SRB2 Message Board  

Go Back   SRB2 Message Board > Archived > Outdated Releases (2.1.X) > Characters (2.1.X)

Silver The Hedgehog [dot pk3] Details »»
Silver The Hedgehog [dot pk3]
Developer Last Online: Apr 2020

Category: Version: SRB2 Rating: (16 votes - 4.44 average)
Released: 04-27-2016 Last Update: 06-17-2018 Installs: 20
Characters Scripts Sprites/Graphics

Nope, you're not dreaming, this one here is not a joke, it's the true and real Silver we've all been waiting for!

So, Silver is as fast as Tails, but cannot damage enemies by jumping on them. But don't worry, he has a bunch of abilities to make up for this!

Spoiler: Abilities!

All the abilities below require Psy Energy. With the exception of Float, they can't be used if you don't have more than a fifth of your energy! (The bar flashes red when you can't use them)

Float
Silver can float if you hold jump after using your double jump ability. Nothing too special. It slowly depletes your Psy energy. You are vulnerable while using it, so be careful.

Psycho Boost
Press Spin while jumping or floating to initiate the Psycho Boost. While boosting, press forward or backwards to go up or down. You can break walls in this state. If you hit a floor while boosting, Silver will start sliding and keep all of his momentum! Therefore, let your speed build up to make the most of your slide distance!
His boost is also affected by what Shield you're carrying on you.
Spoiler: Shield abilities
  • Whirlwind: Extends boost duration
  • Force: Taking a hit doesn't knock you out of boost state
  • Attraction: Drag nearby badniks into you and damage them
  • Elemental: Allows you to boost at full speed underwater. Slide will leave a fire trail.
  • Armageddon: Bumping a wall will cause a small explosion

Telekinesis
Telekinesis is simple to use, while on the ground, press Spin to lift objects, and press Spin again to throw them. If there's any nearby target, they will be locked on by thrown objects. You can use the weapon select buttons to select what object to interact with once held. It will periodically highlight in white. By default, all objects are interacted with at the same time.
You can press Toss Flag to drop (the selected) object(s).

Match
Silver can use his Telekinesis to throw monitors on players, reflect their shots back at them, throw players against walls, or even use a player to hit another player! Although the last two options aren't recommended as they will increase the cooldown before being able to throw the player.
Silver may throw Psycho Cuts which can be combined with Weapon Rings. All Cuts can go through players and will consume energy when thrown. They are often thrown in batches of 3, but Weapon Rings may change that rule when used.
Spoiler: Weapon Ring effects
  • Automatic: Shorter cooldown, smaller cuts. Green coloured.
  • Bounce: Bouncy cuts. Orange coloured.
  • Explosion: Single cut that explodes on impact. Black coloured.
  • Grenade: 2 abysimally slow cuts, very useful for area denial. Brown coloured.
  • Scatter: Fires 3 horizontal cuts together, spreading left and right. Purple coloured.
  • Rail: Fires faster cuts. Silver coloured.

Spoiler: Gameplay tips

As Silver, you are very dependant on your Psy Energy, therefore it's important that you use it wisely. As you play as him, learn about how far and how high a Psycho Boost can take you to maximize its utility while running to the next spot as it recharges.
Also remember that for hitting at least 3 enemies in a single throw, you can get unlimited Psy Energy for about 5 seconds! So also learn which patches of enemies can be abused to your advantage.
Sliding will keep your momentum, it's possible to jump out of a slide and keep floating very fast for minimal energy cost afterwards as a result.

In Ringslinger, as Silver, you're most effective in close quarters thanks to your Psycho Cuts. But be careful, they consume Energy and will leave you unable to use Telekinesis for the duration of their cooldown. Make use of the Weapon Rings to maximize their potential output.
Grabbing players with Telekinesis is rarely a viable option as the cooldown before being able to throw them is longer, and any good player will take this opportunity to retaliate. Focus on punishing greedy players who think they can get close to you safely with thrown objects and monitors.

Against Silver, keep your distances and avoid cramped areas as much as possible, his psycho cut is devastating should you be unable to move around to dodge it. Don't even think about getting close to him, he will throw monitors around, and these WILL destroy you once they start homing on you. He may also try to grab you, but if you happen to have any weapon that covers a wide area, you should be able to retaliate and break free very easily before he can throw you. Although Silver can grab your thrown rings, he can only grab so much, so you can just spam him from afar with red rings. Avoid low firerate weapons as he will easily be able to send those back to you. Rails are also a safe option, although nobody fucking likes them, they're devastating against Silver.

Silver also has a Super Form he can use in Single Player, which negates all Psy Energy cost mentionned in the spoilers above.

I hope you will have as much fun playing it than I had making it

Special Thanks
Speedwagon for the char select and end-of-level sign sprites
STCPhoton for the sliding sprites
Snu for coding assistance, online testing and help with sprites
MotorRoach for testing, advices and fixing the character select pic
LJ Sonik, Monster Iestyn, toaster, JTE and Inuyasha for a lot of help with the Lua, dumb scripter I am! :)
A good chunk of the Discord Chats I sent the WAD to to get error reports.

All of those who supported me while I was making this. Thank you, I love you all!

Download Now

File Type: pk3 Silver_f.pk3 (1.20 MB, 5583 views)

Screenshots

Click image for larger version

Name:	srb20889.png
Views:	3667
Size:	203.5 KB
ID:	13663   Click image for larger version

Name:	srb20891.png
Views:	3698
Size:	133.5 KB
ID:	13664   Click image for larger version

Name:	srb20892.png
Views:	2587
Size:	29.9 KB
ID:	13665   Click image for larger version

Name:	srb20893.png
Views:	2578
Size:	163.0 KB
ID:	13666   Click image for larger version

Name:	srb20894.png
Views:	2045
Size:	103.9 KB
ID:	13667  

Supporters / CoAuthors

Show Your Support

• This addon may not be copied, reproduced or published elsewhere without the author's permission.

Comments
Old 05-25-2016   #122
Terra
Needy child

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lilac View Post
Uh, i don't know if this is a 2.15 glitch, but when i use silver, your icon, a silver tails, and derpy silver comes up when i run.
Also i cant use any abilities.
Odd. That sounds much like when a wad is edited using a tool like XWE and automatically turns lowercase letters into uppercase letters, making the life icon and such appear in place of many sprites. I haven't been able to replicate this with Silver, however.

As for the character itself, it was refreshing to be able to play as a fully functioning Silver character with neat sprites, and the abilities are a great change of pace to use. Good job.
Old 05-29-2016   #123
PixelGamer64
White (T.U)

So while playing around as Silver again, I remembered that there was supposed to be a blue aura that goes over Silver's sprite when he uses his psychokinesis. The one that makes his sprite look all blue when he floats or uses psycho boost.

I know it appears in Software mode, but it doesn't appear in OpenGL, and I thought the devs had fixed that problem in 2.1.15, but I'm not sure.
Old 05-30-2016   #124
Potatosack
Or, "TelosTurntable"

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lilac View Post
Uh, i don't know if this is a 2.15 glitch, but when i use silver, your icon, a silver tails, and derpy silver comes up when i run.
Also i cant use any abilities.

Try re-downloading the wad

He was updated to fix it so
Old 06-08-2016   #125
Son!c

This is just amazing ! great job
Old 07-30-2016   #126
Son!c

Quote:
Originally Posted by MotorRoach View Post
...Silver is not an airplane. You should stop thinking of flight simulator games.
Silver can fly...

---------- Post added at 04:01 AM ---------- Previous post was at 03:59 AM ----------

Awesome WAD dude.
Old 07-30-2016   #127
"Lat'"
Stop it

Default Silver V whatever.whatever coming soon!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Son!c View Post
Silver can fly...
MotorRoach was referring to someone mentionning that Silver does not have inverted vertical controls when flying (like planes in most flight simulators)

Either way, I should take the occasion to announce an update coming pretty soon that is gonna add NiGHTS sprites, OpenGL psychokinesis layer fix along with eventual balances, especially in terms of Multiplayer, so I'd like to know what exactly should be nerfed or changed, since I know I don't usually do the best changes on my own and although fun to play as, I've seen lots of people complaining with how unfair Silver is in stuff like Tag (even though I know barely anyone plays that nowadays.)

You should also note that the update can't be released until FSonic gets a Lua fix, since as I stated in its thread, his DashMode Lua overwrites every character's stats to FSonic's, thus making Silver as fast as him and all, and Silver's NiGHTS sprites REQUIRE FSonic to be added. I technically have my own temporary fix, but I'm not sure I'm allowed to distribute it here, so we're gonna have to wait for now.
Old 07-30-2016   #128
StardustSpeedway
Super Neko~

The thing is that I would like to be nerfed, is when Silver throws you. You should get the chance to recover. Maybe, spin to curl into a ball and then use the primary ability?
Old 07-30-2016   #129
BASHDUP

You should add a timer, so if Silver grabs someone or fails to grab something (attempts to grab an object or player and fails) he has to wait a while before he can grab again. Or maybe allow the player to break free at some point. Maybe even add a signal or visual for when he tries to grab so players can know if they have an opening or not.
Old 07-30-2016   #130
Spectorious
Certified synth whore

I'm not sure if this is possible or not, but something that I think would benefit Silver would be to make it so that you only grab things that are in front of you instead of being able to grab things from any direction. This would make so that you don't accidentally grab something that you didn't intend to, and in some cases this renders you defenseless against other silver players.
Old 08-07-2016   #131
"Lat'"
Stop it

Reading above's suggestions, I did come up with some ideas that will change the way everyone plays Silver. By a lot.

So, to prove I started working on that new update that will change everything but the sprites because fuck you, sir, my sprites are a great headswap of FSonic;

Here's a little screenshot taken in OpenGL...
Old 08-08-2016   #132
Zero_the_artificial
Actually goes by DrStephen

Call me an ignorant fool but

What exactly are you showing? That it can be played in OpenGL? Because I only play on Software, so I never noticed something was wrong with OpenGL. Sweet to know that you're working on an update though!

Also I do art follow me kthx
https://twitter.com/Gianluu1999
Old 08-08-2016   #133
MotorRoach
Stay mad

To my knowledge, Silver's telekinesis color effect did not function within OGL up until now.
Old 08-08-2016   #134
"Lat'"
Stop it

Yeah, MotorRoach guessed right.

...well fuck
Old 08-08-2016   #135
MK.exe
The one and only!

Quote:
Originally Posted by "Lat'" View Post
Yeah, MotorRoach guessed right.

...well fuck
Multi carry, Take your pick.

Looks pretty complex to use @ _@
Old 08-08-2016   #136
NeonSonik15
TheRetroRenegade

He's a bit op for Match.
Old 08-09-2016   #137
StardustSpeedway
Super Neko~

'A bit OP' is a understatement. Try joining a server with everyone playing as Silver in Tag, I was lucky to have survived that one round. Hopefully, L@ could allow us to throw IT players as a option in future updates. (They can throw rings, so why not? It would be a matter of how quick you can press a button/click your mouse.)
Old 08-09-2016   #138
Sketch

Hmm... A remade Silver playstyle? Looks interesting. I'll keep my eye out on it.
Old 08-13-2016   #139
"Lat'"
Stop it

Default lat' only makes high quality gifs

More serious Silver progress.

However, please note, since Silver's Telekinesis is more demanding than before, it may cause slight framerate issues during netgames. Nothing too bad compared to what earlier builds of this WIP, such as the one in the gif, have given though. (where we could sometimes drop to half FPS on GFZ2 on SINGLEPLAYER.)
Old 08-14-2016   #140
elvinkonohana
usual stuff

Quote:
Originally Posted by "Lat'" View Post

More serious Silver progress.

However, please note, since Silver's Telekinesis is more demanding than before, it may cause slight framerate issues during netgames. Nothing too bad compared to what earlier builds of this WIP, such as the one in the gif, have given though. (where we could sometimes drop to half FPS on GFZ2 on SINGLEPLAYER.)
I'm spamming around.

Seems good keep it up!
Discord : ShihoAJoke#4764
Old 08-14-2016   #141
CobaltBW
Community Noise Maker
Developer

Flashbacks of ducknado.

Check out my soundcloud profile for music stuff