SRB2 Message Board  

Go Back   SRB2 Message Board > Sonic Robo Blast 2 > SRB2 Discussion

Old 05-10-2020   #1
Krabs

Default "cam_speed" is a big problem

I thought about making this a post in the suggestions thread, but I wanted to start a bit of discussion since I think it's a sort of invisible problem that hampers the new player experience. Personally, I think the default cam_speed value (0.3) is really bad and actually quite disorienting. This is due to a few reasons:

- cam_speed not only affects the speed of the camera's movement when chasing the player. It also introduces a "mouse acceleration" effect which instantly throws off players who are used to precise FPS controls. You can test how horrible this is by comparing cam_speed 0.1 and cam_speed 1.0.
- When moving towards the camera, especially after thokking and bouncing off of a boss, the player frequently moves completely off-screen.
- This is less fact and more opinion, but I personally think it makes platforming more difficult when cam_speed is low.

I think a default cam_speed of 1.0 is worth considering, although I know many players have gotten used to the default. At the very least, I'd really like for the mouse rotation of the camera to be unaffected by cam_speed. Let me know what you think.

Last edited by Krabs; 05-10-2020 at 08:38 PM.
Krabs is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-10-2020   #2
Kaysakado

I would really like to see a camera that is always directly behind the player (for legacy/standard setups of course). I don't mind necessarily that the camera lags behind when moving quickly, but it would certainly help with precision turning, and help with the camera showing an inaccurate angle when your back is up against a wall.
Kaysakado is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-10-2020   #3
Krabs

Ah, I forgot to complain about walls too. I think one of the most important fixes that the camera needs is removal of the intense shaking it does when caught in a corner. I'd also really like it if the camera would never show an inaccurate angle (instead opting to just move closer behind the player while maintaining the correct angle), and if the player would become translucent when too close to the camera.
Old 05-11-2020   #4
Kaysakado

Quote:
Originally Posted by Krabs View Post
if the player would become translucent when too close to the camera.
Huh. This definitely used to be in the game. See https://gfycat.com/inconsequentialdamagedcanvasback

Last edited by Kaysakado; 05-11-2020 at 12:06 AM.
Kaysakado is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-11-2020   #5
Monster Iestyn
Fangtastic
Administrator

...the player turning translucent when close to camera feature is supposed to be still there, I'm not sure why it isn't working as of 2.2.3. Clearly the fact it isn't working is a bug.

That's an uppercase i, not a lowercase L, for the record. Also, it's pronounced "Yes-tin".
Monster Iestyn is offline   Reply With Quote