Windows 8 - Coming to your PC's in 2011!

Status
Not open for further replies.
2-3 years.

Windows 8 was in production while 7 was. 7 was probably just Vista 2.0.(To help the upset consumers) While Windows 8 will actually be a full new OS. (Including Microsoft Word,Office 2012 etc)

Dude, I only just upgraded to Windows XP. My OS lifecycle expands logarithmically with each release.

1992 - Win 3.1
1995 - Win 95
2001 - Win 2000
2008 - Win XP

Projecting these results, I can conclude that I'll upgrade to Windows 7 sometime in 2019.

I just have to stop and chuckle over the extended support for XP ending in 2014. Every IT department in the country is going to go through hell when they have to upgrade all their machines to Windows 7/8. :)

It's not as easy as you'd think, one change can break everything these days.

I'm still satisfied with my XP, I doubt I'll be seeing any OS newer than 2007 for quite a while.

It's not as easy as you'd think, one change can break everything these days.

Their fault for writing their programs and designing their architecture to rely strictly on XP. I'm honestly sick of seeing XP everywhere I go. I want to see more workstations on adequate hardware and an OS that isn't a decade old. Even better than just upgrading to the latest Windows - they could move to Linux, and be unique for a change.

Their fault for writing their programs and designing their architecture to rely strictly on XP. I'm honestly sick of seeing XP everywhere I go. I want to see more workstations on adequate hardware and an OS that isn't a decade old. Even better than just upgrading to the latest Windows - they could move to Linux, and be unique for a change.

We've had this discussion so many times before, Linux does not work well in a domain environment, Windows has always been top for that. A domain is essential in any corporate network.

It's not the programs and architecture, it's quite simply the fact that every change does something regardless. Whether it be an OS upgrade to simply updating an application or changing a group policy (control panel for real men) it can completely take down everything. Every teacher PC in my school went down when they updated the SIMS system (the thing for timetables, registers, etc).

Linux does not work well in a domain environment.

Oh yes it can. According to this article, it works very well: http://www.cio.com.au/article/333686/nz_school_ditches_microsoft_goes_totally_open_source?pp=1

It's not the programs and architecture, it's quite simply the fact that every change does something regardless.

Maybe if you suck at abstraction. It's stupidly clear that the infrastructure employed in most institutions has a hard dependency on XP. Probably because of all the bloat that they keep piling on - programs designed specifically around XP's eccentricities. But hey, most IT departments probably don't care, because even if they're stuck on XP and it takes over five minutes to boot to a desktop with poorly implemented restrictions which take away user rights and lock them to a single piece of software (likely because they were paid to by some other company, not because said program is actually any good), hey, it works!

Every teacher PC in my school went down when they updated the SIMS system (the thing for timetables, registers, etc).

I'm not even going to dwell on how awful and unnecessary that is.

Maybe if you suck at abstraction. It's stupidly clear that the infrastructure employed in most institutions has a hard dependency on XP. Probably because of all the bloat that they keep piling on - programs designed specifically around XP's eccentricities.

They must be doing something wrong, my own domain is completely fluid between XP, Vista and Windows 7. :3

A friend of mine works at a place where they all just updated to 7, apparently they like to be on top down there, it wasn't a very enjoyable experience, but I guess they have been on XP for the last 8 years or whatever, so...

But hey, most IT departments probably don't care, because even if they're stuck on XP and it takes over five minutes to boot to a desktop with poorly implemented restrictions which take away user rights and lock them to a single piece of software (likely because they were paid to by some other company, not because said program is actually any good), hey, it works!

If they're anything like my own school's netadmin, it's more likely a matter of "Too much effort" than anything else to use any other software, he just doesn't like the decent stuff, we're still waiting for something other than Paint Shop Pro 6 (He installed GIMP, which shocked me, because he hates Open Source, bring on Firefox please, we have Open Office too O.o). In a school, I must say, having the restrictions is understandable, after all, my school has this filter that doesn't work properly and needs to be configured via the IE Proxy settings, because it wasn't setup properly in the first place, my laptop bypasses the filter completely. :)

There is a reason that guy irritates me, and it's purely down to the fact that he doesn't even let us (or the staff) use the wifi, among other annoyances. :/

I'm not even going to dwell on how awful and unnecessary that is.

Compared to writing on paper, it's actually pretty good, much better than an Excel Spreadsheet anyways, though the system itself is pretty much beta tested on its users come updates, my above example situation was actually the last time they installed an update the day of release, now they wait a couple of months before updating.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Who is viewing this thread (Total: 1, Members: 0, Guests: 1)

Back