Sonic Riders first impressions

Status
Not open for further replies.
Well, I just now cancelled my Game Informer subscription. I was already mad at the sheer number of low scores they consistantly give games (Actually often outnumbering the number of average/high scores per-issue), and so when I opened up this month's GI, I turned to the reviews section.

They gave Riders a 5. That's a point above Shadow.

GamePro didn't like it too much, either, with a 2.5/5. But at least they don't pride themselves on giving new games consistant horrible scores. Too bad they're somewhat biased.

Bleh. See, THIS is why I read Famitsu. x_x;

They give more low scores than high scores? I might have to suscribe to that. One of the things that continuously annoys me is the overuse of the 7-9/10 section for games that really don't deserve it. I'd also like to remind you that everyone is going to have bias. I came into Riders hoping it was good and came out of it thinking it was utter crap. Going in with a positive hope and coming out with a negative reaction is a 4-6 in my eyes, and since that's what most people are scoring it, that's fine. That doesn't mean you can't like it, that just means a majority of people won't. I mean, there is a minority of people who actually liked Sonic Heroes.

The Sonic fanbase is naturally biased towards it. I played the game. I really don't understand why anyone would willingly buy and play that game. I tried it with the purpose of determining whether I might want to buy it, and it was one of the worst racing games I've played in years. Pit stops? Abysmal physics? Sections of the track where I rotate the stick for no good reason? I went from "This game might be worth a purchase" to "I'm never playing this again" in 30 minutes, and that's a pretty severe reaction if you ask me. I can't be the only one that absolutely hated it, and apparently, the game reviewers agree with me.

I think it's now boiled down to two camps of Sonic fans: Those who blindly love every Sonic game that comes out, and those who realized that the series is in the toilet and somehow, SEGA takes a good idea (Sonic racing game) and drags it into the mud every time. You obviously love whatever SEGA releases, and honestly, I don't have a problem with that. If you enjoy it, who am I to tell you to stop having fun. However, a large amount of people don't enjoy it, namely "anyone who isn't a Sonic fan", and that's why it gets such low scores. Game reviews are always going to be based on opinion, and public opinion is generally pretty negative.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Who is viewing this thread (Total: 1, Members: 0, Guests: 1)

Back