Better 2d Mode (srb2Better2d.exe) v0.13.2

Status
Not open for further replies.

Torgo

I have decided to release an exe mod that improves srb2 2d mode drastically. I was planing to only release this with SRB1 remake, but what with all the 2d levels being made, I figured that they should have some chance of being good.

So what are the changes from 1.09.4?

-Camera is pulled back to allow the player to see more of the field.
-Turning is now more responsive (Thanks Flame)
-Does not have the camera bug that I had in early IRC tests making the camera zoom in and out on the character constantly (Thanks Flame again).
-Has a modified srb1 sonic loaded so that if you want a character that is easier to control in 2D, you can choose him.

EDIT: Players now jump 10% higher if they are in 2d mode, in 3d mode the jump height is the same. I also included a test level in there from SRB1 Remake. It shows how 10% jumping could help 2d levels. It doesn't autoload, so if you want to see it, use the batch files.

34pxev9.png

EDIT: I fixed the bug where the character has no Y movement when moving left and right. This should be fixed in mid air as well as in conveyor belts.

EDIT AGAIN: Now srb2Better2d uses 1.09.4 as a base. There were some problems with zoom tubes not working sometimes, and I think this will fix that. I also had a reported error regarding the music.data, so I think using 1.09.4 fixed that too.

MAIN LINK: http://srb2ffh.supersanctuary.net/921srb2Better2d.zip
Mirror: http://torgo.vactual.net/Files/srb2Better2d.zip

For those that want the source, I will provide the ones that I changed. All you have to search for is SRB1MOD and you will find the changes quickly. D_main.c just has srb1sonic.b2d addfile code. The source files are NOT required to play the exe.

Source files: http://srb2ffh.supersanctuary.net/679srb2Better2dSource.zip
Mirror: http://torgo.vactual.net/Files/srb2Better2dSource.zip

I really appreciate the way turning was executed. This is what 2D mode should be like in 1.1

Re: Better 2d Mode (srb2Better2d.exe)

Torgo said:
-Turning is now more responsive (Thanks Flame)
-Does not have the camera bug that I had in early IRC tests making the camera zoom in and out on the character constantly (Thanks Flame again).
Oh wow, I completely forgot I had even helped you with these things.

Torgo said:
EDIT: One more thing that I forgot to add. I was going to make 2d mode have slightly higher jumping, but I haven't been successful implementing it. SSNTails advised me to use
Code:
    factor = player->jumpfactor;
    if (twodlevel || (player->mo->flags2 & MF2_TWOD))
        factor += player->jumpfactor / 10;
I haven't been able to make it compile with the code, so any help on this would be great.
I'm thinking you should have this block of code as
Code:
    else

Of course this is how I think it should be. I could be wrong though.

In p_user.c at line 1351 (SRB21094/branches/DOOM)

Replace the below
Code:
        P_SetObjectMomZ(player->mo, FixedDiv(player->jumpfactor*player->mo->momz,100*FRACUNIT), false); // Custom height
With the below
Code:
#if 1 // Increase jump height by 10% in 2D mode 
    {
        int factor = player->jumpfactor;

P_SetObjectMomZ(player->mo, FixedDiv(factor*player->mo->momz,100*FRACUNIT), false); // Custom height
    }
#else
        P_SetObjectMomZ(player->mo, FixedDiv(player->jumpfactor*player->mo->momz,100*FRACUNIT), false); // Custom height
#endif
The above code increases the player's jump height by 10% in 2D mode.

@Flame: It change would have to be
Code:
        factor = player->jumpfactor + (player->jumpfactor / 10);
    else

In this case "factor" would be 0 or uninitialized, so adding 10% of the jumpfactor to it would be bad.

Chisuun said:
I really appreciate the way turning was executed. This is what 2D mode should be like in 1.1

I agree. I like this improved 2D mode. It even made it seem easier to cross the first gap with the mario fireballs in Mario Koopa Blast Zone act 3. =D

I think that the new 2D mode is very interesting, but I have two things to say.

1. I'm currently designing a new 2D-mode level, and I think the old way actually works better for that particular level. I think it would be better if there were a way to adjust the camera distance for individual 2D-mode levels.

[color=indigo said:
Torgo[/color]]-Turning is now more responsive
Elaborate, please. ,:(

Mystic said:
Chisuun said:
It already is. Has been for a few months now.

Oh, cool. I don't really keep up with any news that comes out to the public on 1.1, so that's good to know.

Turtle Man said:
@Flame: It change would have to be
Code:
        factor = player->jumpfactor + (player->jumpfactor / 10);
    else

In this case "factor" would be 0 or uninitialized, so adding 10% of the jumpfactor to it would be bad.
And this is why I have you.
Of course, I would have figured this out when I try to compile it.

I have finally updated the code (thanks Turtle Man) and included a test level in there.

Fawfulfan, I mean that when you turn, you face the other direction instead of backpedaling to a stop and then face the other direction.

glaber said:
I just compaired the 1.1leak with this, and This has better turning for sonic.

Well of course it does. The 1.1 match beta has no alterations to 2D mode; it is identical to 1.09.4 in this regard.

It's better! Muc better, but a few maps that have small hallways, the camera gets stuck and if there is a thok barrer, it just screwes up. :\ Possibly make it so it can adjust? It's kinda wonky.

No, it is much different. It does not force characters to be slower, I made it a choice for the player. It also does not tilt the field when you go fast. I don't think shuffle's mod modified the player turn code.

Yeah, I know that some 2d levels made for 1.09.4 don't work correctly. I figure that if you want to make it for this exe, then you would say so when you release a WAD. I don't think it would be to hard to adjust, just make the distance between the wall in front of the camera and the play area farther apart.

Torgo said:
I have finally updated the code (thanks Turtle Man) and included a test level in there.

Fawfulfan, I mean that when you turn, you face the other direction instead of backpedaling to a stop and then face the other direction.

Oh, right. Yeah, that was an annoying glitch--glad this version fixes it.

Alright, I updated the exe to fix a problem that Someone was having with his wad. I will update this post in detail later <<.

EDIT: I fixed the bug where the character has no Y movement when moving left and right. This should be fixed in mid air as well as in conveyor belts.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Who is viewing this thread (Total: 1, Members: 0, Guests: 1)

Back