocliped to the exit, not even bothering to use a calculator or something.

Water Zone

After looking at the level for a good solid 10 seconds and then jumping through a waterfall to a sudden change in scenery and terrible use of textures, I just went "screw this even more" and stopped here.

I wish I could say something redeeming here, but there isn't anything to say. It was a pain to sit though, and I didn't even bother with finishing it since it was clear it would just be pointless, since my opinion on this pack would be the same. There is nothing good about this pack at all. You seriously need to read this more.

I still think these levels are pretty well made.

I still like the music.

I still think that your second act needs a MAINCFG entry.

But it has a MAINCFG entry....

For NO REASON other than to slow down the gameplay, you solve a math problem. I cannot fathom why this would EVER be a good idea in a SONIC LEVEL. So I was just "screw this" and nocliped to the exit, not even bothering to use a calculator or something.
I'm working in an other type of gimmick that not includes math, and the rest... I'm sorry but I can not do anything if you do not like of the map. Of course I do not gives much attention to the scenery, I only focus on the challenges, disregarding the demands of the level design 101.

After looking at the level for a good solid 10 seconds and then jumping through a waterfall to a sudden change in scenery and terrible use of textures, I just went "screw this even more" and stopped here.
I wanted to do something like a temple in this part, but if you did not see it, and actually you found quite ridiculous, sorry again, but if you think this map is horrible enough to make you tremble with disgust, then torgo didn't put it in the releases session.

Last edited:
I'm sorry but I can not do anything if you do not like of the map.
Wrong. You can change it.

Of course I do not gives much attention to the scenery, I only focus on the challenges, disregarding the demands of the level design 101.
Wait, you don't even care about level design 101? You should never, ever, under any circumstances do that. Your map will suck if you don't abide it, that's what it was made for. And it really shows, because your level is quite horrible.

sorry again, but if you think this map is horrible enough to make you tremble with disgust, then torgo didn't put it in the releases session.
Wrong again. Everything that has at least some merit is let into the Releases section. There have been plenty of absolutely horrible maps (including yours) in here.

You know what? Instead of focusing on making obstacle courses that are as difficult as possible, you should focus on making an actually good map. Focusing on challenges is not an excuse to ignore every other requirement for good design.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Who is viewing this thread (Total: 1, Members: 0, Guests: 1)

Back