Won't Fix Unclimbable walls can be climbable.

Status
Not open for further replies.

ErickTH

Locked User
So i found a glitch which is rather useful.

As you know, some walls can't be climbed by Knuckles. Want to climb them up? Easy: Grab onto a climbable wall, and move to the unclimbable one without jumping. I found this glitch for the first time at Deep Sea Zone 1.

Last edited by a moderator:
I'm glad that somebody brought this up again, because I wanna get this in before Inuyasha locks the topic.

This is a bug, there's no good reason why it should be happening. Who the hell would make a level based of what's clearly an oxymoron? Climbing a non-climbable wall? Give me a break!

This is exactly how it worked in the classic games, too. You climb up to a spot you're not supposed to and Knuckles lets go of the wall and falls to the floor. The only difference being that there was no notion of a "non-climbable block", simply just a solid object placed on the wall, which can't be climbed because climbing is programmed to only work on level terrain.

Not to mention Deep Sea Zone clearly does not adhere to this design, it's built with the assumption that non-climbable walls are, well, not climbable.

EDIT: Plus, when you strafe into sky, you let go, so why should this be any different? It's inconsistent and it's stupid and it's dumb and I don't like it.

I'm glad that somebody brought this up again, because I wanna get this in before Inuyasha locks the topic.

This is a bug, there's no good reason why it should be happening. Who the hell would make a level based of what's clearly an oxymoron? Climbing a non-climbable wall? Give me a break!

This is exactly how it worked in the classic games, too. You climb up to a spot you're not supposed to and Knuckles lets go of the wall and falls to the floor. The only difference being that there was no notion of a "non-climbable block", simply just a solid object placed on the wall, which can't be climbed because climbing is programmed to only work on level terrain.

Not to mention Deep Sea Zone clearly does not adhere to this design, it's built with the assumption that non-climbable walls are, well, not climbable.

EDIT: Plus, when you strafe into sky, you let go, so why should this be any different? It's inconsistent and it's stupid and it's dumb and I don't like it.

Do you really have to ask this? (see bold)

I want to state for the record that I agree with Neo. This should be fixed, for all the reasons he has mentioned. Compounding it all is the fact that sometimes walls are given the Not Climbable flag for the purpose of bolstering the realism of a level's physics. You couldn't climb a waterfall in real life, so you give it the Not Climbable flag (I am of course referring to simple single-linedef texture-based waterfalls). Being able to climb it by strafing onto it from another wall kind of defeats the purpose of it all.

The problem with fixing this is the way climbing is done. The sky check is sector based, so it's possible to check for that, and we do. Checking if a wall is noclimb is line based, and the climbing code is not line based (which is why you can't climb on a wall w/o a thok barrier).

What would probably need to occur is an additional check that iterates through all of the nearby lines and determines the one closest to your xy location. Then check the line to see if it's a part of the sector you're climbing on. Then check if it's noclimb.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Who is viewing this thread (Total: 1, Members: 0, Guests: 1)

Back