Sonic Colors!

Status
Not open for further replies.
Oh god, Bigboi was right! StarLight is so AWESOME!

Anyone try the COOP? I've had a lot of fun with my brother with these levels. Yes, we run into issues like going to fast for the other. Though, we were playing at max speeds which could be too fast for us.

By Thanksgiving my friend should be over and I'll have a new USB drive(or maybe a DVD or something) with Sonic Colors on it.

I played it by myself, reminds me of Sonic Heroes' co-op mode.

By Thanksgiving my friend should be over and I'll have a new USB drive(or maybe a DVD or something) with Sonic Colors on it.

I played it by myself, reminds me of Sonic Heroes' co-op mode.
Sonic Heroes only had versus. But yeah, its ... sort of similar
There are not as many cheap deaths as GameTrailer or others may have said
Ehh, I found some cheap deaths. The yellow bouncey spring was very annoying. If you accidentally dashed, you were dead. Then there were some points where the platforms were ridiculously small, overjumping was easy. But yeah, maybe not as many GT exaggerated.

Ehh, I found some cheap deaths. The yellow bouncey spring was very annoying. If you accidentally dashed, you were dead. Then there were some points where the platforms were ridiculously small, overjumping was easy. But yeah, maybe not as many GT exaggerated.

The yellow bouncey spring was only annoying because everyone rushed through it on their first try of the level. Getting the red rings on those parts and that Asteroid Coaster level with them were the only two annoying spots.

I've had this game a few days now, and I've gotta say, I'm not too impressed.

I mean, sure, it's got the physics, and it's got the platforming, but it doesn't use them together. The game seems like a stitched-together mix of Mario-esque platforming and straight on-rails barely-interactive running. Why can't I have something along the lines of hurling over a pit with momentum from a run? Of course, the boost doesn't help in this regard, because no matter how much "momentum" you program into a game, it all goes to waste if you can just mash a button and get back up to full speed.

Speaking of the level design, there are quite a few moments where I sat in one spot for probably ten minutes trying to figure out what to do. There are also a few parts I don't like, particularly any part with a lot of scripted running followed by a HOMING ATTACK OVER BOTOTMLESS PIT LOLOL segment that expects you to be fully alert. (Starlight Carnival Act 1 has this.) It might just be me, but if you set the game on auto-pilot like that, can't you at least get the player's attention before he has to do something like that? There was also one part in (was it Sweet Mountain?) where I was launched off of a booster ramp and was given the MASH 2 screen. However, I kept dying even though I pressed 2! It took me probably ten tries to realize that the game actually expected you to press the button multiple times, which hadn't been properly introduced before that.

Also, the cutscenes. Don't get me wrong, the humor works a lot of the time (even though I groaned at more than a few jokes) but after hearing Drummond and Griffith since I was five, something about Sonic's new voice doesn't feel right. It's probably just me, though.

However, I will say that the game has its fun moments, and it looks pretty to boot. The Wisps are also enjoyable for the most part. I just don't feel it was worth $50.

I've only played up to the point where you unlock Planet Wisp and the others, though, and only an act or two of each, so who knows? I might start to enjoy this game more later!

However, I kept dying even though I pressed 2! It took me probably ten tries to realize that the game actually expected you to press the button multiple times, which hadn't been properly introduced before that.
Your fault. The 2 button IS FLASHING AND PUSHING DOWN. I mean.. come on.
It might just be me, but if you set the game on auto-pilot like that, can't you at least get the player's attention before he has to do something like that?
It does. I was playing Asteroid Coaster and it warned me at a good amount of length before it put me into one of those "homing attack bottomless pits"
after hearing Drummond and Griffith since I was five, something about Sonic's new voice doesn't feel right. It's probably just me, though.
Not just you, Sega choosing happy high(er) pitched voice actors before also left a weird impression in my head.
Game World focuses A LOT of platforming. This is due to it not being able to handle a full level with 2 players. Instead, they focus more on 2D Sonic gameplay. Did you try those levels?

Edit: I thought people said Sonic could swim. I don't recall jumping to be considered swimming..

Last edited:
It does. I was playing Asteroid Coaster and it warned me at a good amount of length before it put me into one of those "homing attack bottomless pits"

To add on... Homing target markers appear and also there's this Yellow Triangle ! sign that appears whenever your near a Bottomless pit or an area that has death written somewhere there.

This happens at Asteroid Coaster before you even approach the Homing Attack Asteroid Area.

Also Star Carnival Act 1 counts towards this.
-----
While during the game I haven't got met with a cheap death... well... maybe one. (On rails trying to backtrack because I bypassed a Red Ring, I press A+Z and I fall THROUGH the rail to my death.)

Oh and first time using the Laser Wisp, I get sent into a Pit. >_>

I actually enjoyed Sonic Colors, along with my friend at his house. (Played Game land, and he kept leaving me behind most of the time.)

I haven't beaten the game yet, but I think I am at Planet Wisp, Asteroid Coaster, and... Aqua... something now.

Last edited:
1 I HAVE SONIC COLORS! IT ROCKS! 2 how do u have moving icons/images
Dude, you seriously need to read the rules. It's the third post in the last 10 minutes of yours I see with grammar mistakes. At least here you didn't write all like that like you did on the others...

Not just you, Sega choosing happy high(er) pitched voice actors before also
He meant Starlight Carnival 1.

In which, it doesn't warn you, but you should have been amazed so hard by the lightshow it gives that you should be able to stay focused.

Your fault. The 2 button IS FLASHING AND PUSHING DOWN. I mean.. come on.
Flashing and pushing down implies that I'm supposed to push the button, sure, but it doesn't tell me I'm supposed to keep pushing it. If you've played other games (DK64 is the first game that comes to mind, but there are millions), the pictures of the buttons will animate being pressed and released, but that isn't supposed to imply that I'm supposed to repeatedly push Z if I want to stay crouched!

I still say that the game should've done something to tell you that pushing the button multiple times actually does something, instead of leaving the player to figure it out for themselves. I was getting along just fine only pressing the button once, and then the game wants to throw this into the mix?

He meant Starlight Carnival 1.

In which, it doesn't warn you, but you should have been amazed so hard by the lightshow it gives that you should be able to stay focused.
Yeah, I know. I thought it would have the same warning. Oh well
I still say that the game should've done something to tell you that pushing the button multiple times actually does something, instead of leaving the player to figure it out for themselves. I was getting along just fine only pressing the button once, and then the game wants to throw this into the mix?
I'm betting most people have figured out you're supposed to keep pushing it. It shouldn't be a big worry since it only happens once and then you know it forever.
Edit: Another point is that the button that is pushing down IS STILL THERE after you press A. If it was a one time thing, don't you think it would go away?
but that isn't supposed to imply that I'm supposed to repeatedly push Z if I want to stay crouched!
After you crouch, the button animation goes away.

Last edited:
Edit: Another point is that the button that is pushing down IS STILL THERE after you press A. If it was a one time thing, don't you think it would go away?
Possibly, but that's not my point. My point is that, once I get used to nothing bad happening if I only press A once, I assume I won't have to press it multiple times when the prompt comes up. If it gave some sort of buzzer or something for not pressing it enough times, it would've been so much more clearer.

After you crouch, the button animation goes away.
That was an example from another game. lrn2context

All the Sonic Oldbies here will love the reward for getting all 180 Secret Red Rings on the Wii version.

Super. Fucking. Sonic. IN NORMAL GAMEPLAY!

The Dev team deserves a:
4112992803_5f68208cdc.jpg

All the Sonic Oldbies here will love the reward for getting all 180 Secret Red Rings on the Wii version.

Super. Fucking. Sonic. IN NORMAL GAMEPLAY!

While the thought is nice, I thought he was pretty poorly implemented, mainly because
1) No wisps -> No alternate routes
2) That stupid jingle. I timed it, and it's a four second long loop. Would it have killed them to include a few more notes? Seriously.

My brother unlocked the Miis in Game Land just now, and it's pretty funny what combinations you can make. In our most recent playthrough, I was a Ninja Mii and he was a Pig Mii. It was hilarious.

That was an example from another game. lrn2context
A fault when you read posts too fast/not clearly. :p Though, I have never played the game either so I have no idea how it handles button animations/etc. (DK)

My brother's friend started to play. He knew he had to mash A from the start. Eh.
But like I said, once you figured out you have to mash A. It isn't a problem anymore.
My brother unlocked the Miis in Game Land just now, and it's pretty funny what combinations you can make. In our most recent playthrough, I was a Ninja Mii and he was a Pig Mii. It was hilarious.
Wasn't it 20 red rings for Miis? I got that a while ago and it IS fun. The mii's look ridiculous and cute at the same time.
One issue I ran into with Miis though. When I finish the level and he does his jump. His face changes completely.

What are your favorite game land levels? Mine are 3-1,6-1,5-2,4-2, and 2-3.

Well, there goes any credibility you had!
+1
Ha, just kidding. I could understand why Sonic 4 is liked better. It was full 2D, had awesome physics, the music was better then Sonic 2, the bosses were original, and the game had so many stages. Oh wai

Sarcasm aside. Sonic 4 IS fully 2D and hardcore Sonic platforming. There is no boost, no 3D sections. Just.. classic Sonic.
I'm not saying I agree with his opinion, I prefer Sonic Colors.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Who is viewing this thread (Total: 1, Members: 0, Guests: 1)

Back