Sonic Colors!

Status
Not open for further replies.
Yeah, I've known about the box.
Crappy Sonic toys aren't new. In fact, a lot of the Sonic toys my friend owns look like that. They also break really easily and go into the garbage pile fast.

It doesn't matter to me anyways due to the fact it isn't coming to America.

Those are just mock-up pictures. The real figures (if they make them) will probably much more like the Jazwares 3.5" figures.

http://www.sonicstadium.org/games/sonic-colours/

New story and character details, there's also pictures of the themed Egg Pawns.

Also, mild spoiler warning.

That bit about Tails getting zapped by a brainwash machine is interesting.
I dunno, from what I heard on another forum:

Oop, according to Dread on TSS, the mind controlled Tails is just a throw-away plot. Happens for like 30 seconds and apparently nothing really happens. It's only there to say "Eggman's mind control machine works!"
Would have been cool to have Tails betray Sonic or have a boss fight, but no. That wouldn't be kid-friendly.[/sarcasm]
Still, in case it turns out they've got more planned with that than this guy says, they totally need to make a reference kind of like this:

STH_178_panel.jpg

Y'Know, I don't know if this has been noticed yet. However an image that was posted on the Sonic Stadium website that nobody here seems to have picked up on. I find it surprising.
soniccolourswiiplanetwi.jpg
As opposed to previous gameplay videos shown on youtube, this image might have a subtle sighting of an alternative unconfirmed controller option in Sonic Colors; Look at that A above the purple text "GREAT!" in that image, that seems like the A button from the gamecube controller. It certainly looks different from the common gameplay video shown

Before you question this, take a look at this part of a game clip I came across. Do tell me these look different.
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=AQ_3hu50Fuw#t=1m56s

Y'Know, I don't know if this has been noticed yet. However an image that was posted on the Sonic Stadium website that nobody here seems to have picked up on. I find it surprising.

Before you question this, take a look at this part of a game clip I came across. Do tell me these look different.
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=AQ_3hu50Fuw#t=1m56s

I'm really sure that's just the Gamecube controller, I don't think there's anything else it could be. The button you linked in that video is clear/white, like the A button on the Wii remote, the button in the picture is green, like the Gamecube controller.

I don't really know what you were trying to suggest, unless I'm missing something.

The 5 silver star-things on the bottom right screen look like those things in Sonic and the Secret Rings that give 20 rings each, don't they?

Actually, if you saw some gameplay videos, you can see mid stage that there are red rings. It seems like some kind of medal.

I think they're basically collectibles, like the medals/records/videotapes in Sonic Unleashed. All we know what they actually unlock right now is more co-op levels, although it may turn out grabbing them will get you more stuff than just that. Speaking of which, I really liked the collectibles in Unleashed, they gave you a lot of reason to explore than just 'BOOSTBOOSTBOOST'ing straight to the end. Except for the sun/moon medals, those were a terrible idea and whoever thought of making you grab them needs to be smacked. Repeatedly.

Look at that A above the purple text "GREAT!" in that image, that seems like the A button from the gamecube controller.

Good. I never liked the Wii controller for precision platforming anyway. Sonic Unleashed played so much better with using a Gamecube controller, in my opinion.

Huh? Pretty sure a long time ago it was confirmed to have support for...
Gamecube Controller
Classic Controller
Wii mote with Nunchuk
And Wii mote on its side.
(Sonic Unleashed Wii also had Green A button)

Just hit stands in the UK today, NGamer's first review is up and while scans likely will show up on the internets later today, the review summarized:

- "What if Sonic were to play Mario at his own game and gain a little ground? ...the result is Sonic Colours."

- "The Similarity to the Mario Galaxy Games is it's abundance of ideas. This is Sonic Team in an uncharacteristically creative and generous mood. It's one that suits them well. The addition of the power-altering wisps is what does it."

- "These aren't powerups, they're toys - single-use shots of pure fun that have the happy side effect of opening up new pathways in already pleasingly labyrinthine stages."

- "The lists of powers goes on and on, and backtracking to find new areas in which to use them is a big part of the fun."

- "Crucially, the Wisps don't sacrifice Sonic's speed; they simply reveal more runways for him to work on. And that's brilliant. Speed alone reduces gameplay to a simple progression of left to right, but moments of calm exploration add texture and a sense of adventure."

- "The environments are every bit as playful as the new wisp powers ... each of them is packed with stages large and small ... some are built with one idea stretched to the limit; others are constructed solely to test just how robust the new wisp powers are."

- "The result is a series of intricate and occasionally extremely tricky levels."

- "Again, we're reminded of Mario Galaxy, particularly when Sonic plummets off the bottom of the screen for the umpteenth time and we get exasperated at our own lack of skill rather than the unfairness of the game."

- "Better yet, every stage compels you to push harder, aim higher. Maintain that speed, keep your eyes open, cross any available digits and you'll see wonders."

- "The world is there to be reduced to a blur or discovered; to be sped through or explored to your satisfaction for an improved rank and more hidden medals. The choice is yours."

- "Find enough of those medals and you'll unlock Game World, a Sonic shaped satellite that houses Eggman's Sonic simulator."

- "As a multiplayer game Sonic Colours is less than perfect (the speedy action often results in a game of tug of war using the screen as a rope)."

- The ability to swap Sonic for your Miis means there's still throwaway fun to be had." (in multiplayer)

- "If the 2D sections reconfirm Sonic as a true platforming superstar and make a virtue of his speed, the 3D sections can be more problematic. Kinetic, beautiful, and dizzying. Perhaps it's because the sort of precision we demand just isn't compatible with speed. To be fair, Sonic Colours does a good job of making these sections work but the result is stages that can feel on rails or, worse, railed for safety. But while still not perfect, they are definitely the best of Sonic's career to date."

- "Much of the game plays out in 2D."

- "The storytelling here is *gasp* rather good. Humour is the strong point and even Tails manages to be less nauseating than usual."

- "For the most part Sonic Colours is big on spectacle, so it's odd that the bosses are so lightweight. What good ideas are here (sabotaging a huge battleship before taking on its clockwork captain) are repeated."

- "Only the Starlight Carnival Boss, an immense warship, really pushed our skills by constantly switching from 2D to 3D."

- "But these are minor niggles in an otherwise first rate package."

- "Sonic Colours' greatest achievement, then, is in handing back control to the player without losing that queasy feeling that you're about to go off the rails."

- "Sonic's ditched the J-Rock for a full on orchestra, with impressively catchy results."

Summary - "Colours Rockets Sonic closer to the stratospheric heights of past glories and hints at a great future. Welcome back old friend, it's been to long."

Score- 86%

In comparison they gave Sonic Unleashed 58% and Black Knight 56%. They even sometimes hand out bad scores to Nintendo games, being harsher with their reviews than most other Nintendo-related reviewers. This is a very good sign.
http://forums.sega.com/showthread.php?348757-First-Sonic-Colors-Review!&p=6286065#post6286065

First review! AND ITS GOOD!

Planet Wisp Act 2 is all different now; you're not climbing a giant tower anymore. The music is absolutely amazing by the way; how the hell that ended up in a Sonic game I have no idea.

First Sonic Colours Cutscene Revealed:

http://www.sonicstadium.org/news/2010/10/joint-world-exclusive-first-sonic-colours-cutscene-footage/

I personally think Tails' voice is spot on and Sonic's voice is quite deep this time round, but I suppose we'll get used to it overtime.

Well, the writing is already a huge step up from pretty much anything Sega's ever made. Still cheesy and cartoony, like Unleashed, but that's the entire point of Sonic. Also, Sonic is kind of coming off as very Deadpool-esque. I am OK with this!

About the new voices... I'm not really sure yet. Tails actually sounds like a male, for once, and I definitely don't hate Sonic's voice, but I don't really know where I'd rank Craig with White, Drummond, and Griffith. It'd help if I heard how he sounds in something besides a casual conversation, probably.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Who is viewing this thread (Total: 1, Members: 0, Guests: 1)

Back