SRB2 Message Board  

Go Back   SRB2 Message Board > Sonic Robo Blast 2 > SRB2 Discussion

Old 05-11-2020   #1
lollolman
toomanywads.wad
Tempbanned (Strike 2)
Default What happened to the midis?

I loved the old midis, and now they've been replaced with midi versions of the 2.2 songs.

I have no idea why this was changed.
lollolman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-11-2020   #2
Monster Iestyn
Fangtastic
Administrator

The MIDIs were updated to reflect the fact that the digital music was updated for 2.2, it makes little sense to have them still be the 2.1 music. Plus, some of the new levels did not have MIDIs to go with them.

That's an uppercase i, not a lowercase L, for the record. Also, it's pronounced "Yes-tin".
Monster Iestyn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-11-2020   #3
Icarus
The Final Doomer

I believe that porting the .mid to a 2.2.3 file wouldn't work and that music mods aren't authorized as well.
Old 05-11-2020   #4
cookiefonster
Wiki Admin

If you want to use the old MIDI files, just rename patch_music.pk3 to something else. You can also make a WAD or PK3 file in SLADE with your own MIDIs named appropriately and select it in the add-ons menu, if you so prefer.
Old 05-12-2020   #5
CobaltBW
Community Noise Maker
Developer

Quote:
Originally Posted by lollolman View Post
I loved the old midis, and now they've been replaced with midi versions of the 2.2 songs.

I have no idea why this was changed.
I think a few people might be under the impression that the MIDI variants were intentionally left outdated in order to give players an option between "old style" and "new style". The real reason they were left as-is was due to time constraints.

MIDIs exist as an alternative format in case for whatever reason the end user cannot listen to the oggs.

Check out my soundcloud profile for music stuff
CobaltBW is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-12-2020   #6
Icarus
The Final Doomer

Quote:
Originally Posted by CobaltBW View Post
I think a few people might be under the impression that the MIDI variants were intentionally left outdated in order to give players an option between "old style" and "new style". The real reason they were left as-is was due to time constraints.

MIDIs exist as an alternative format in case for whatever reason the end user cannot listen to the oggs.
I kinda feel sad that the nostalgic old MIDIs are gone...
Old 05-12-2020   #7
CST1229
I somewhat miss 2.1...

I thought that the MIDIs were left out because nobody used them...
Old 05-12-2020   #8
lollolman
toomanywads.wad
Tempbanned (Strike 2)

Just realised that if you remove patch_music.pk3 you can get the old midis back.
lollolman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-12-2020   #9
CobaltBW
Community Noise Maker
Developer

I'll note that: in the event that all new music resources are moved onto music.dta, nothing's stopping you from transferring all of the music data from previous versions back into music.dta. Sound and music aren't counted as "modifying the game" when collecting secrets or joining game servers.

Check out my soundcloud profile for music stuff
CobaltBW is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-12-2020   #10
flarn2006

Quote:
Originally Posted by Icarus View Post
I believe that porting the .mid to a 2.2.3 file wouldn't work and that music mods aren't authorized as well.
Aren't authorized by whom?
flarn2006 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-12-2020   #11
Simsmagic
i 2 i

It's really easy to just open music.dta and just swap over older songs that you prefer (or even entirely new music if you like), and the game doesn't consider it modifying the files if you do
Simsmagic is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-13-2020   #12
flarn2006

Quote:
Originally Posted by CobaltBW View Post
I'll note that: in the event that all new music resources are moved onto music.dta, nothing's stopping you from transferring all of the music data from previous versions back into music.dta. Sound and music aren't counted as "modifying the game" when collecting secrets or joining game servers.
That makes sense. I was actually thinking about suggesting this if it wasn't already how the game worked. Does that only apply to music.dta or also music loaded from external WAD files? Are there any other types of modifications that aren't counted?
flarn2006 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-13-2020   #13
cookiefonster
Wiki Admin

Quote:
Originally Posted by flarn2006 View Post
That makes sense. I was actually thinking about suggesting this if it wasn't already how the game worked. Does that only apply to music.dta or also music loaded from external WAD files? Are there any other types of modifications that aren't counted?
Music loaded from WAD files doesn't prevent collectibles or saves either. I highly recommend using a separate WAD or PK3 file to mod the music instead of editing music.dta.