s_mechanicalforest.wad

Status
Not open for further replies.

Metal96

Well, I've got a new level, and I do believe it turned out better than my last.

Mechanical Forest Zone is based on Eggman's factory in the heart of a forest, but his operations have resulted in water covering the forest floor and a lot of deforestation.

Contains powerups, alternate paths, cool scenic effects, an extra-life giving hidden spring chain, and lots more!

http://sites.google.com/site/metal9...rb2/s_mechanicalforest.wad?attredirects=0&d=1

I have to go to bed now (thanks to mom), so screenshots will come tomorrow.

Attachments

• s_mechanicalforest.zip
    2 MB · Views: 631
Last edited by a moderator:
I see no screenshots, but I'm willing to try this out since it did make it to releases. :P

Will review later.

Okay, first of all, this level is WAY too hard, on the outside it is so easy to die when running that I didn't actually dare to run. The inside parts are insanely cramped and wth is a Deton doing in a cramped quarter? The boss wasn't fun either, jumping on a thin platform that also has parts that break off; not to mention the fact that it was above a Death Pit AND with a laser in the middle. The only thing I liked was the custom music.

1/10

Really, try better next time. How this got through the Submissions is beyond me.

Last edited:
Agent Hack's Review:

I really liked the floor gimmick you used from SA2B but you should widen it up some more, it can be really easy for someone to fall off when running. Some places are way too cramped (go widen those up too :P). I think the one zoom tube you take on the right makes the camera weird making me unable to see. Also, Unless you plan on widening some places up don't dare put a Deton in the level :P (only making it an unfair challenge). You also have a little sector bug near the boss place (where it changes music) The sector only changes the music once, and if I die and return there the music won't change. And you should also improve the boss area some more, Make that poison floor not a Death-Pit its misleading and kinda dumb to have a damage sector right above a Death-pit. Widen up the boss area too, other than that I have no faults with the level. Nice Job.

4/10 (Few extra points for nice stuff like ERZ type doors)

I thought this was a good wad but I did not like the begenning and the inside was a little cramped and I did not like the boss its hard.
other than that its good to me

I didn't like it.

- The half-pipe pathways were too narrow and forced the player to slow to a crawl, or they would fall to death.
- The player wasn't in control much of the time. The player spends too much time in the air going from spring to spring, in zoom tubes, and riding elevators.
- The parts when the player is in control are boring. The platforming is unchallenging and uncreative.
- The Deton is unavoidable. Make it so the player can lure him into an enemy or wall.
- The camera is incredibly ****ed up. It goes berzerk after leaving the zoom tube, leaving the player vulnerable to slime/bottomless pits/enemies.
- The visual theme isn't very well conveyed. The decision to make this a "mechanical forest" seems more like an afterthought than anything else.
- The boss is im-****ing-possible. Seriously, he's more of a challenge than Mystic Realm's baddest.
- I personally didn't like your music selections.

Last edited:
This level was not that good at all.

There are cramped areas everywhere and all the areas were bland. The pathways are too narrow, most of the time you have to walk just to get through.
That Deton is very cheap for anybody who will not suspect being around a corner that close to the player.
The spammage of Buzzers in one spot at that one part was not really needed.
The boss is not really that challenging especially after you get your timing down as any character.

Overall the level was way too short and boring, it did not seem that much effort was put in the gameplay.
All I can say is make the areas larger so they are not cramped and try different ideas with that might work with the level in both the outside and inside areas.

Color map error...

srb20000.png

About a few things...

I was originally contemplating not having the boss floor as a death pit, but figures to release it anyway and see what happened.

The half-pipes? You can run full out as Sonic on those things! Try this: begin turning slightly before the turn actually starts.

Colormap error... acctually, I saw that. I had no idea how to fix it. If you know, please tell me.

The deton is avoidable.

The camera... that's something I'm already working on fixing. Until I get it, just reset it when you get to a glitchy area.

I will widen up the paths, add a little something else I just thought of, and repost it.

Ok, I know you're going to be surprised at this, but I liked this level. The half-pipe paths were an interesting idea and I liked them. The music was a pretty good choice for a level of this theme. However, I do have to admit that the zoom tubes messed me up a bit(the camera error) but that was easily fixed with the reset camera button. All in all, I'd give this a C- (which means that it still needs some work).

Status
Not open for further replies.

Who is viewing this thread (Total: 1, Members: 0, Guests: 1)

Back