Sonic Boom: Fire and Ice

Status
Not open for further replies.
Eh, I wouldn't just say that the solution is to bring a whole new team into the mix, as evidenced by, well, Big Red Button pretty much. The bigger issue is Sega is really trying to appeal to way too many crowds at once. And as we all know, there is no pleasing everybody. Instead of focusing efforts on quality, they have too much focus on the nostalgia card and "all the cool kids play it". Things like that. Sega want more people in the franchise, while also keeping the oldies in. It really went downhill all the way back at the start of the "dark age", I'd say with Sonic Heroes. They kept changing the formula up so much that it more or less alienated old fans from Sonic games. Sonic Team just didn't establish a constant formula that could be changed just enough to keep things fresh, yet not to the point where old players feel that it's an entirely different franchise. But that's just my take on this.

The bigger and more important problem with constantly introducing new formulas is that it leads to unpolished gameplay. The team has little time to actually polish the engine when they're focused on building it from scratch; as for what time could be spent on incorporating player feedback into improvements on the spiritual successor, it's instead spent reinventing the wheel on something entirely different. In this case, issuing the bulk of the work to a third party development team with not much experience under their belt compounds on the preceding issues.

Long story short, Sonic games stumble over themselves because SEGA doesn't have enough nerve to stick to their guns.

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.

Who is viewing this thread (Total: 1, Members: 0, Guests: 1)

Back